Nappies for faecal incontinence (warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akastus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
So, I was browsing through my photo collection the other day and noticed a few baby pictures of one of my (very much) younger cousins wearing practically nothing but a nappy. He was displaying the classic "duck's tail" of a soggy nappy, and it occurred to me that whether due to stretchiness, or a deliberate deepening of the seat, baby nappies seem to offer more room (relatively speaking) for bowel movements.

I very rarely mess, since I don't like the clean-up afterwards, but I don't think I've ever encountered an adult nappy that made it an easy experience. There's very little room for bowel movements to expand into, even when the nappy is wet enough to sag. Now, this isn't all that surprising, since faecal incontinence is a small subset of adult incontinence, but it did get me wondering - are there any adult nappies that are constructed specifically with faecal incontinence in mind? Had anyone ever encountered a nappy with a deep seat? I'm pretty sure that I never have.

Last edited:
Abena M4s and DRY 24/7S worked fine. The ABU Simples have worked the best. My fecal incontinence isn't really that solid though, so it has been all about the leak guards. Abena worked well until they started to have the elastics seperate from the leak guards defeating their purpose. Then Dry cheaped out on materials. Fortunately ABU makes one great diaper.

Comficare were ideal in this respect, especially if you sized up. i think that a seemingly long forgotten aspect of disposable diaper design, the elastication, plays a crucial role in ensuring containment, particularly when wet and also under the influence of rash/barrier creams which have a degrading effect on most designs/construction methods. at the moment, as far as i know, only one brand is resistant to the latter, but is let down in all other respects by it's skimpy cut.

I'd say the easiest time I've had messing diapers is a split between Abena M3s (my daily diaper) and Bambino Bellissimos (which I buy for long trips or to relax). They both seem to have relatively capacious butt pockets.

The hardest time, however, was with Molicare Super Plus. They seemed to fit me OK, but I found them really tight to my butt and really narrowly cut.

There might be all sorts of different experiences with this due to the different shapes and sizes of wearers' bottoms. I mess a lot but this has only been an issue when very large / firm poos have collided with very tight nappies. A nappy with a deliberately loose-fitting seat might be uncomfortable to wear when wet, or if worn inside snug-fitting clothes to prevent it 'flapping' any advantage gained might be nullified. I much prefer to have a snug nappy that has to be pulled down a little to do a really big one; once I've finished it can sometimes be pulled back up to prevent things flopping around. If you like to poo in a full squat position (and I do when on the potty but usually stand up to fill my nappy) then the shape of the seat is more critical and needs to be very loose indeed not to offer some resistance. A booster pad at the front, with its rear edge positioned mid-crotch, creates a small pouch to poo into. It definitely helps to reduce forward spreading but obviously doesn't increase the waste capacity of a given nappy. Curiously I found Molicare Super Plus quite good for messing in, as they have tall inner leak-guards that did a good job of preventing messy leaks. This seems to be a more important criterion, at least to someone of my particular shape, than the theoretical poo capacity of the seat area.

Abena make the F6 which is specifically designed for fecal incontinence, but I doubt it offers any advantages over a proper nappy as it seems more like a way to collect poo without having to wear a nappy.

I've always thought that one of the main reasons that diapers work much better for babies and infants, besides their level of activity verses adults, is the proportion of their bodies to baby diapers, verses the proportion of an adult's body to an adult diaper.

For babies, the diaper is much bigger, deeper, and wider on them, and the waist of the diaper rises further up the front and back. For the adults, diapers are more cut like a pair of briefs.

For me personally, although I rarely go in my diapers any more, deeper, wider diapers are easier to poop in. This is probably why I like to wear my diapers larger than my preferred size.

I feel great about messing in dry 24/7 they have a very spacious fit. I do understand what you mean by the difficulty of messing in a diaper it seems like you're half done and then the diaper is pushing back against you.

I think this difference is that with an adult sized body the leak guards are going to be doing more of the heavy lifting when it comes to containment than the free space, whereas on a smaller body such as a baby or toddler you can get away with a lower leak guard to free space ratio than you would on an adult sized diaper.

Also more free air means more ability for that space to be suddenly shrunk which would cause more airing out of odour than would a smaller shrink in air volume. Bellows effect so to speak. If you have more free air in the back when you go to sit down the compression is going to have to push that higher volume of air somewhere, which will be into the air around you. The lower amount of free air volume in the interior of the diaper also assists when it comes to odour discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back