• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Okay to start with, we have a poll!

By "films with less emphasis on dialogue" I am talking about things like martial art films or something similar. Films where you could happily watch them without subtitles; it's not very important to the film (in your opinion).

The poll is just an ice-breaker, the point of the thread is to discuss movies with subtitles (foreign/non-English (language) films), films you like. And also, what you think people generally think about them.

For example, my local cinema would almost never dare show a film that was subtitled. The only time I remember them doing so was the movie Hero, and even then the cinema was filled with warning signs:
"CAUTION: The film "Hero" has subtitles, a refund will NOT be given..."

So what do you think? Do you watch 'normal' foreign films. Do you see the point?

Delta

Contributor
Role
Private
I don't think I've ever heard of films with subtitles in the local cinema. I've seen a few films on DVD with subtitles, martial arts ones and one or two anime. Oh yeah a few French ones as well. I generally prefer the no subtitles. But if the dubbing is really bad - subtitles are definately prefered.

I have no interest in a lot of areas of film though - e.g. Most French or Bollywood films wouldn't be even considered. All in all, if the film is well made, I don't see it as a problem. I'll stick to the mainstream ones and pick out the best of the foreign ones.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I watch movies with sub titles as long as there not interupted with commercial breaks, I watch them on IFC, and TCM, but I can't stand silet movies from the early days.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
I dont really care if their subtitles or not, but the only thing I do care about if their uncut or not. The reason for this is that I noticed that a uncut movies is better then a moive that been cut for whatever reason.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Sometimes if it's an anime but that's really it.

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
The only film I can think of that has subtitles that I own is The Da Vinci Code. But, a good portion of the film was in another language, hence, the subtitles. When I watch movies that were made in the US, I find the subtitles really distracting. It causes me to read the text rather than watch the movie.

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Unfortunately, there's only one movie theater in my town, and I can't remember them ever having shown a foreign movie. On DVD, I do watch quite a few foreign films, some action movies, but mostly not. It does take a little while to get used to reading and watching at the same time, but after a few times, it just kind of becomes second nature. Even when I'm watching movies in English, I'll usually put the subtitles on, just so I can look down at them in case I can't quite understand something that is said.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Some of my favourite films aren't in English (Pan's Labyrinth, City of God, Amores Perros...) and I've never really had a problem with subtitles. It would be nice to understand the actors to get the full benefits of their performances but if the quality of the film is good enough then reading the lines is the next best thing and is certainly a lot better than dubbed films, which are generally horrible.

I suppose I've been fortunate in that there has always been at least one decent independent 'artsy' type cinema in the cities I've lived and you can sometimes get foreign films at the bigger multiplex places as well so I've had plenty of opportunities to see this films.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I've watched subtitled films since I was old enough to read them. I was a little resistant to subtitles in anime, as the visuals were a significant part of the appeal, but the more I got into watching them that way, the more I enjoyed them. There are a few anime dubs I like, but my overwhelming preference these days is for subtitles. For live-action films, it was never a contest- subtitles all the way.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Most movies I like are in English and I generally hate translation so I tend to stick to English movies. (Dutch movies are really bad) I watch movies with Dutch translation just because they don't show movies here without Dutch subs (ignoring the dubbed versions as I NEVER watch those, they mutilate the movies with the translations that's also the reason I don't like translations from any language.)

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Usually I watches Movie in my mother languages, but I I want to watch a movie with english Audio I put Eng Subtitles.
with anime i prefere to watch Them In Jap with eng subs because the version is less censored

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
i watch bleach episodes/movies with subs. I honestly like subs better than dubs because(as stated) they are less censored and the mouth actually match up with the words. Alot of time a characters voices in a Japanese go so much better with the characters personality than their english counter parts.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
Luckily Italy has got one of the best movie dubbing traditions, I've never seen a movie in a cinema with subtitles, and hardly ever on TV (mainly it can happen with indipendent or particular movies, usually broadcasted at impossible hours...). We even have a yearly national dubbing festival!

The movies' dubbing is always very accurate also in following the actors' labial with words that go well together with it. Also, the important foreign actors have the same dubber in all of the movies they appear in.

I've heard that in some countries (exp. eastern Europe) foreign movies are "dubbed" by one single voice that simply read the dialogues with no emphasis at all, or instead come with subtitles.

CiviChriSi

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
oidjf soidfjowe fjoiej oaidjf jouyehrqn duh eoahga oheonf ouiernf oauehrn bjhfd aoiejf feohfe feoiauen eoinisf

---- "I don't really watch many movies with subtitles, but I thought this post might be funny with subtitles" ---

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Most of the subtitled stuff I watch is anime, but I do also watch sub'ed movies too. The original voices / audio is a must for any movie or series. It doesn't matter how good the 'new' voice actors are, it's just not the same. Plus when I'm watching subtitled I usually forget after a couple minutes and get used to them. I remember in university when I took Art of Film classes and we would watch a 3 hour french film. I would walk around the campus afterwards expecting everyone around to speak french (even though I don't speak it :p)

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Only ones I've watched with subtitles were Death Note: Director's Cut and Taiyou No Uta.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Can there be an option for sometimes? Because occasionally I will watch a movie with subtitles if I just can't figure out what they are saying...I do of course watch anime with English subtitles too though

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I saw the first Death Note movie about a month ago or so at the movies. Anyways I thought it was going to be subtitled but it was dubbed by the voice actors of Death Note from Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. The lips and voice were pretty smooth but you could also tell they did not match up exactly which would be hard if not impossible to do.

----------------
Now playing: Valve - Sector Sweep
via FoxyTunes

Role
Private
If it isn't in English, I always watch it subtitled. I hate dubbing so very much, it can really ruin the atmosphere of the film. But I don't mind subtitles. They help you along with the dialogue, so there's no "What did he just say!? I missed it." sort of thing...

Local cinemas here are always playing foreign movies. I think the most they come to a warning is "Film in <language> : Subtitled" sticker on advertisements.

Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
If the movie is originally in a non-English language then I always watch it subtitled. Dubs piss me off since they usually have bad acting and terrible lip syncing despite the fact that the original script is usually reworded in an attempt to make lip syncing easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.