Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Carer
This is from Serebii.net:

Damage = ((((2 * Level / 5 + 2) * AttackStat * AttackPower / DefenseStat) / 50) + 2) * STAB * Weakness/Resistance * RandomNumber / 100

Seems long and confusing? Compared to the other formula's, this one is easy as pie. Let me explain all the variables first. Damage is, well, damage, the output number. Level is your pokemon's current level. AttackStat is your pokemon's Attack/Special Attack stat, whichever one is being used at the moment. DefenseStat is your opponents Defense/SpecialDefense stat, depending on the attack your pokemon is using. AttackPower is the power of the specific move you're using. For example, if you were to have been using Thunderbolt, you would have a 95 for this variable seeing as in the status screen, there's a 95 clearly marked in the move description when you select it. STAB is the same type attack bonus. If you're using a move that coordinates with your own type, you get a 1.5 bonus here. Otherwise, this variable is equal to 1. Weakness/Resistance depends on if your move was super-effective or otherwise. This variable could be 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, or 4 depending on how effective your attack was. RandomNumber is simply a Random Number between 85 and 100.

Now let's use this formula. Say I wanted to see the effectiveness of Umbreon's bite on an Espeon (I'm using neutral-nature maximum stats for this example). The pokemon are both level 100. Bite's attack power is 60. Lets say the Random Number is 100. Now let's plug in all the numbers:

Damage = ((((2 * 100 / 5 + 2) * 219 * 60 / 289) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2 * 100 / 100
Damage = ((((42) * 219 * 60 / 289) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2
Damage = (((1909.6) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2
Damage = 44.9
Damage = ~45

You may be saying WTF THATS TOO LOW but that's indeed near what it's going to be. Umbreon's Special Attack isn't that great and Espeon's Special defense is decent, so it makes sense why that number's pretty low. Try it out with a Kyogre's Surf vs. a Magikarp. :p

Oh yeah, you may be wondering how Swords Dance and those attacks up your stats. Well, each of the moves like that will up your stat or decrease your stats depending on the move a number of levels, maximum is six. Say you used Howl and upped your Attack stat by 1 level. What does that translate to? Well depending how many levels you have, those moves will up either your Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, or Special Defense stats by a certain percentage.

-6 levels: 25%
-5 levels: 29%
-4 levels: 33%
-3 levels: 40%
-2 levels: 50%
-1 level: 66%
0 levels: 100%
1 level: 150%
2 levels: 200%
3 levels: 250%
4 levels: 300%
5 levels: 350%
6 levels: 400%
That's basically all I can think of in calculating a move's damage.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Pokemon is now dead. Thanks for overcomplicating a fun game.

Donnie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Carer
Pokemon is now dead. Thanks for overcomplicating a fun game.

It's more complicated than you might think, Pojo. Ever heard of Effort Value? Or ever look up a pokemon's base stats? Pokemon is all about strategy.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Do you seriously think that much into it? I thought the strategy was pretty common sense, with out needing a calculator nearby

Donnie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Carer
Do you seriously think that much into it? I thought the strategy was pretty common sense, with out needing a calculator nearby

Then don't use it... I was just putting it out there because it was interesting. I don't use it either.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
The strategy to win the game is common sense. :)

The strategy to have the best Pokemon possible is math.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Then don't use it... I was just putting it out there because it was interesting. I don't use it either.

Then you don't want to battle me then.

EV training can net over 50 more stat points I think, if not more. Also EV training is easy as hell. The breeding for IV's is what sucks. If a pokemon had maxed out EV's and IV's which is possible but the likelihood of it happening is around 1 in 80,000 and that's with a whole days worth of breediing and checking. In the end it WILL wipe the floor with you.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Then you don't want to battle me then.

EV training can net over 50 more stat points I think, if not more. Also EV training is easy as hell. The breeding for IV's is what sucks. If a pokemon had maxed out EV's and IV's which is possible but the likelihood of it happening is around 1 in 80,000 and that's with a whole days worth of breediing and checking. In the end it WILL wipe the floor with you.

31 IVs.

6 stats.

Odds of 1 stat getting 31. 1/31

Odds of 2 stats getting 31. 1/31^2 == 1/961

Odds of 3 stats getting 31. 1/31^3 == 1/29,791

Odds of 4 stats getting 31. 1/31^4 == 1/923,521

Odds of 5 stats getting 31. 1/31^5 == 1/28,629,151

Odds of all six stats getting 31. 1/31^6 == A whopping 1 in every 887,503,681

For every eight-hundred-eighty-seven million, five hundred and three thousand, six hundred and eighty-one pokemon that you breed, one of those pokemon will have all six stats of 31.

The odds are a little scewed because breeding selects the IVs strangely, but it's the same extreme range of odds in the end.

Last edited:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Not quite, Fire2box..

Close, but not quite.

31 IVs.

6 stats.

Odds of 1 stat getting 31. 1/31

Odds of 2 stats getting 31. 1/31^2 == 1/961

Odds of 3 stats getting 31. 1/31^3 == 1/29,791

Odds of 4 stats getting 31. 1/31^4 == 1/923,521

Odds of 5 stats getting 31. 1/31^5 == 1/28,629,151

Odds of all six stats getting 31. 1/31^6 == A whopping 1 in every 887,503,681

For every eight-hundred-eighty-seven million, five hundred and three thousand, six hundred and eighty-one pokemon that you breed, one of those pokemon will have all six stats of 31.

The odds are a little scewed because breeding selects the IVs strangely, but it's the same extreme odds in the end.

You are right about that but it's possible to breed out IV's If you know what your doing you can get those chances way lower then that, however it's still a waste of time for the most part. However it is possible, more so if your a breeder.

Me on the other hand I use Pokesav and a action replay. I'll be willing to make you guys your teams only with maxed IV's and what not. It is cheating but I keep my pokemon within the legal limits of the game. I am not training pokemon for like 120 hours just to get half a team.

Donnie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Carer
I hate action replay with a passion, I do not usr pokemon obtained that way, and if you use action replay pokemon, I will not battle you.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
My God. As long as you're learning equations for calculating Pokemon damage you may as well be learning statistic tables for Bridge.

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
It's more complicated than you might think, Pojo. Ever heard of Effort Value? Or ever look up a pokemon's base stats? Pokemon is all about strategy.

Some people take games way, way too seriously.

I don't care about stats or anything. All this damage formula crap can just as easily be explained by "My pokemon has a higher level, and a better chance to win".

Honestly, Why suck the fun out of a game? It's like taking Super Smash Bros, a party game and making tier lists and staging tournaments. It's damn pathetic, in my opinion.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Some people take games way, way too seriously.

I don't care about stats or anything. All this damage formula crap can just as easily be explained by "My pokemon has a higher level, and a better chance to win".

Honestly, Why suck the fun out of a game? It's like taking Super Smash Bros, a party game and making tier lists and staging tournaments. It's damn pathetic, in my opinion.

If you're first playing the game, and looking all of this stuff up, then yes, it is pathetic. At this point, you should be playing the game to enjoy the game.

But it gets to a point where you've played and beaten the game again, and again, and you want something else to do with it. You don't want to stop playing, but it's starting to bore you.

That's where this stuff comes into play. :D

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I hate action replay with a passion, I do not usr pokemon obtained that way, and if you use action replay pokemon, I will not battle you.

Well you were not even trying to in the first place (I offered you the chance days ago when you accepted a challenge from anyone) anyways so in the end it doesn't even matter. But like I said I keep my pokemon within full legal limits of the game itself, I do not have 500 hours of time to waste on making the perfect pokemon team which I won't even be able to use in say 10 years.

Also I played pokemon correctly without cheating and I only use it to make competitive teams for battling. However apparently even if I did train without my action replay and pokesav program you would most likely cry over how I am using EV's and IV's to my advantage. :p

Really your calling these people retards then you cry about me taking those like 500 hours and reducing it to maybe 30 mins to make a "perfect" team.

Also do you guys know how many hacked pokemon are going around on the DS games? Hackers FILL the GTS with hacked and cloned pokemon. If you ever got a really good trade on the GTS I can assure you it was with someone who hacked the game. Hell if you see any pokemon with like 3-4 spaces behind it's name then that's a really bad hack job from pokesav.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Well you were not even trying to in the first place (I offered you the chance days ago when you accepted a challenge from anyone) anyways so in the end it doesn't even matter. But like I said I keep my pokemon within full legal limits of the game itself, I do not have 500 hours of time to waste on making the perfect pokemon team which I won't even be able to use in say 10 years.

Also I played pokemon correctly without cheating and I only use it to make competitive teams for battling. However apparently even if I did train without my action replay and pokesav program you would most likely cry over how I am using EV's and IV's to my advantage. :p

Really your calling these people retards then you cry about me taking those like 500 hours and reducing it to maybe 30 mins to make a "perfect" team.

Also do you guys know how many hacked pokemon are going around on the DS games? Hackers FILL the GTS with hacked and cloned pokemon. If you ever got a really good trade on the GTS I can assure you it was with someone who hacked the game. Hell if you see any pokemon with like 3-4 spaces behind it's name then that's a really bad hack job from pokesav.

I don't know about Latias, but my only problem is when the game itself is hacked and potentially corrupted.

Honestly, I can't even think of an example that would be "cheating" without doing just that, but that's beside the point.

I'm fine with it if you're cutting down on the time you spend training by "cheating" with something that doesn't break open the game and mess with the code, even temporarily. Gameshark, etc. That kind of stuff that has the potential to actually break the game is what I find wrong.

Otherwise, way to go! You just saved a lot of time! How'd you do it? :)

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I don't know about Latias, but my only problem is when the game itself is hacked and potentially corrupted.

Honestly, I can't even think of an example that would be "cheating" without doing just that, but that's beside the point.

I'm fine with it if you're cutting down on the time you spend training by "cheating" with something that doesn't break open the game and mess with the code, even temporarily. Gameshark, etc. That kind of stuff that has the potential to actually break the game is what I find wrong.

Otherwise, way to go! You just saved a lot of time! How'd you do it? :)

It's really simple and as long as you have a IQ above that of a shoe the likelihood of you destroying/bricking the game or DS is most likely 0%

I also don't go past the games legal limits of pokemon since if I did I might as well stop playing. It wouldn't be any fun if I never gave anyone a chance to beat me. However we still got idiots on a high horse saying I won't play you since you cheat whaaaa!!!!!!

Though I don't blame them for that since they wasted 40 hours breeding and training one pokemon out of many. I think there problem is that hackers don't waste so much of their days on pokemon and they think that it's unfair to them when infact it's not. Anyone can do it if they just buy a 20 dollar action replay cart and download a free program and watch a youtube video.

I don't know if I mentioned this but some of the pokemon you get in trades can be hacked as well. I know 98% of the ones I traded have been, however you won't be able to tell they were unless your a hacker yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.