Not open for further replies.

Shyanne

Baby Foxtaur
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
So..I was talking to a friend about changing tables and such and he asked to see my dresser which I have had, ever since I was a kid, it was handed down to me from my dad who had it since he was a kid..then he freaks out. "Dude! You have no idea what that is! It was originally made to double as a changing table back around the era of WW2. (its one of those long, antique dressers made of oak, really heavy and sturdy) Think about it, 9 drawers, 3 of which was for the baby's diapers, disposable changing mats, and other necessities, and it was made to have ample space for the baby to rest comfortably for changing." My jaw dropped, I had no idea! This whole friggin time, I had a changing table right under my nose and I never knew it! I was excited, but worried I might be too heavy for it you know? It was pretty old.. So I ran upstairs and cleared my stuff off the top of it (all this time I just thought it was a old, long dresser lol) and sat on it, it held my weight fine, not even any groaning wood protesting..or anything..And I did try it out, this photo was right before I cleared off the top and i did quickly change myself on it. So it works! lol I am going to get a adult sized changing mat, and one of my comforters..This is gonna be awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_6571.jpg
    IMG_6571.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 304
Awesome! They don't make them like they used to, do they?

zipperless said:
Awesome! They don't make them like they used to, do they?

No they sure dont now it would be plastic!..I may be wrong..my friend may be pulling my leg..but..it did support my weight easily enough and it was big enough for me to change myself.

It looks pretty sturdy and the fact that you said it didn't creak makes me think it's still OK after all these years. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to check it for cracks from time to time.

zipperless said:
It looks pretty sturdy and the fact that you said it didn't creak makes me think it's still OK after all these years. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to check it for cracks from time to time.
well..true it was meant for babies not adult sized ones..but it seems very sturdy! I will tho

I just use a spare bed covered with some random foam scraps and an old sheet. It's lucky that you have this, I see these quite often up here as my town had many homes added when ww2 vets came back and started familys, then years later they got rid of their giant wooden dresser-changing table combos. I wouldn't buy one since I'm not so keen about resting my back on a slab of wood, I have a very bad back and the last thing I want to do is get stuck in that position when back my gives out.

That's awesome. They sure built things to last back then..

That's a nice piece of furniture that looks in real good shape for being around 70 years old.

I think I've had to help move a dresser that looked like that a few years ago. If they're the same, then yep. They were built to last...very heavy...

Sounds like a pretty cool friend to be able to talk about that kind of stuff with him or her.

Good for you! That looks like a cool piece of nursery furniture.

Shyanne said:
So..I was talking to a friend about changing tables and such and he asked to see my dresser which I have had, ever since I was a kid, it was handed down to me from my dad who had it since he was a kid..then he freaks out. "Dude! You have no idea what that is! It was originally made to double as a changing table back around the era of WW2. (its one of those long, antique dressers made of oak, really heavy and sturdy) Think about it, 9 drawers, 3 of which was for the baby's diapers, disposable changing mats, and other necessities, and it was made to have ample space for the baby to rest comfortably for changing." My jaw dropped, I had no idea! This whole friggin time, I had a changing table right under my nose and I never knew it! I was excited, but worried I might be too heavy for it you know? It was pretty old.. So I ran upstairs and cleared my stuff off the top of it (all this time I just thought it was a old, long dresser lol) and sat on it, it held my weight fine, not even any groaning wood protesting..or anything..And I did try it out, this photo was right before I cleared off the top and i did quickly change myself on it. So it works! lol I am going to get a adult sized changing mat, and one of my comforters..This is gonna be awesome!

Oh cool! I'm l'm still living with my mom and we still have the changing table that I was changed on as a baby. It's a really old antique from when my Grandparents where babies. Definitely not large enough or sturdy enough for me. I really like yours though. :3

Mattew said:
I think I've had to help move a dresser that looked like that a few years ago. If they're the same, then yep. They were built to last...very heavy...

ya, i remember when we moved in here..trying to get it upstairs..my god this thing was heavy!

- - - Updated - - -

Tyger said:
Sounds like a pretty cool friend to be able to talk about that kind of stuff with him or her.

well technically she's my online momma..*blushes*

Shyanne said:
well technically she's my online momma..*blushes*

Well that is still cool. Lucky, I wish I had a mommy, even online would be nice.

yah anything you buy in the stores now a day probably would just flatten out like a pancake, if you to use it like that.
there not much out there that can handle over 200 lbs., and fill up with stuff in it.

DBBaby said:
yah anything you buy in the stores now a day probably would just flatten out like a pancake, if you to use it like that.
there not much out there that can handle over 200 lbs., and fill up with stuff in it.

ya..im about 230lbs..and it held my weight easily without any problem, and has alot of room for clothes or diapers ^^' I think its solid oak

Shyanne said:

wow thats so cool i wish mine was like that

Last edited:
Well some news! After asking my grandma about it, it is in fact, just a large vanity. Oh well, I still plan on using it! It held my weight fine, its still solid oak. And it still had plenty of space on it, so this news doesnt change much. But figured id let yall know.

Note said:
That was made back around WWII? It must have cost a fortune. Looks good.

I never really understood the use of a changing table if you're changing yourself, just seems like it'd complicate things, neat though. But I'll stick to my changing mat, thanks...

It was probably only around $50.00 back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back