My Sewing Thread: AB Clothing and Diaper Projects (pic heavy)

TeddyUrsadorable said:
Those are awesome! Keep up the great work.
Thanks :). I may just never go back to modeling diapers on mannequins to show the fit 😂.

By the by, your excellent bear cutout inspired to me to start sewing with my red plaid bears and moose on white fleece. I've got a pair bloomer briefs going.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Teddy
I also finished making a few more square diaper flats with some different fabrics. They are ridiculously easy to make and they can turn out really excellent with the right fabric. I recently bought some good high loop stretch terry in green. This is a doubled flat using a Jo fold.

Who says you can't get a great fit with only a Snappi?
stretch terry flat 06_SM.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks, BobbiSueEllen and WillFord384
Quick update:
-Work continues on the summer style bubble romper design. I think I finally have an accurate formula for drafting the scoop neck and everything else in the bodice to any size.

-Still working on the ade vintage style cloth diaper draft guide. I wanted to get a test piece together before any final revisions. Going to be sewing this up tomorrow. So far I'm quite happy for how the overall shape comes out. I'll be really curious to see how the triangle shape legs end up fitting.
ade cloth diaper draft 01.jpg

-After being inspired by @TeddyUrsadorable excellent bear cutout, I made a pair of diaper bloomers with like fabric. The pattern is one for little humans, redrafted to fit bigger humans.
Bear Diaper Bloomer 01.jpg

No one in diapers should go around bare bottomed, but that's not to say they couldn't go bear-bottomed ;).

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: longallsboy, Angelapinks, Teddy and 1 other person
Some stuff found previously (on my old pc):
T2eC16J.JPG
2309241459.jpg
942618707.jpgcartamodello pagliaccetto bimbo maggio 1952.jpg1978670013.jpg

• Love
Reactions: KnappFlannel, Angelapinks, Seasonedcitizen and 3 others
Wao!! This is a fantastic thread.
Wish I could sew like you guys.
It gives a little hope to the small boy inside me to come out of his bubble. To get dressed like this, like it is in his dreams, a 7 year old boy dressed as a baby Walking hand in hand with his mother

• Love
Reactions: KnappFlannel and longallsboy
KnappFlannel said:
Bubble Leg Shortalls pt 1

This is my test piece for a 'boy' bubble leg style shortall. It's a variation between what's affectionally known here in the south as JonJons and a more traditional bubble romper. The body and straps are made with lightweight denim. The bib lining, functional pocket, and inseam gusset are print flannel, and the heavy duty metal snaps are reinforced with twill.
View attachment 57954 View attachment 57955
View attachment 57956View attachment 57957
Would you be willing to share the pattern with us so I can make one too?

Reactions: KnappFlannel, Blekyss and BobbiSueEllen
Don't know if this will tide you over until @KnappFlannel replies:
Screenshot_20211008-194857~2.png
Don't worry about numerical measurements or ratios, just adapt it to suit your bodyshape for however you want it to look or feel.
A 30gsm frost protection fleece makes for a good template material, so you can get it fettled before committing to sewing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KnappFlannel, Blekyss, EclipseWolf and 1 other person
Question. If you're sewing for someone who barely walks, is it possible to forward face the leg holes of the cloth diaper itself? Sitter's trousers have forward facing leg holes, after all.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: Blekyss and BobbiSueEllen
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Question. If you're sewing for someone who barely walks, is it possible to forward face the leg holes of the cloth diaper itself?
Yep 😁
You can do anything you want! @KnappFlannel probably has a ready-to-go pattern, but the vintage one in this thread is about the right shape for someone who's immobile or seated (lots of coverage around the seat).
Obviously, babes-in-arms designs are generally going to work better such instances.
I have a worry, though, about being sat in a cloth diaper/nappy for long periods; the addition of a thick, fleece liner would serve as a 'quick dispersion' and a 'one way' layer (not strictly 'one way', but the nature of it would prevent too much urine being held against the skin, with the urine being wicked away or reabsorbed into the surrounding, lower pressured diaper area). It could be in-built to the diaper or separate; if the latter, a standard diaper/nappy liner (or frost protection fleece, as I buy them) would be needed.

• Love
Reactions: KnappFlannel and Blekyss
KnappFlannel said:
Bubble Leg Shortalls pt 1

This is my test piece for a 'boy' bubble leg style shortall. It's a variation between what's affectionally known here in the south as JonJons and a more traditional bubble romper. The body and straps are made with lightweight denim. The bib lining, functional pocket, and inseam gusset are print flannel, and the heavy duty metal snaps are reinforced with twill.
View attachment 57954 View attachment 57955
View attachment 57956View attachment 57957

NOTE : I have Classic Autism and ADHD.

Totally amazing!! 💜💜

Yes, this is a cross-mix between a Jon Jon and a shortall. What area in the South do you live in? I'm from the West Coast, but want to move to the Carolinas, preferably South Carolina. I absolutely adore longalls and jon jons. Those things are so friggin adorable. I did not even know what a longall was until a mom from Northern Virginia from eBay introduced me to one in 2002. Longalls and jon jons are unknown here on the West Coast. Longalls and jon jons have full backs though. They almost look like a child is in a jumper, or it resembles a turtle shell virtually, like a romper. 💜💜

Usually these outfits are more dressier and are more for wearing to church on Sundays and are also worn with peter pan collar shirts. Some preschoolers wear them as every day clothing even to daycare and nursery school. I know several moms who are my friends who dress their actual (chronological) age toddler boys, and I've seen in photos plenty of preschool age children even up to age 5 or 6 years old wearing them. 💜💜 Jon jons and longalls often go well well with peter pan collar shirts, kneesocks, and T strap (similar to Mary Janes) buckle leather shoes. Like, awww.... Totally adorable in every way. Some boys wear the saddle shoes instead of the T strap shoes. I think T strap shoes are much more cuter though. 💜 I never thought boys could even wear such shoes - I always thought only little girls could wear T strap shoes because I only saw little girls wearing them in my area in the 1980s when I was in elementary school. Not common at all on the West Coast, but the Deep South is a different story. I would say this is a very popular way to dress little boys in the South. It is not that unusual in South Carolina and Georgia, but I feel the greatest concentration of where this is most popular is in Alabama. In some areas of Mobile, Montgomery, Auburn, but also upper class suburbs in Birmingham such as Homewood, Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, even more north like Gardendale, and places north of there like Cullman, Decatur, Huntsville, etc. It is a very popular thing in Northern Alabama for sure. 😋

I actually had a mom on eBay from Michigan (that 99% of the time makes actual children's clothes) make me this blue polyester / cotton longall with a peter pan collar shirt with piping. I found these kneesocks made by a children's sock company in my size, and I found this vintage dark green Start Rite T strap buckle shoe from an Ebayer from Canada in a European size 41 1/2 (8 1/2 men's USA). I actually wear a European 42 (9 men's USA). I am in my mid 40s and I actually have Classic Autism (more severe than Asperger Syndrome) and also ADHD. Because of that, I am actually emotionally and socially (and in some ways, even mentally) like a 4 1/2 to 5 year old. I have a friend in Eastern North Carolina and she has 4 kids, 3 of which are teens and are normal, but her youngest son who is 7 years old now has Classic Autism and ADHD just like me. We both first talked about age 3 1/2 years old and walked at 21-22 months old, although we are 38 years apart chronologically. Anyway, he wore longalls, Jon jons, and T strap shoes till he was at least 5 1/2 years old. So with his mom's blessings, I decided to be a lookalike / doppelganger of him during Halloween 2 years ago. All my mom friends loved it! (I belong to several high end boys clothing resale groups on FB). And thought I was very cute. Even my friend from North Carolina, the one with the Autistic son I was trying to be a lookalike of, commented that I was a good soul and ALMOST as cute as him 😁😁💜. I really look like I'm 21 even wearing normal clothes, and seriously look like a very tall 12 year old if I wear a longall. I want to actually have a primary plaid gingham longall made for me at this point. There is also a company that makes children's T strap shoes in Spain that makes this incredibly adorable tan (almost burnt orange in color) T strap, and I want them to make me one in my size. I need a custom made shoe last though as they go up only to size 38 European and I wear a 42. That could cost me thousands of dollars, though it would be worth it if they could do it for me. Spain makes very cute and high quality leather T strap shoes for children and even ladies. 38 is an 8 ladies / 6 men's, and most females have a size 8 foot or smaller.

I'd like to share some photos of some longalls and T strap shoes I'd love to have made for me. Send a private message to me and I will send you some photos of some longalls other companies have made that I think are adorable and some of me and some photos of T strap shoes from Spain. When I showed some of my mommy friends my idea for the primary plaid gingham longalls and the T strap shoes, they all thought I would look STUNNING wearing that. One even said smashing. I can definitely pull off the look for sure! LOL. 💜💜

Take care - longallsboy 💜💜

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KnappFlannel, Angelapinks and BobbiSueEllen
Blekyss said:
Wao!! This is a fantastic thread.
Wish I could sew like you guys.
It gives a little hope to the small boy inside me to come out of his bubble. To get dressed like this, like it is in his dreams, a 7 year old boy dressed as a baby Walking hand in hand with his mother
Good luck! If we can support your venture in some way, let us know :)

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
ade said:
@ade Thanks for posting these. Warms the heart. I actually finished a working model of the "ade diaper" pattern in linen. I'll have to post some pics.

I've been blackly depressed the last two months and it's all I've been able to do to to be barely functional in my real life. It's slowly getting better. I hate I've let this thread go so long without posting anything. I appreciate all you commenting and helping me get my head back in the game. Really, Thank You all :)

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: ade, BobbiSueEllen and longallsboy
KnappFlannel said:
I've been blackly depressed the last two months and it's all I've been able to do to to be barely functional in my real life. It's slowly getting better. I hate I've let this thread go so long without posting anything. I appreciate all you commenting and helping me get my head back in the game. Really, Thank You all :)
Yikes! Any rhyme or reason...or just outta the blue? I hope you're doing better than merely functioning...you're too good a person to have to suffer so deeply! 🤗

• Love
Reactions: ade and KnappFlannel
ade said:
Yep 😁
You can do anything you want! @KnappFlannel probably has a ready-to-go pattern, but the vintage one in this thread is about the right shape for someone who's immobile or seated (lots of coverage around the seat).
Obviously, babes-in-arms designs are generally going to work better such instances.
I have a worry, though, about being sat in a cloth diaper/nappy for long periods; the addition of a thick, fleece liner would serve as a 'quick dispersion' and a 'one way' layer (not strictly 'one way', but the nature of it would prevent too much urine being held against the skin, with the urine being wicked away or reabsorbed into the surrounding, lower pressured diaper area). It could be in-built to the diaper or separate; if the latter, a standard diaper/nappy liner (or frost protection fleece, as I buy them) would be needed.
@SpAzpieSweeTot YES YES YES YES 100% YES.

Diapers and covers with front facing legs are front and center for my interests in design and drafting. One of the very first designs I drafted out was specifically for the front-facing legs. It's actually super easy to do a basic cover with this feature. You can draft a simple but well fitting pattern with just 6 straight lines.

I will dig out a draft and sample piece to show!

Reactions: ade, BobbiSueEllen and longallsboy
KnappFlannel said:
Good luck! If we can support your venture in some way, let us know :)

I don't know if you read my post I just wrote about 40 minutes ago, but there's this company in South Carolina that makes this longall and I love it and would love this in primary plaid gingham (different color than the photos I am going to show you). Same style longall but different color. The company can't make it for me because they only have a pattern up to size 4T and without a pattern, they can't do it; otherwise they probably would. They were very nice to me, but suggested I find a seamstress. I need to find someone who can make this...💜

The primary plaid gingham fabric color is the one in the first photo that is labeled #4. The two other photos are the photos of the particular style that I liked from that children's clothing company, the back of the longall in photo 2, and the front in photo #3. 💜💜

- longallsboy 😁

Attachments

• 11754848_1593180280943769_5425614095468314250_o (1).jpg
    11754848_1593180280943769_5425614095468314250_o (1).jpg
    290 KB · Views: 12
  • 11816334_1593180287610435_4029365911302737237_o.jpg
    11816334_1593180287610435_4029365911302737237_o.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20431667_1874008746194253_979965023509648204_n (1)~2.jpg
    20431667_1874008746194253_979965023509648204_n (1)~2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: xxPampersBoyxx, BobbiSueEllen and KnappFlannel
And as a side note, Gerber training pants, at least this NOS pair I scored from the 60's also has front facing legs. One of my upcoming projects is to pattern a pair as accurately as I can of the package illustration.
60s Gerber TP 01.jpg60s Gerber TP 02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WillFord384, ade and BobbiSueEllen
KnappFlannel said:
@SpAzpieSweeTot YES YES YES YES 100% YES.

Diapers and covers with front facing legs are front and center for my interests in design and drafting. One of the very first designs I drafted out was specifically for the front-facing legs. It's actually super easy to do a basic cover with this feature. You can draft a simple but well fitting pattern with just 6 straight lines.

I will dig out a draft and sample piece to show!
The T strap shoes that I love that are made in Spain that I would love to have made in my size. As you can see, this is called tan, but to me, it's more burnt orange. A very retro trippy leather color reminiscient of the late 1970s / early 1980s. 💜😁

Wouldn't you say a primary plaid gingham longall would look just sooo adorable with these T strap shoes?? 💜 Many moms think it would be stunning, to say the least....even on me.

- longallsboy

Attachments

• received_3009516585945353.jpeg
    received_3009516585945353.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 6
  • received_327066398898302.jpeg
    received_327066398898302.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 5
  • received_415815489922889.jpeg
    received_415815489922889.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and KnappFlannel
BobbiSueEllen said:
Yikes! Any rhyme or reason...or just outta the blue? I hope you're doing better than merely functioning...you're too good a person to have to suffer so deeply! 🤗
Thank you so much 😊. I think out of the blue would have been a lot easier to navigate. I'll just say the dissolution of some family relationships seems to be final and complete now after a parent's life threatening illness and a 25yr backlog of bad things being addressed. No road back for me, but I think I'll be able to live with it all (lol) not that I really have a choice if I want to move forward.

• Sad
  • Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and longallsboy
EclipseWolf said:
Would you be willing to share the pattern with us so I can make one too?
Absolutely, I'd be happy to. This pair I specifically drafted to fit me, so I don't have a standard graded pattern or anything.

Are you a sewist? It's not terribly complicated to sew, but I don't have instructions or construction steps documented or anything.

And could you tell me how soon were wanting to make a pair? If you had a size range and fabric type in mind it would help me know how much time I'll need to redraft the pattern.

Reactions: EclipseWolf and BobbiSueEllen
longallsboy said:
NOTE : I have Classic Autism and ADHD.
Thank you for the head's up. My own note: I have ADHD
longallsboy said:
Totally amazing!! 💜💜
Thank you :)
longallsboy said:
Yes, this is a cross-mix between a Jon Jon and a shortall. What area in the South do you live in?
The north-west corridor of the south. Nearly midwest, but still not midwest -- you can still order grits at local diners for breakfast lol.
longallsboy said:
I'm from the West Coast, but want to move to the Carolinas, preferably South Carolina.
I have relations in the Carolinas - from the 'holler' as it were. Beautiful state.
longallsboy said:
I absolutely adore longalls and jon jons. Those things are so friggin adorable. I did not even know what a longall was until a mom from Northern Virginia from eBay introduced me to one in 2002. Longalls and jon jons are unknown here on the West Coast.
That's the truth! 😂 I have lived on both coasts and can confirm.
longallsboy said:
Longalls and jon jons have full backs though. They almost look like a child is in a jumper, or it resembles a turtle shell virtually, like a romper. 💜💜

Usually these outfits are more dressier and are more for wearing to church on Sundays and are also worn with peter pan collar shirts. Some preschoolers wear them as every day clothing even to daycare and nursery school. I know several moms who are my friends who dress their actual (chronological) age toddler boys, and I've seen in photos plenty of preschool age children even up to age 5 or 6 years old wearing them. 💜💜 Jon jons and longalls often go well well with peter pan collar shirts, kneesocks, and T strap (similar to Mary Janes) buckle leather shoes. Like, awww....
If you might like a base pattern to alter from, McCalls 8867 is still widely available online and comes up to a size 6...(image attached below)

longallsboy said:
Totally adorable in every way. Some boys wear the saddle shoes instead of the T strap shoes. I think T strap shoes are much more cuter though. 💜 I never thought boys could even wear such shoes - I always thought only little girls could wear T strap shoes because I only saw little girls wearing them in my area in the 1980s when I was in elementary school. Not common at all on the West Coast, but the Deep South is a different story. I would say this is a very popular way to dress little boys in the South. It is not that unusual in South Carolina and Georgia, but I feel the greatest concentration of where this is most popular is in Alabama. In some areas of Mobile, Montgomery, Auburn, but also upper class suburbs in Birmingham such as Homewood, Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, even more north like Gardendale, and places north of there like Cullman, Decatur, Huntsville, etc. It is a very popular thing in Northern Alabama for sure. 😋

I actually had a mom on eBay from Michigan (that 99% of the time makes actual children's clothes) make me this blue polyester / cotton longall with a peter pan collar shirt with piping.
That's fantastic. Lucky you!:D
longallsboy said:
I found these kneesocks made by a children's sock company in my size, and I found this vintage dark green Start Rite T strap buckle shoe from an Ebayer from Canada in a European size 41 1/2 (8 1/2 men's USA). I actually wear a European 42 (9 men's USA). I am in my mid 40s and I actually have Classic Autism (more severe than Asperger Syndrome) and also ADHD. Because of that, I am actually emotionally and socially (and in some ways, even mentally) like a 4 1/2 to 5 year old. I have a friend in Eastern North Carolina and she has 4 kids, 3 of which are teens and are normal, but her youngest son who is 7 years old now has Classic Autism and ADHD just like me. We both first talked about age 3 1/2 years old and walked at 21-22 months old, although we are 38 years apart chronologically. Anyway, he wore longalls, Jon jons, and T strap shoes till he was at least 5 1/2 years old. So with his mom's blessings, I decided to be a lookalike / doppelganger of him during Halloween 2 years ago. All my mom friends loved it! (I belong to several high end boys clothing resale groups on FB). And thought I was very cute. Even my friend from North Carolina, the one with the Autistic son I was trying to be a lookalike of, commented that I was a good soul and ALMOST as cute as him 😁😁💜. I really look like I'm 21 even wearing normal clothes, and seriously look like a very tall 12 year old if I wear a longall. I want to actually have a primary plaid gingham longall made for me at this point. There is also a company that makes children's T strap shoes in Spain that makes this incredibly adorable tan (almost burnt orange in color) T strap, and I want them to make me one in my size. I need a custom made shoe last though as they go up only to size 38 European and I wear a 42.
I know I've seen a few good child shoe patterns that would be easy enough to alter on both ebay and makerist.de (German site)
longallsboy said:
That could cost me thousands of dollars, though it would be worth it if they could do it for me. Spain makes very cute and high quality leather T strap shoes for children and even ladies. 38 is an 8 ladies / 6 men's, and most females have a size 8 foot or smaller.
I have to believe you could find someone or a company that makes them in adult sizing for a fraction of that. I know there are a number of specialist sites in the UK that sell "schoolboy" style clothing in adult sizes. I imagine you could definitely get some legitimate T strap sandals from one of them...
longallsboy said:
I'd like to share some photos of some longalls and T strap shoes I'd love to have made for me. Send a private message to me and I will send you some photos of some longalls other companies have made that I think are adorable and some of me and some photos of T strap shoes from Spain. When I showed some of my mommy friends my idea for the primary plaid gingham longalls and the T strap shoes, they all thought I would look STUNNING wearing that. One even said smashing. I can definitely pull off the look for sure! LOL. 💜💜
If your sizing falls within a certain range...there are definitely some patterns available that wouldn't need to be altered or wouldn't need to be altered very much. Feel free the msg me with your size range info, and I'll see if there something I can suggest.
longallsboy said:
Take care - longallsboy 💜💜
Thanks! You too! All the best,
Knapp

Attachments

• McCalls 8867.jpg
    McCalls 8867.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: longallsboy and BobbiSueEllen
Back