• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

My psp memory stick may be dead :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

maccracker18

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Little, Incontinent
Well for a while I've been running gta vice city stories from my mem stick because i lost my umd. For some reason today when i went in to put some music on the stick windows said there's a file system error. I let it do its scan and it said it fixed some stuff. Tried to copy stuff again, same issue.
I then decided that i would format the stick in windows and format it again in the psp. Still wound up with the same result. I also know its not the psp thats causing the problem becuase i took the stick out and put it in my card reader and got the same errors. Usualy when i try to write stuff it says it cant find it in the location its supposed to be in. Also i can take stuff off of the stick so that mean it must still work somehow... but i don't quite know. Any help would be appreciated. I just hope i dont have to get a new stick... i cant afford one at this point in time lol.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Sounds as though your Memory Stick has ran out of it's lifespan, probably from playing games from the stick a lot -- especially GTA whereas things are getting loaded a lot. I keep telling myself to stop playing Crisis Core from my MS, because I know it's going to die.

Anyway, you decrease your Memory Stick's lifespan when you cycle through data frequently -- called cycles. When you go through enough cycles (hm, the average is like 10^6 cycles maybe?) the memory stick starts to die. Happens inevitably with Flash Memory -- although new technology is increasing the lifespan tremendously with different methods of R/W data; which is how Solid State Drives (SSD) are getting to be popular. They're drives have sophisticated technology that has a decent enough lifespan to be able to host an entire operating system + applications, media, etc.

Long story short, it's time to get a new stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.