Nappies at the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lozza1979

Hi

Has anyone here worn nappies at an airport and through airport scanners etc.If so did you get any trouble or questioning? I may be flying to Sweden soon from UK and want to continue wearing, but don't want any embarrassing situations as I'll be flying with family.I may just not bother as I don't need nappies and don't want to risk issues unnecessarily.

NovaDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
If you don't need them, don't do it. There is a very high likelihood of you being given additional screening because the bulge will make them suspicious. Plus, your family will wonder why you never get up to go to the restroom.

norcal57

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I've haven't traveled overseas in a long time. I do travel a lot in the US, and never had had an issue. Don't go crazy, leave the diaper pins and plastic pants with metal snaps in your luggage, and make sure you go through dry and you will be fine. It is not a big deal.

BabyFoxDK

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
There are several threads on the subject, I'd suggest trying out the search function to find them.

L

Lozza1979

If you don't need them, don't do it. There is a very high likelihood of you being given additional screening because the bulge will make them suspicious. Plus, your family will wonder why you never get up to go to the restroom.

I think you're probably right.I wear Attends regular 9 which are thin and discreet, but they will still show during screening.I'm staying a week and even if I get past the airport its unlikely I'm going to pack enough nappies to last the whole time.I guess I'll just have to go a week without.

Soakingboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
As suggested by BabyFoxDK, there are several existing threads on this subject already. Having said that, I am here now, so might as well share my thoughts. I travel a lot by air, and have done fair share of it with diapers. If I intend to wear on the flight I will always go through security with normal underwear, and then change into the diaper in the restrooms nearer the gate. It is just easier. Keep in mind, you could look even more suspicious if you clearly look nervous about something...

If you MUST wear from arrival at airport all the way through, then as suggested, make sure you have not used it. There is no law saying you can't wear a (used) diaper through security, but the wet sap/pulp will likely show up as matter on the scanner.

Just my thoughts.
A.

edward321

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
This thread brings back a memory.
I live in Newfoundland, Canada and my spinal surgeon is located in Montreal, Canada at the Montreal Shriners Hospital.
Back about 11years ago I had to do another follow up appointment to check on the success of my surgery.
Now my surgery involved a fusion to the spine, metal rods in my back.
So when going through security system it beeps, I check to make sure I have no keys, rings, zippers, even took my glasses off. *BEEP* I explained i have metal rods in my back, I was then asked nicely by the guard to come in the back room for a moment, where they asked to examine my back my diaper was completely noticeable when they lift my shirt but nothing was said they just wanted to confirm the surgical scars were real so after like 3 minutes I was on my way.

I always find it funny I always beep going the metal detector.

willnotwill

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I've worn diapers on every airplane trip I've been on practically in the last ten years. It's not an issue. Make sure yours is clean prior to screening.

perlFerret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
We're going on our honeymoon in October. It will be international but not transcontinental. There will be a two hour bus trip to another city, followed by airport security, then a two hour flight. My plan was to wear on the bus, then take off that one in a restroom and go commando through security, then put on a fresh one after security. Thoughts?

whiskeybravo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover

I've never had them need to do anything other than normal, a normal diaper wont set off the (it's a microwave scanner, right?) scanner. and I don't fly padded all the time. But I do fly quite a bit, and no-one reacts any different to me.

edward321

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Unless they upgraded the scanners than no your diaper won't it off. I've worn one through the scanner before and never had an issue

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
We're going on our honeymoon in October. It will be international but not transcontinental... Thoughts?

Not transcontinental, eh? So... trans-incontinental then?! :p

(Sorry :giggles:)

Oh! Congratulations on your marriage and hope you have a fantabulous honeymoon! :)

tndyperboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I agree there needs a "sticky" or traveling FAQ. In over 20 years of flying domestic & international I've never been asked about the diaper I had on. Even the few times it was wet.

Relax, diaper up if you want and enjoy your trip.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Carer
I did this several times in the last years while flying around Europe and never ran into in any issue. When I want to be supercareful, I'll just avoid wearing my plastic pants while going through security because most of the ones I own have metal snaps, although more than once I've passed through metal detectors with them on and nothing happened. The thickness of my padding has never been a problem, of course I wear clothes comfy enough that one can't really tell what's under them.

The closest call I ever had was a couple of weeks ago, at Berlin airport, on my way back home. I was wearing a M4 with a booster and decided not to take my plastic pants off. As I went through the metal detector, it beeped, so the guard proceeded to re-scan me with a handheld detector - which beeped again at the snaps - and pat me down. The whole procedure was carried out very quickly and smoothly, and no question were asked. Pat-down was very light too, the guard performing it was clearly well-trained at recognizing potentially suspicious stuff without being invasive. Due to the bulk of the diaper, made even thicker by the fact it was far from dry - I had left the hotel that morning, and was planning to change just before boarding on the airplane - it's impossible that it could have passed unnoticed. My guess is that the guard understood exactly what was under my shorts, and I wasn't the first - nor the last - diapered person he checked in his professional life.

If you want to fly diapered and you're worried about getting exposed in front of your family, just avoid having metal stuff on you that could set the detectors off. I doubt you'll be flying as thickly padded as I was anyway, so even in case of a pat-down the bulk would be pretty inconspicuous. And if worst comes to worst, diapers are certainly not an illegal type of underwear, so there's really nothing security agents can say about it!

perlFerret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
Not transcontinental, eh? So... trans-incontinental then?! :p

(Sorry :giggles:)

Oh! Congratulations on your marriage and hope you have a fantabulous honeymoon! :)
Lol thanks. I'll be wearing mostly for fun but the anxiety disorder and mild sedatives mean that I have to pee often so I appreciate the pun. :)

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
We're going on our honeymoon in October. It will be international but not transcontinental. There will be a two hour bus trip to another city, followed by airport security, then a two hour flight. My plan was to wear on the bus, then take off that one in a restroom and go commando through security, then put on a fresh one after security. Thoughts?

I've yet to do it, but from the several threads I've read on the subject, you've got the safest plan. The biggest concern (and the issue that got media attention a while back) was a man going through a scanner with a wet diaper. That tripped a bunch of stuff and that plus some extremely insensitive guards resulted in huge embarrassment. Dry diapers in a handbag, on the other hand, seem like they'd be fine, and I've yet to hear of anyone having a problem with that.

In the past, several people have also said that they went through security with a dry diaper on and had no issues. Quattrus lucked out, I think, and a less sensitive airport staff could have made the situation of plastic pants setting off a detector much more public and problematic. One hopes that's a sign that people are being trained to be more discreet.

Also, add my vote for making this a sticky. General info about security with the option of people to share their past incidents or successful experiences.

L

Lozza1979

I have decided not to do it after all.We're flying Ryan Air who are very tight with their luggage restrictions.To save money on luggage handling I'm sharing a suitcase with another family member which I'm not too keen on as I like my privacy.My more private stuff I'll carry in small travel bag but you're only allowed up to 10 KG so I will only be able to pack necessities and not nappies.I'll just go a week without.To be honest it will be good to take a break from them for a while anyhow after wearing 24/7 for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.