My Sewing Thread: AB Clothing and Diaper Projects (pic heavy)

KnappFlannel

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Carer
  4. Other
This is where I will keep track of my ab / little pattern drafting and sewing projects going forward and will be updated I as make things. Feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Have an idea for a kind of clothing/diaper you can’t locate anywhere else? Comment or shoot me a msg, and if it interests me too it might become a future project.

I’m going to include pics for finished pieces and adisc rules appropriate fit pics as well – stuffed bears and plastic mannequins are just too differently shaped and proportioned than actual humans for showing accurate fit for a garment or diaper but there won’t be anything distasteful, ‘used,’ etc.

The next two posts contain my two latest projects: Bubble Leg Shortalls and a (1987-88) Pampers clone pocket diaper

Last edited:
Reactions: Blekyss, EclipseWolf, WillFord384 and 2 others
Bubble Leg Shortalls pt 1

This is my test piece for a 'boy' bubble leg style shortall. It's a variation between what's affectionally known here in the south as JonJons and a more traditional bubble romper. The body and straps are made with lightweight denim. The bib lining, functional pocket, and inseam gusset are print flannel, and the heavy duty metal snaps are reinforced with twill.
shortalls flat 01.jpg shortalls flat 02.jpg
shortalls flat pocket 01.jpgshortalls flat snaps 01.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pacikisses, Dabsanddiapers, Blekyss and 8 others
Bubble Leg Shortalls pt 2 - FIT

For a garment like this in a woven fabric, the biggest challenge was balancing the body measurements against the amount of ease needed, in which location, for comfortable wear and full range of motion, while also keeping a somewhat trim and balanced contour when being worn. I These shortalls are cloth diaper friendly, even over nighttime amounts of cloth.

Shortalls front diagonal Final 01.jpeg shortalls side final 01.jpg

shortalls back Final 01b.jpg

• Love
Reactions: EclipseWolf, Pacikisses, Dabsanddiapers and 9 others
(1987-88) Pampers clone pocket diaper pt 1

This is my reproduction of the fit, style, and look of a mid-late 80's Pampers diaper as a reusable pocket diaper. The material is 'sandwich' PUL. Two layers of poly knit fabric are coated on one side each with a thin layer of polyurethane, and then the two urethane coated sides are pressed together and chemically bonded. The resulting fabric is dense, bulky, and loud ;) ...and very very waterproof.
Pampers folded flat 01.jpg

The voluminous all-the-way around interior gusset was sewn to the body as 4 separate pieces and double-stitched into shape. The front gusset area secures right at the crotch line and the back gusset wraps over and around the rear forming a very nice seal all the way around.
Pampers inside flat 01.jpgPampers double stitched 01.jpgAnd I completely forgot to take pictures of the absorbency used to stuff it...I used 2 xl prefolds from Changing Times and two bamboo french terry soakers -- really though, you don't even need specialized diaper fabrics at this 'pocket' volume. It will 100% hold a full size bath towel no problem :).

As this is a test piece I sewed the gusset elastics in two different ways, and I think the left side definitely looks better.

The pocket diaper attaches at the waist with velcro tabs and at the crotch leg intersection with unobtrusive velcro squares on each side.
pampers outside flat 01.jpg
There is so much I could write about the amount of research and design re-design that went into the pattern drafting and construction of this thing -- I'm happy to talk shop if you want more info about something.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Dabsanddiapers, Blekyss, Angelapinks and 10 others
(1987-88) Pampers clone pocket diaper pt 2 - Fit

I'm not usually one to point out just how much I like something that I've made...but this to me this fits and feels and moves exactly like the Pampers I had to wear at night.

fit at front
Pampers fit front 01.jpeg

fit at rear
Pampers fit rear 01.jpg

fit on side
Pampers fit side 01.jpg

Attachments

• Pampers fit rear 01.jpg
    Pampers fit rear 01.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: skylanderpamp, 2012Stroke, Tommy10 and 26 others
Nice Work! I hope you will share another fashion with us.

Reactions: Blekyss, Angelapinks, KnappFlannel and 1 other person
A scaled-up Pampers-like diaper! I'm in love... 🥰 🥰 🥰 (in Luvs? 🤭)

I love the width of the diaper, looks heavenly to wear! Authentic, and super-secure, too! 🥳

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2012Stroke, Blekyss, Angelapinks and 1 other person
LilGweggyPup said:
Nice Work! I hope you will share another fashion with us.
Thanks :). I can assure you I'm just getting started. I've already been working on my next project and finished a 'parametric' draft map for it. It was quite a popular brand with "in the know" CD moms back in the early 2000's.
CD Diaper Parametric 01.jpg

Reactions: Blekyss and BobbiSueEllen
Ahhh, interesting. Please find attached an image of a pattern for plastic pants I found online at the Gary website. No attribution in the metadata so I guess it is public domain.
pantpattern.jpg

Reactions: Blekyss, Angelapinks, pdiapered and 2 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
A scaled-up Pampers-like diaper! I'm in love... 🥰 🥰 🥰 (in Luvs? 🤭)

I love the width of the diaper, looks heavenly to wear! Authentic, and super-secure, too! 🥳
Aww Bobbi :giggle:, that's so nice of you to say. I consider that very high praise coming from you. Thank you.

You know, whether I end up making a small production run or not, if you decide you might like one, I will make one especially for you and customize it out to your wildest dreams :D. Anything you want and I'll make it so.

You never fail to be supportive to the people in this community and you go out of your way to make newcomers feel welcome. That's the tribe I want to be a part of. So thank you then, I guess for just being who you are.

• Love
Reactions: EclipseWolf, Blekyss, WillFord384 and 4 others
LilGweggyPup said:
Ahhh, interesting. Please find attached an image of a pattern for plastic pants I found online at the Gary website. No attribution in the metadata so I guess it is public domain.
View attachment 57974
ah yes, good find. That looks like a proper pair of diagonal/forward leg plastic pants.

Reactions: Angelapinks and BobbiSueEllen
KnappFlannel said:
Aww Bobbi :giggle:, that's so nice of you to say. I consider that very high praise coming from you. Thank you.

You know, whether I end up making a small production run or not, if you decide you might like one, I will make one especially for you and customize it out to your wildest dreams :D. Anything you want and I'll make it so.

You never fail to be supportive to the people in this community and you go out of your way to make newcomers feel welcome. That's the tribe I want to be a part of. So thank you then, I guess for just being who you are.
You're so very welcome! It's always good to see new things, meet new people into AB/DL, it's an amazing journey! Over the last 20+ years, the community has grown, product support has really evolved and everything is overall fabulous...and thank you for being one of The Good Folks! 🥳 🥰

• Love
Reactions: EclipseWolf, Blekyss, KnappFlannel and 1 other person
I have to say, I'm suitably impressed! Good work. I simply love the seat on the bubble shortalls :love: and that pocket diaper looks pretty damn accurate from what I remember.

Well done.

Reactions: Blekyss, KnappFlannel, Angelapinks and 1 other person
TeddyUrsadorable said:
I have to say, I'm suitably impressed! Good work. I simply love the seat on the bubble shortalls :love: and that pocket diaper looks pretty damn accurate from what I remember.

Well done.
Thanks Teddy! I consider that high praise from you as well :D. I was really happy with how the rear came out on the shortalls. Not that it was a priority, even with all that fabric they seem to drape really well when laying down as well. This pic has some issues so didn't make the cut but shows the contour and fit on the back leg

shortalls bed side 01-01.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Angelapinks, EclipseWolf, Blekyss and 6 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
You're so very welcome! It's always good to see new things, meet new people into AB/DL, it's an amazing journey! Over the last 20+ years, the community has grown, product support has really evolved and everything is overall fabulous...and thank you for being one of The Good Folks! 🥳 🥰
Thanks! I'm glad I finally decided to join and start meeting people and sharing things here.

...for real, you just let me know if you decide you want one of these...in my mind's eye I just envisioned a pink PUL, lace-across-the-hiney Pampers cover :oops: 😂

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EclipseWolf, Blekyss, Safari and 1 other person
KnappFlannel said:
Thanks! I'm glad I finally decided to join and start meeting people and sharing things here.

...for real, you just let me know if you decide you want one of these...in my mind's eye I just envisioned a pink PUL, lace-across-the-hiney Pampers cover :oops: 😂
I'd gladly pay...lace really isn't my thing, the frilly gathers at the legs are cute enough! 🤭 🥰 I'd probably order two from ya: one white, one baby pink. Feel free to let me know when ya have a number in mind, but I gotta get the move done first...Idaho to Kentucky. Ain't we got fun! 😲

Reactions: Blekyss and KnappFlannel
TeddyUrsadorable said:
that pocket diaper looks pretty damn accurate from what I remember.
I sure hope so...there are so many decisions that have to be made when replicating a disposable as a reusable...I did have a little bit of guidance though ;)
Pampers Diaper 1988 tech design.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Blekyss, WillFord384, BigKid25 and 2 others
Pretty nice work! I really like how you got the butt of the diaper to look like disposables. Making the design work with inserts was smart so you can easily adjust how much fabric you put in there.

I think your construction is great and you appear to have solid crafting skills. Also, great work and being resourceful and researching templates to help guide you; getting the right cut is super important. Compared to super undies, I'd imagine these are more comfortable. You don't have those snaps that you can feel through the fabric, you've got plenty of room for inserts, and it looks like you've encased your elastic instead of leaving it exposed to rub against the skin.

I've been considering doing something similar myself and getting the pul material printed with custom designs. That will happen later as it will have to wait until I recover from some medical issues.

Reactions: Blekyss, sdweasel, Teddy and 2 others
KnappFlannel said:
I did have a little bit of guidance though

Well, you did a remarkable job translating it.

• Love
Reactions: Blekyss, BigKid25, KnappFlannel and 1 other person
I just put a deposit on a serger today, so hopefully I can increase my skills.

Reactions: Angelapinks, Blekyss, KnappFlannel and 1 other person
Back