My Own ABDL/Incontinence Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolfEmperor

Contributor
I've worked in retail my whole life. I've had other jobs but retail is where I've had the most relative success.

Something I've become a bit of an expert on through trial and error is adult diapers and various forms of absorbent product. So the premise of my one paragraph proposal is, why shouldn't I turn my obsession into a business?

In Vermont there is a program called Vocational Rehabilitation. There's probably a similar program in your area. Voc Rehab's main goal is to help people get back on their feet in an economic crisis. But if you have a job that's low income and you want to try for something better, they can help with that as well.

They put me in touch with someone who runs a small business program. Since he's Finnish, I'll call him Thor.

I told Thor what I wanted to do and he was intrigued by the idea and said it had a lot of potential. Then I explained that my idea for an incontinence supply shop has an extra tier, mainly the ABDL market. He gave me some homework to do and in the week that followed he did his own research (presumably just enough to avoid having to explain too much to his bosses) and agreed that the ABDL market could be just as lucrative in the right circumstances.

I had to write one paragraph about why I wanted to open a shop like this. He was impressed by it, so he told me to do a SWOT analysis, which is when you list your business' Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, and Threats. He liked what I did with that and praised my efficiency. He likes the fact that I have knowledge about the incontinence industry and that I have at least some realistic expectations of how business works.

Coming on to week three of my working relationship with Thor and I have some additional homework to do. Coming up with a domain name, writing a mission statement, and doing my goals for the first one to six months, then one to three years.

I'm also trying to teach myself the paperwork side of business and the one person I know who owns and runs her own successful business didn't seem one hundred percent on board with becoming my teacher. The problem is, I have a hard time learning things in an academic setting and I do best by having actual experience.

Fun stuff.

• Love
Reactions: Subtlerustle, checkingoutall, AmonQ and 4 others
If I started a YouTube channel documenting my journey to owning my own shop, would you follow it?

Like or comment if yes.

• Love
Reactions: littledub1955, abdilly, tiny and 3 others
I wish you the best of luck ... it takes a lot of start-up funds to get inventory at wholesale prices. If you have enough capital funds, it is ( relatively ) straightforward to get your own private label items manufactured .

KitsuneFox said:
I wish you the best of luck ... it takes a lot of start-up funds to get inventory at wholesale prices. If you have enough capital funds, it is ( relatively ) straightforward to get your own private label items manufactured .
One step at a time.

know your market breadth, know your competitors, and know that when you enter an established market, you can only hope to take a share of that market unless you make something that is unique and all your own. it can take 5 years to become established with enough business to sustain your operation, be sure to have a second source of reliable income while you are building up to that point. It is not easy, but is is very rewarding when it works. In our niche, the company that finally makes an adult size replica of an 80's luvs diaper will set a new standard that others won't be able to follow. But I think you will need to actually own the machine that makes that.

Okay, so, I appreciate the supportive comments but please do not give any advice I didn't explicitly ask for.

When you're learning to play tennis, you don't need twenty people throwing balls at you from all directions.

Last edited:
E-commerce, computer automation, taa daa boom rich. The days of small store business’s are a pipe dream. Sorry for the criticism.

TheWolfEmperor said:
Okay, so, I appreciate the supportive comments but please do not give any advice I didn't explicitly ask for.

When you're learning to play tennis, you don't need twenty people throwing balls at you from all directions at you.
Trying to stay in the spirit of what you are saying. If possible reach out to a store that does that and ask to shadow them for a time. This would be logistically difficult and probably expensive, but there is a store in ft Wayne Indiana (non abdl but with a great abdl section excellent people) that does this. Changing times in Nevada( abdl I have not been there so cant comment beyond existance) which kinda does this.

If that is not economically or logistically possible reach out and see if they would be willing to have a call with you and share some insights, perhaps be willing to mentor you for a year. That is let you call them with questions and concerns.

TheWolfEmperor said:
I've worked in retail my whole life. I've had other jobs but retail is where I've had the most relative success.

Something I've become a bit of an expert on through trial and error is adult diapers and various forms of absorbent product. So the premise of my one paragraph proposal is, why shouldn't I turn my obsession into a business?

In Vermont there is a program called Vocational Rehabilitation. There's probably a similar program in your area. Voc Rehab's main goal is to help people get back on their feet in an economic crisis. But if you have a job that's low income and you want to try for something better, they can help with that as well.

They put me in touch with someone who runs a small business program. Since he's Finnish, I'll call him Thor.

I told Thor what I wanted to do and he was intrigued by the idea and said it had a lot of potential. Then I explained that my idea for an incontinence supply shop has an extra tier, mainly the ABDL market. He gave me some homework to do and in the week that followed he did his own research (presumably just enough to avoid having to explain too much to his bosses) and agreed that the ABDL market could be just as lucrative in the right circumstances.

I had to write one paragraph about why I wanted to open a shop like this. He was impressed by it, so he told me to do a SWOT analysis, which is when you list your business' Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, and Threats. He liked what I did with that and praised my efficiency. He likes the fact that I have knowledge about the incontinence industry and that I have at least some realistic expectations of how business works.

Coming on to week three of my working relationship with Thor and I have some additional homework to do. Coming up with a domain name, writing a mission statement, and doing my goals for the first one to six months, then one to three years.

I'm also trying to teach myself the paperwork side of business and the one person I know who owns and runs her own successful business didn't seem one hundred percent on board with becoming my teacher. The problem is, I have a hard time learning things in an academic setting and I do best by having actual experience.

Fun stuff.
well you need lones and start small first unless you have the money to rent out an old warehouse and get supplies in

I've been toying with the idea of starting my own business for years. The part where I get stuck is developing a solid, long-term business plan, including working out pricing...for which there must be dozens of books. Let us know how it goes.

Literally all I am doing right now, the only thing have to do, is write the business plan as the worker from the program is asking me to do.

This is a long process and its all I'm thinking about now.

TillamookMMX said:
I wish there were more ABDL shops near me. The nearest one to me is close to Atlanta.
Where is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back