More Olympic notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maxx

In off topic because I don't intend to put anything controversial here. Of course one never knows how people will take things.....

1. There's a U.S. diver by the name of Steele Johnson. Really. I swear.

2. Over in the mature topics Olympic thread, I mentioned a crash in the women's cycling road race. The woman shown in the clip was leading at the time, with less than 10 miles to go. It's hidden because its horrifying, although last I heard, she's going to be OK.

Amateur video, so some dead space. Click in about 1:30 if you have a short attention span.

American Mara Abbott was in 2nd (eventually finished 4th) a few seconds behind, and apparently passed while the camera was focused on Annemiek.

3. I'm excited for the start of Men's Rugby 7's in an hour or so. If you're not familiar with the game, its worth a look. 7 men on a side, 7 minute halves, full-size pitch. Non-stop action, insanely fast-paced. Rooting for the U.S. of course, although they're unlikely to medal. Doesn't matter, its still a fun game.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
wrong types of asphalt and tyres for the climate/conditions.
not as yucky as that gymnast's leg, though (oh, the jokes we've made over the airwaves :biggrin:)

M

Maxx

wrong types of asphalt and tyres for the climate/conditions.
not as yucky as that gymnast's leg, though (oh, the jokes we've made over the airwaves :biggrin:)

Missed that one. Probably just as well. Never got into gymnastics, even though my sister was pretty good.

As for tires and asphalt, at that speed, there's no margin for error. It's not really apparent from the video how fast that downhill was. There were points where official video coverage was lost because the motorbikes didn't dare try to keep up. Add wet brakes..... Also consider the 100 or so kilometers of flat and the climbs that preceded. She's not in first at that point with appropriate tires for the descent. I consider it something of a sadistic choice of course by the organizers, but hey, that's cycling.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
My wife and I were watching the U. S. girl gymnasts win gold. They are incredible!

M

Maxx

Japan beat the All Blacks in rugby? Japan!!??!? That's my wtf moment of the games so far.

M

Maxx

My wife and I were watching the U. S. girl gymnasts win gold. They are incredible!

I don't get the scoring, but it sure is amazing. More enjoyable than usual this year since there are a couple U.S. gymnasts who actually look like women, as opposed to 10 year old girls or..... something else.

Edit: and please don't go off on me for judging by appearance. That's what the whole sport is about isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

A couple notable moments from yesterday....

1. Japan in the rugby semifinals, New Zealand NOT. Comparing notes with Junior, I guess Japan has been improving over the last couple years while we were busy with other things. Watching them play, it was no fluke. They are that good. Go Japan!

The U.S. team did about as they should have. There's always the chance Carlin Isles can break any game open if the tiny god of Luck smiles and gives him the ball with a little space, but otherwise U.S. ball handling and defense aren't that good.

The thing that has really struck in this tournament is the lack of scoring. Maybe seven's is maturing as a discipline, or maybe its just the level of competition and high stakes. On its face, a huge field with so few guys on it would seem to lend itself to lots of scoring and last-guy-to-touch-the-ball-wins, as it has in past tournaments I've seen.

2. A round of applause for Kristin Armstrong. 3rd straight time trial gold. Being involved in cycling, I knew she'd been around for awhile, but time kinda snuck up on me. She turns 43 today. The talking heads were all agog over that, oldest medalist since some archer in 1904.... and she's a mom. So trite and predictable. Me? Being an old guy, I always have to root for the old guy...er, gal.

Yes, there was some controversy over her selection to the team, some arguing that others had better performances in qualifiers, etc. I guess results speak for themselves.

Athletic editorial rant: Not that 43 is old. Those of us involved in endurance sports know that you don't even hit your peak until your 30's, and performance doesn't really start to drop off until mid-40's. My times stayed pretty flat until I needed bifocals at age 46 (like almost everyone I know...) IMHO, its dodging injuries over 100's of thousands of training and racing miles that's the real issue, rather than the inevitable decline mandated by Father Time. All those crashes take a cumulative toll.

As for childbirth, in my limited experience with elite female athletes, every one of them got significantly better after having a child (or two....). Something to do with the massive hormone changes in pregnancy and childbirth? Maybe. Psychological? Perhaps when compared to childbirth, going to your physical limits in competition doesn't seem as hard. "Pain, what pain?" Asking them about it, they weren't sure. They also brought up time management and sense of urgency. When you've got a child, free time disappears and every moment counts.

Or it could simply be that reproduction should happen in your 20's for best results, so by the time a female athlete hits her peak in her 30's, she's probably had a kid if she had any intentions of doing so.

Oh, and an Item 3. Maya Dirado, last minute coach's substitution in the 4x200 free relay. Maybe somebody else was a little off, maybe she showed the hot hand and some closing speed in her races? Whatever the reason, the U.S. team got gold as expected and she gets to go home with a complete set of medals. Gold, silver, bronze. I don't know if anyone else thinks that's cool, but I do. Almost cooler than 3 golds....

At the risk of being sexist (you expect that from me, right?), I think she's quite the cutie, aside from the awesome athletic skills. Yeah, she's married, as am I, but she is of legal age. Its OK if I lust from afar, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

zaps

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
2. Over in the mature topics Olympic thread, I mentioned a crash in the women's cycling road race. The woman shown in the clip was leading at the time, with less than 10 miles to go. It's hidden because its horrifying, although last I heard, she's going to be OK.

Amateur video, so some dead space. Click in about 1:30 if you have a short attention span.

American Mara Abbott was in 2nd (eventually finished 4th) a few seconds behind, and apparently passed while the camera was focused on Annemiek

As a cyclist, that kind of crash terrifies me. I ride for fun and exercise, and at least for now, I don't race because I am afraid of this kind of stuff.

While I understand that the overall course is huge, I am surprised that it took so long for medical attention to arrive. Not saying that they did anything wrong or should have been there sooner, just surprised, especially with the number of vehicles that just drove by.

M

Maxx

As a cyclist, that kind of crash terrifies me. I ride for fun and exercise, and at least for now, I don't race because I am afraid of this kind of stuff.

While I understand that the overall course is huge, I am surprised that it took so long for medical attention to arrive. Not saying that they did anything wrong or should have been there sooner, just surprised, especially with the number of vehicles that just drove by.

Consider where it happened. You can't just park an ambulance on a blind turn knowing that another hundred or so cyclists are going to come flying through there in another minute or so. To your point though, they probably should have had a medical team stationed there on foot knowing what happened in the men's race the day before.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I agree with you Maxx about our female gymnasts being more muscular, and less little girl like. The Washington Post said the same so I wouldn't feel like it's a sexist statement. It's simply a statement of fact.

I watched both the men's and women's cycle races, something which I found interesting and yes, it seemed like a long time before the ambulance arrived. He certainly hit hard. Didn't you find the loose water bottle on the cobble stone section crazy?

S

Starrunner

Canada's putting in a pretty mediocre performance so far, with six medals, only one gold as of right now. So far, most of the medals have come in the swimming events. So far, the Canadian women have won all the medals for our country, putting the men to shame. Still, it's early days, I suppose.

M

Maxx

Canada's putting in a pretty mediocre performance so far, with six medals, only one gold as of right now. So far, most of the medals have come in the swimming events. So far, the Canadian women have won all the medals for our country, putting the men to shame. Still, it's early days, I suppose.

LOL. Look who's counting medals....

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you Maxx about our female gymnasts being more muscular, and less little girl like. The Washington Post said the same so I wouldn't feel like it's a sexist statement. It's simply a statement of fact.

Like men, women store fat and build muscles in ways and shapes that are sometimes unique to them. Nothing they can do about it. Poor Simone does it in a way that detracts from the aesthetic IMO. Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas look like women...as long as they're not flexing. That's probably more typical among the female athletes I know. Just standing around, or better still in a slinky black dress, they're beyond hot. In action, with muscles flexed and inflated, they can be downright scary. Swimmers tend to be the smoothest, since a little extra body fat actually helps them (think seals... scientifically tested. The fat conforms to shock waves in the water, reducing drag). Its tough to disguise the shoulder bulk, though.

I watched both the men's and women's cycle races, something which I found interesting and yes, it seemed like a long time before the ambulance arrived. He certainly hit hard. Didn't you find the loose water bottle on the cobble stone section crazy?

Losing a water bottle on cobblestones isn't a surprise. Been there, done that racing on rough pavement. I also discovered in my first mountain bike race why nobody carries water bottles in that discipline.

I also heard something about the organizer-provided water bottles being a different size or composition. The good ones are LDPE, sometimes event gimme's are the cheaper HDPE. Stiffer and more likely to escape the bottle cage.

=====

On yesterday's rugby final... it turned out more like the sevens game I'm familiar with. Wide open, if one-sided, in both games. Japan turned out to be no match for RSA (no surprise), and Fiji exposed the fact that Great Britain's team hadn't been playing together very long.

--------
Edit: Funny Olympic three letter acronym sighting. I've got the TV on while visiting here and doing monthly bills. Water polo, USA vs MNE. Think about it, bearing in mind how a toddler might pronounce a certain word.

M

Maxx

Today's notes...

Maya Dirado screwed up her perfect set of medals by getting another gold. She's still a cutie, though. And that coast/kick/touch to win was unbelievable. Skill, not luck.

3 silvers in one event? Wild.

Now that track has started, watch female pole vaulters if you want to see a body type that really tickles my aesthetic fancy. Bearing in mind the audience here, if I were gay, I think male pole vaulters would do it for me. Double entendré not withstanding.

Edit: High jumpers, too. There's a loose-jointed supple slinkyness to the way they move that turns me on for some reason.

M

Maxx

Michelle Carter one-upping her dad's '84 silver in the shotput. Cute. You know they'll have some fun with that at the dinner table. A very large dinner table. With very large plates.

Simone Manuel. Nicely done. Her stroke is truly a thing of beauty. Thanks, underwater cameras.

WTF moment: "First American woman to compete wearing a traditional hijab". Seriously, NBC? A do-wrap under all that fencing gear is a big deal? Why not "first to wear mis-matched socks"? And while you're all about this diversity crap, what about the fact that a hijab is part of the muslim subjugation of women? And let's be honest here.... if it were really about modesty, fencing gear covers literally every inch of the body. Pretentious more-liberal-than-thou crap.

Edit: Let me be crystal clear on this. I understand, admire, and appreciate the time, effort, and skill required for anyone in any sport to qualify, compete, and medal in the Olympics. My argument is with NBC trying to use someone's lifetime of effort to push their liberal social and political agenda. Sorry, I hadn't intended for this thread to go this way. Frikkin NBC keeps pushing my buttons.

Edit2: Having thought about it a little during a 40 mile ride, its apparent NBC was more than happy to give air time to a black chick with a chip on her shoulder, since her whole bit fit nicely with their narrative. Annoying, but meaningless in the great scheme of things.

M

Maxx

Zero interest in the 100m dash.... if you're running from something/someone, 100 meters isn't enough to get you out of range. Pointless.

Watched some Greco Roman wrestling with Junior last night. No Americans, but still fun to watch. Basic and sometimes brutal. Some rule changes from the last time around. I like the new way better. A lot of competitors from the Stan's. Funny how a lot of them look like the same guy. A tribute to Genghis Khan I suppose. Not that I'm a great judge of fashion, but a lot of really cool looking singlets. China especially.

Angelic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Is that really anything to do with Olympics, Canada guy?

M

Maxx

Spent most of my allotted Olympic time yesterday streaming Greco Roman wrestling and track cycling. Greco is something of an acquired taste, even though it could be argued that it was the first sport. Running away would be the second. I'd totally understand, though, if one of you were to say "I watched for a bit and it was really stupid..... two big ugly guys pushing each other around for 6 minutes".

Track cycling is another weird sport. I call myself a cyclist, but I've never done it on a track. I find it fascinating for reasons I can't explain.

I did pop in to the prime time coverage long enough to see the men's 800. Some Kenyan dude repeated his London Gold performance. Awesome runner. He would not be denied.

M

Maxx

Hadn't intended to watch any more women's gymnastics. I was gassed last night, and the remote seemed a tad too far away to change the channel... so I saw the floor exercise. I'm pretty sure Isaac Newton's ramblings were violated multiple times.

Went to bed when beach volleyball started. I know there's athleticism involved, and of all people, I certainly value semi-naked women (think Jeff Foxworthy's description of the male psyche "I'd like a beer, and I'd like to see something nekkid"), but this doesn't fit with my concept of Olympic sport.

S

Starrunner

The men's high jumping event was last night and a Canadian, Derek Drouin, took the gold. Yaaay! That brings us to a total of 14 medals, three of which are gold.

I think our big story was seeing Andre Degrasse win the bronze in the 100 yard dash, placing only a tenth of a second behind the winner Usain Bolt. Just over three years ago, Degrasse was noticed when he was in a competition, training in old gym shorts and he had to borrow the shoes. He didn't know how to position himself in the blocks, so he took a standing start. Now at the age of 21 he's widely seen as a gold medal contender and heir apparent to the older winners of this year. He'll be one to watch out for. Very inspiring story.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-destined-for-global-stardom/article26068800/

M

Maxx

The men's high jumping event was last night and a Canadian, Derek Drouin, took the gold. Yaaay! That brings us to a total of 14 medals, three of which are gold.

Ah, yes!! I did catch what high jumping NBC condescended to give me. I might stream more of it (no cable at Maxx's house) when I ride over to Junior's in a bit to walk Juno. I wasn't paying attention to national affiliations, but it got me thinking. Is it more impressive if the short guy wins the high jump? Later, during the floor exercise I thought more about it. Simone Biles at 56 inches tall, has 12% more floor to execute her runs than 63 inch Aly Raisman. I wonder if that's a significant difference. On the other hand, Aly's length made her layouts appear that much more impressive. Does that influence judges perceptions?

S

Starrunner

Hmmm, good point. I wonder if shorter people would actually have an advantage because they have less weight to carry. If you had to toss someone over the bar you'd certainly be able to get more height and distance off from a person who is vertically challenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.