my GPU died :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissAmy

little diaper princess
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
after 5 years of service, my R9 290 fried a circuit and left my pc crippled.. i guess it's time to play doom, dark forces, and jedi outcast again on that piece of shit intel HD chip. it's a good thing that some of the best games can run on potato grade hardware

• Wow
Reactions: MrGnome, littledreamers333 and BobbiSueEllen
I feel your pain: I'm currently typing on a very old, WinXP computer which started blue-screening me no matter what, so I'm running in Safe Mode with networking. Time for a new tower...

One of the good things about building your own system is that if something goes bang, you can normally replace it yourself

Reactions: Piefox
One of the good things of keeping old hardware around is that you can always resort to Minesweeper.:LOL:
More seriously, I've recently replayed good old Starcraft (you want a piece of me, boy?). It was a bit like Grandpa narrating about the war, but still fun and a lot better than some of the ad-contaminated "free" smartphone games.

Reactions: Lyokodl
PCBaby said:
One of the good things about building your own system is that if something goes bang, you can normally replace it yourself
Right on! I have had a GPU fail on my PC and I tossed one of my older GPU's back in till I could get a replacement. On a side note I prefer desktops to laptops on a count of ease of fixing and upgrading. :D

I do love me some retro gaming though!

Whilst I have access to laptop, I prefer my desktop and whilst my latest self build was an expensive one as I bough the new Ryzen chip, upgraded mb,etc, it cost me about £4500 (about $6000) and thats only because i have a friend who can get me trade prices. If I bought a laptop with the same specs (assuming they make one that powerful, I'd probably have to pay well over £10k ($13k) for it.

Wow thats weird I had the same exact video card but it was the R90x with 8gbs! It also fried out of nowhere last year! And of course it was 3 months over the warranty so I was screwed. I got a new video card geforce GTX 1060 SC on black friday. Is your card under warranty still?

it had five years of warranty and i got it in 2014. i was thinking about a gtx 1060 as well. it's not that expensive anymore

Reactions: MrGnome
MissAmy said:
it had five years of warranty and i got it in 2014. i was thinking about a gtx 1060 as well. it's not that expensive anymore
I think you will be happy with it, but make sure to get the 6gb edition or higher!

If you are upgrading your Graphics cards, make sure your motherboard has the appropriate slot and that you can physically fit it in your case. some newer cards are longer/higher and may not fit in a small or standard case.

I’m just a casual console peasant. 🤣

Consoles, yuck spit. spit :)

• Haha
Reactions: LeakingOut and RearzLover97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back