Mosquito devices - your views

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom

Role
Diaper Lover
Mosquito devices, devices placed in communal areas/ outsite shops etc. which give off a very high pitvhed sound that only young people can here in order to deter them from meeting in that place. - Just wanted to here people's views on this.

In my opinion, I think its completely outrageous and discriminates against young people, if something was targeted at another minority group there would be public outcry. But of course, young people under 18 cant speak out for themselves becuase they dont have the power of the vote. Nevertheless, I understand I probably havent heard all sides of the argument so would like to here your views.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've never actually seen one being used...But they must have been put there for a good reason...But they aren't the most efficient way of deterring someone, since some teens can't hear them, or some adults can hear them...I like how they are used for ringtones though

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think it's more of an England thing. We don't have them here, either. If they did, though, I'd be extremely ticked off.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I really think they are completely disgraceful and you're quite right, nothing that targeted a single subsection of society like these things do would be tolerated if it focused on anything other than youths and if there was a notable lobbying group or vote behind a subsection affected by such a thing it would not be tolerated. You can argue that they don't do anything terribly serious to the kids but it's the principle of the thing – introducing something that affects a whole age range and, by extension, makes assumptions of every member of that age range when it is a minority of the group that actually exhibit antisocial behaviour is indefensible. I understand the concerns of shopkeepers and such about groups of kids gathering and intimating people outside their shops but these mosquitoes don't just affect them; they affect decent, ordinary young people who want to use facilities available for everyone without being targeted and punished. I also think they're antagonistic and provocative to the kids anyway and mostly serve to exaggerated the problem. A council somewhere (I want to say that it was in Kent but I'm not 100%) banned them recently and I would love to see that spread out across the country as a matter of basic liberty to go unharassed as a young person.

Also, they don't just effect kids, I was at a shop a couple of weeks ago with a mate of mine who is twenty-three and he was complaining of an irritating noise and I had no idea what he was talking about until we realised there was one of these mosquito things present.

tom

Role
Diaper Lover
introducing something that affects a whole age range and, by extension, makes assumptions of every member of that age range when it is a minority of the group that actually exhibit antisocial behaviour is indefensible.
Definitely

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It must be something different, I had a misquito trap, but the only noise it made was from the fan running to inhale the pests, it had a 20lb propane tank that ran into a converter and gave off carbon dioxide to mimic exhaled air from humans.

I think the only bugs it caught were the ones that happend by, it was a waste of money.

I can see how an annoying high piched noise, would bother teens standing around, how would it be if everybody just used an Ipod, or something like that.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It must be something different, I had a misquito trap, but the only noise it made was from the fan running to inhale the pests, it had a 20lb propane tank that ran into a converter and gave off carbon dioxide to mimic exhaled air from humans.

I think the only bugs it caught were the ones that happend by, it was a waste of money.

I can see how an annoying high piched noise, would bother teens standing around, how would it be if everybody just used an Ipod, or something like that.

Not the same thing...What they are talking about refers to a high pitched noise that only young ears can hear...It's like a chirping sound, and it's used as ringtones, and things to attempt to deter teens from hanging around somewhere...Look up Mosquito noise, and you'll probably find it

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Yeah, these are disgraceful. I agree with the voting thing:
Children get looked after because parents vote, and 18+ get looked after because they vote. But teens kind of get left out of the deal, there's nobody looking after us really, because we can't vote, and when we can vote we stop caring.
This is why I have to pay full bus fare despite being a student, it's ridiculous.

I could rant on about how Mosquito devices are not only morally wrong, but completely disrespectful... But the biggest point is the fact that they aren't the best solution, there's little proof for them working anyway.

Solving the problem of chavs is going to take a little more than a high-pitched sound!

This is exactly what annoys me so much about politics... There are such major flaws in everything, but rather than actually try to solve problems the correct way (the hard way), politicians just suggest small changes... All this anti-social behaviour is coming from a bad education system (specifically the 14 to 16 education), people raising their children badly, and general poverty. I hate to say it but some people shouldn't be allowed to have children! And people who don't work (but could work) and just claim benefits... it's just not right.

It's not all bad though I guess, they are trying to reduce poverty, and they have come up with this new 14 to 16 (or 18?) education thing.

But yeah, mosquito devices are just pointless.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
It's sad how we treat each other. Who's to say that continuous high pitched sounds don't slowly erode hearing at those high frequencies. I'm a musician, and I protect my hearing. I've heard of places here in the US where stores have played opera in an attempt to chase teens away from their store fronts. That wouldn't have worked on me. I always enjoyed the major operas. Anyway, it's terrible that people discriminate against youth. Good luck fighting it.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Well I see Pros and Cons to this subject.

Pro-Could stop gangs or troublemakers from lyodering around a business.

Con-What if you and your friends just have a spot that you like to hang at and you do your best not to bother anyone and you even contribute to the bisiness, like if it was a gas station you buy sodas there every now and then and then they do this to you. You need a new place to hang and they lost bisiness.

So I guess it's a bad thing.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Yeah, I checked that out on youtube, thats really great, but I imagine you could get used to the noise, that would really piss them off.

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
Oh... MY... Gosh....
I sae this, and just had to post. I hate those things more then I can say. They are worse then TVs on mute, and dog whistles. They all drive me crazy, and give me a headache.
Please people stop. I am from the US South. I can tell you all about these little biting things, that carry so many killer illnesses, wear a spray or have a candel. Do not
screach me to death from 40 passes please.

Now to the topic at hand... I do not know about trying to chase away kids, I know many kids and they can no hear that. It is only people with a very wide spec of hearing that can. True people that have spent 10 years driving a car with a radio so loud the people down the street sing along, will not hear it. There by teens and young adults having lost hearing early are ammuned. So I do not realy think the idea of driving kids away will work. But then The muted TV in Blockbuster made me stop shopping there (same sound).

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
there are a lot of street kids that like to hang out at the main bus station in my town. it's sort of a rough crowd, so the bus company has erected these horrible little tinny loudspeakers, and they play loud triumphant-sounding classical music to try to chase the street kids away.

it's the most pointless thing in the world. the teenagers don't care one way or the other, but everybody who walks by on the sidewalk has to listen to it. basically all they've accomplished is broadcasting their own negativity all over town. now i know what hatred and unfriendliness sounds like. it sounds like the blue danube waltz played over those crappy loudspeakers.

Role
Private
Note of interest: I can't hear those super-high frequencies that are used in these "Mosquito Devices".

So it doesn't bother me in the slightest! :p

kevintje

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I think they are horrible, and I'm glad belgium has forbidden them.

ZodiacPup

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Personally they don't affect me as it is intended, they're annoying, but I don't get away running. I wonder if its because my regular iPod usage. But well, more than a discriminatory stuff, I think it is safer here, since the 85% of the crimes are committed by young people. And my aunt says that where she lives, crime rate has lowered considerably since the neighbors started turning on the mosquitoes at nights. In my opinion, in some places (like in Mexico) it's just fine, but in others (like in some European countries) they are needless.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
There must be a frequency that cancels out that noise, or ear plugs I used plugs at work and they canceled out all the high screeching sounds, that damage hearing.

There a little weird to wear at first but you just scrunch them up and put them in your ear canal and they expand, you can hear everything just in lower tones, and there were cheap a few cents each, so I just used them and tossed them at the end of the day, there like a closed cell foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.