Multiple Language Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secretdl26

Does any else here speak another language?
I am currently working towards increasing my fluency in Spanish by taking college level Spanish classes. I also know a few words and phrases in German, Swiss German, and Finnish.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I'd survive if I had to live in a Spanish-speaking country, since I live around so many people who speak it (due to my close vicinity to Mexico). I'm taking German and am considering taking the AP for it next year, but I'm worried about how I'll fare when I go to Deutschland this summer!

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, yeah. English. It's not everybody's first language you know ;)

I'm fluent in Swedish (no shit?), and know a small amount of French and Japanese.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
but I'm worried about how I'll fare when I go to Deutschland this summer!
You'll know when the flight attendent on your flight will explain to you that you will not receive any more alcohol on the flight in German, and you don't understand a single word :tongueout:

As for me, I speak:
German (native)
English (fluent)
Latin (I don't speak it, but I can translate it)
French, Russian (have forgotten most of it by now)
plus some basic phrases in Dutch and Italian

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
English - native
Spanish - Basic phrases and know a few songs
German - learning, know alot of songs
French - know a few songs
Japanese - know a few songs and some words
Hebrew - know a few songs
Swedish - know a few songs

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
English - native
German - reasonable but with small vocabulary
French - was ok at, but I've forgotten most of it

I am a linguisitcs geek. I have books for about 20 different languages. Although I can't really speak any of them I know bits about them all which means I have a wide knoweldge base even if I don't know much of any particular language. I can't speak the languages, but I can speak about them for ages.

Role
Private
My primary languages are English and Geek.

At one point in my life, I was fluent in Russian (with a pocket dictionary for those odd occasional words).

I know enough Spanish to converse a little bit; I had that experience when coming back from a conference (Acapulco) and the guy next to me spilled his sparkling water all over me.

I'm trying to learn a bit of Dutch (obviously) and I know just enough Chinese to be ... interesting.

My position is that it's important to know the language before you go somewhere, and I want to go to a lot of places. One down, many more to go. :)

Roland

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Fluent in English and Greek.

I also know French to a medium level.

Can hold an okay conversation in Welsh.

Ability to swear in Spanish, perhaps with a broken accent.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Does any else here speak another language?
Other than English? Yes, my motherlanguage for example, that is Italian... :D

Apart from those two, I've studied German for a couple of years in middle school and the couple of things I remember are just enough to have a basic understanding of the language when I visit Germany.

I also can quite easily communicate with people who speak French or Spanish: I've never studied those languages but being them both Latin-based languages I can improvise in a rather decent way.

I also have a "motherdialect", Milan dialect, in which I'm pretty fluent, and I have a pretty good understanding of Trieste dialect (a city in Northeastern Italy) due to some friends I have from there who often speak in their dialect.

PetPuppyAlex

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Im fluent in Spanish, French, and Italian, I can speak broken Polish, and I can UNDERSTAND german, but can't speak it :p

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
English (Native)
French (Learned, 3 years and could probably get by in a francophone nation)

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I'm Canadian, an we're born bilingual.

I also speak some spanish, italian, korean, and I've dabbled in japanese a teeny bit, but not much. Learning languages comes a lot more naturaly to me than other people I know.

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I speak a little German from being stationed there twice. The Army had a great program called Head Start for all Soldiers arriving over in Germany. You were required to take a 2 week crash course in the German language and most importantly their customs and culture. I was also involved in the German/American friendship Club called Kontact. This was sponsored by the US Army Europe and I had a great time enjoying the German people and culture. I learned very early on my first tour over in Germany there are far more things to do and places to see and people to meet off the base and out and around Germany and Europe. :smile1:

Maverick

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
English (Native)
Esperanto (Almost fluent; learned on my own)
Latin (Somewhat, not fluent; learned from school).

Last edited:

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I forgot to mention that I have never had any trouble talking to Danes or Norwegians (especially Norwegians), seeing as their languages are very closely related to my own. There are some words that are different, and some that mean another thing altogether, but they can easily be understood by asking the other person to explain them in another way.

lilemmy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I'm all right with speaking Spanish however it's been a while since I've really had to do anything with it so I'm kind of rusty. I'm trying to get my fluency up though because I want to do the Peace Corps in some Central American or South American country (that speaks Spanish of course!)

diapersrulez

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, , Carer
Dutch - native
English - almost fluently
German - until a certain level
French - A little bit
Latin, Greek and Spanish - Very little

Status
Not open for further replies.