MidWest FurFest 2019

Mattew

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Who all is attending MFF this year? Did you survive the room lottery, or find a way around it?

I'll be attending. I know that there were a few cub panels that were submitted as well. Tonight at midnight is the deadline for panel submissions, so we won't know for awhile longer what all panels / events will be happening. Hopefully we will have some cub panels like last year. There was a big turnout.

I wish I could :(
I pretty much just go to furlandia

I've heard good things about Furlandia. It's been growing quite a bit since it was started.

Reactions: JaysonTheRegressor
Mattew said:
I've heard good things about Furlandia. It's been growing quite a bit since it was started.
Yeah it's a good con. I've staffed a while, including being the staff artist last year

JaysonTheRegressor said:
Yeah it's a good con. I've staffed a while, including being the staff artist last year

OHH! That's so cool.

I love getting to help / staff cons. It's very rewarding.

• Love
Reactions: JaysonTheRegressor
Yeah, I saw that. I've been following it for the last couple days, including his response to having his registration revoked. He still says that he's going to attend.

Mattew said:
Yeah, I saw that. I've been following it for the last couple days, including his response to having his registration revoked. He still says that he's going to attend.
It looked to me like his only interest was in making a scene.

I would love to attend a con someday! I heard MFF is rapidly growing bigger than Anthrocon. As for now, I usually just go on youtube and binge watch con videos, especially the dance comps, and Foxes & Peppers.

Trevor said:
It looked to me like his only interest was in making a scene.

Pretty much. He's a troll.

Reactions: FeliDaKitten
JWolf said:
I would love to attend a con someday! I heard MFF is rapidly growing bigger than Anthrocon. As for now, I usually just go on youtube and binge watch con videos, especially the dance comps, and Foxes & Peppers.

Yeah, it's the current largest fur con in the world. Last year they were just shy of 11k people. So it's a blast if you're ok with large groups of people. The lobby gets crazy packed. We completely take over the main hotel. It's sold out. There's a few other nearby hotels that we mostly have, and then the convention center as well.

I heard that MFF is expecting to have 15k people there this year, but only time will tell. They did a room lottery this year that has upset a lot of people. Many are saying that they will attend a different con, but that could just be talk. Won't know the final numbers until December.

For comparison on the numbers, the same year (2018) that MFF had 10,989 people, Anthrocon (AC) had 8407 people. They overtook AC as the largest in 2017, I think. Both are continuing to grow, but MFF's growth has been a larger percentage than AC for awhile.

Here's a link to a wikifur article about the largest fur cons by attendance.

Mattew said:
Pretty much. He's a troll.
I know DreamKeepers are big fans of his, so I wasn’t wholly surprised.

I don’t really do cons anymore, so I won’t be attending myself.

I've pretty much given up on MFF. The same goes for FC, whose room block also filled up completely in almost an instant. When a furry con gets that big and overcrowded, it's time to move on to a smaller, more accessible convention. My next event will be Golden State Fur Con.

Yeah, not many people were fans of the room lottery that MFF does now in order to prevent the hotel from selling out in 30 seconds like it used too.

I will be there! I went to the babyfur meetup panel last year, but I showed up late and didn't really talk to anyone.

saib said:
I will be there! I went to the babyfur meetup panel last year, but I showed up late and didn't really talk to anyone.
Which one did you go too?

The first one in the main room? The one that was in the overflow room? Or the One back in the main room that was a rerun of the first one?

I had some friends get there late, so they were turned away from the main room, and went into the overflow room where someone did an impromptu meet and greet. They just found a room that was empty and took it over.

sounds like MFF needs to start doing things like bronycon used to and rent some of a convention center so anyone can get any hotel they want without a lottery

Mattew said:
Which one did you go too?

The first one in the main room? The one that was in the overflow room? Or the One back in the main room that was a rerun of the first one?

I had some friends get there late, so they were turned away from the main room, and went into the overflow room where someone did an impromptu meet and greet. They just found a room that was empty and took it over.
I think I went to the main one. I ran off to the dance after a bit and there were a bunch of people outside that weren't there when I got there.

RetroGamerGuy said:
sounds like MFF needs to start doing things like bronycon used to and rent some of a convention center so anyone can get any hotel they want without a lottery

They do. A lot of the convention is in the convention center. Some panels are also done in the main hotel. Sadly there isn't a spot that they can move too that's bigger, unless they move to a different city. I've talked to some of the staff. They pretty much sell out several hotels in the area.

Main hotel has 1096 rooms. Then we take over the Hilton, Embassy Suites, Aloft, Crown Plaza, and Double Tree which are in the closest block to the main hotel.

There's a few other hotels that they have room blocks in that are further down the road that you need to drive from. They have a shuttle service that is always running between those and the main hotel.

But yeah. They're expecting 15k people this year.

hmmm well still the lottery thing is....blah to me. When I would come home from bronycon i would immediately pre-book a hotel room in the closest hotel the same day lol and id be golden for the year and not have to stress it

Back