Status
Not open for further replies.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
I'd like to run a minecraft server for ADISC, but:
- I don't really have the time to maintain it.
- I don't fancy paying the $50+ per month for hosting it. We did that last time, and it got really expensive quickly.
- I don't think I can admin it properly as I am not currently playing MC and one should never admin a game one doesn't play.

However, I think some members might appreciate an ADISC server for minecraft, and several of you have volunteered to host.

So, here's the deal: if you'd like to host ADISC's minecraft server, post here.

There are a few caveats:
  1. You have to run FTB. It is the modpack everyone wanted.
  2. You have to use the ADISC auth script that I provide. It translates mc names into ADISC names on the server, providing some measure of privacy, ensuring random people don't get on the server and mess up stuff, etc. It isn't perfect but it does help quite a lot.
  3. You have to actually be willing to admin the server. This includes things like making sure it works, but it also includes community chores like putting an end to machines which cause lag (some do) and using logblock/revert to undo vandalism.
  4. I reserve the right to pull the plug on the project, or move it to an ADISC-owned server, at any time. Obviously I don't plan to do this without good reason - as previously stated I don't want to run the server myself - but I reserve the right to if I'm not satisfied with how things are going.

So, yeah. If you fancy hosting an ADISC minecraft server, say so here. I don't promise I will start one, but I am heavily considering it.

When posting, please be sure to note your server specs, including details of where it would be hosted. Some of the modpacks are very RAM intensive and all else being equal, I'd prefer to choose a server with more resources.

Soccerbaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Not to undermine the founder of this website, but I think it would be a better idea to do a vanilla server so everyone can play without having to download something on their computer. And if so I would love to help admin the server.

lilkayden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
As some may know, I recently just rented a new server that I'm going to dedicate to minecraft.

Specs:
Kansas City Datacenter, USA
Xeon E3 1230 v2
3.3GHz / 3.7 GHz Turbo
4 Cores/ 8 Threads
8GB DDR3 RAM
250GB SATA Hard Drive
100Mb Unmetered NIC
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

I also have another server that some of you have played on that is still running. However I'm planning to close down that server and move to my new server. At the moment my plans are to move my custom FTB Unleashed 1.5.2 server over to my new server and also start a FTB Monster 1.6.4 server on the same server. From my research minecraft is runs better on a high frequency single core. I'm planning to split the ram, 2GB for my existing 1.5.2 server and 5GB for my 1.6.4 server.

I also like rollback mods... However from my experience I prefer coreprotect instead of logblock. Also I plan to use LWC for item protection and hero chat for server chatting. Also of course I have to include world edit and world guard. I also keep consistent world backups, just in case something does happen.

Regardless with my new job, my work hours are kind of wonky. In this case I would be willing to share admin powers with Moo and mod powers with the Adisc team. I will admin the server, just I can't be there all the time.

Not all lag is server lag. If your lagging, it's most likely client side lag. With big mod packs, a lot of stuff has to load. Just stand still until everything loads around you.
My final point is that I don't mine paying, just for the players, please don't try to harm the server. If you KNOW that what your doing is going to do something bad, DON'T!

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
Not to undermine the founder of this website, but I think it would be a better idea to do a vanilla server so everyone can play without having to download something on their computer. And if so I would love to help admin the server.

We've had a bunch of feedback that people want to play FTB more than vanilla.
Many of us (myself included) have already played quite a bit on vanilla, and frankly are bored of it.
So, FTB it is.

StacyAnn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Well as I have limited Server maintenance or and setup knowledge, this would be totally something new for me. But it would be very helpful in the end. I have done a bit of research on servers and found one that is rather cheap and allows you to use whatever FTB Modpack you want. Even if it's a custom one. But they preset everything up for you and you get full FTP access to the server. the site is www.mcprohosting.com. Very cheap but seems to be very good. I was going to try this with one of my current servers just so i could play around and learn something. I do plan to search around for other dedicated servers that I'd have to set up but this one seems to be the best possible result if I were to do this.. It's just finances may get in the way.

With that said, I'd be more than happy to find a server I can set up on my own so the ADISC plugin can be used. I'd also mod the server as Moo requested. I'd even give Admin status to those that Moo wanted to have Admin status. I don't have the finances right now but as i'm starting a new job on the 9th of July, this would more than likely be possible for a few months then finances would be a problem for me. So figuring that out would be key for me to do this. I'd also use whatever mod pack was chosen. There are 7 FTB modpacks that use the 1.6.4 Minecraft Edition. Monster, DireWolf20, Techworld, Horizons, PaxEast, Magic World and FTB Lite are the current ones for the 1.6.4 MC Version. So With that said. I'm sure Moo will pick the best person for this.

www.mcprohosting.com servers run E5-2620 Processors, DDR3 ECC RAM (doesn't say how much), Samsung SSD's and a 1Gbps blended fiber connection to each box.

Last edited:

AddyShadows

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I recommend against FTB, it's server intensive. From someone who has had administrative experience on minecraft, trust me, vanilla is better to start with until you know how many people for certain are going to play. Vanilla is far less intensive on the host pc as well as the clientside pc's. That said I'm just inputting my opinion here but... it's harder to find plugins for FTB such as world guard and logbook that can prevent griefing (Unless you're donig a PVP okay server, which those generally go downhill quickly.) Would likely have to restrict items such as world anchors (I can't remember if FTB has world anchors or not.) as that would kill the server with lag.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here by pointing any of the above out, just wanted to give some input on some things...

Edit*: And assuming you'd get at least an average of let's say 20-30 people online at one time provided from the traffic this site gets, you'd need some pretty serious hardware and a super fast internet connection to host a FTB server with that many people without lag. It's easier to run it off of a home machine like the server owner of the server I go on does. Less expensive, like $30 a year to own the domain name, that's not including internet though.

Oceltot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
There are some packs on the atlauncher I've heard are good. Like the yogscast complete pack has good mods.

BoundCoder

nnember
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
  3. Private
Personally I've had very little luck running an FTB server with more than a handful of concurrent users.

Ram wasn't so much the problem as CPU. You can easily pound more ram into a system. A lot of the mods use a lot of CPU when doing their thing, and if you get 7 or 8 people on a server with complex machines (AE setups, quarries, vast arrays of pipes) and chunkloaders, you quickly hit the single core limits of even a high end xeon.

There are mods out there like tickthreading which help immensely, however the compatibility with 1.6.4 is shaky right now, and 1.5.2 was skipped entirely, so unless you want to run an older 1.4.7 pack it's kinda a non-starter.

Not saying it wouldn't be possible to run a larger FTB server while still allowing people to do what they want, just that I've never been able to pull it off. If someone does, I'd love to see how they do it.

Oceltot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
We need a pack with like Carpenters blocks. Those are awesome and pretty cool. Ender IO looks cool too.

Bigbabybret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Well,

I can verify that mc ftb does pull lots of CPU...

My in house gaming server is 8-processors at 3.8Ghz overclocked...24Gb ram and a 8tb raid 10 sata array...

Running ftb and maybe 20 users I see CPU wait...lag starts getting bad...tickthreading...VERY UNSTABLE to say the least...

I have room on my server...it's hosted in my in house it center along with several others...

It's running centos 6.5 KVM so running another isn't a big deal...and yes static ip...

Right now my upload is being really used...lost a 5ghz link and backup route is over Internet...but should be resolved soon...

AddyShadows

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I talked to one of the administrators on the server I am part of the staff of, they don't mind the extra traffic, it's vanilla, it's already an established server with a staff and plugins and such. It's not exactly what you want with FTB but if you can't find anyone who can host the FTB for you, you're all welcome to come there.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
As some may know, I recently just rented a new server that I'm going to dedicate to minecraft.

Congrats. You're now hosting our MC server. :)
A link has been added to the nav, the code has been sent to you, and I've put a post in news.

Status
Not open for further replies.