Mercury found in HFCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
BevNET.com: Study finds mercury in HFCS, findings questioned

So, it looks like mercury is in many forms of HFCS found in common household foods. While the objective levels are pretty small it could be a significant source of mercury that was unknown. Considering how harmful even small quantities of mercury are to kids, this could be something the FDA will look in to in the near future.

Another reason not to eat products with HFCS! :)

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
...so no one cares that a product which the average American consumed 25Kg of per year might have an extremely toxic element in it? And we haven't heard of this before?

Gil

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've always been incredibly opposed to HFCS. I've always thought, "Get all of this chemical crap out of our food!"

Now we have another possible Autism link.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Thats a major stretch. The mercury content of the highest tested HFCS sample was some 300,000 times less then the maximum allowable level in Tuna. The actual amount of Mercury is pretty inconsequential. However, the fact that there is mercury period in HFCS is disturbing simply because we did not know it.

Its rather funny, the corn refiners assn. was just running ads touting HFCS as natural (which is arguable) and it being fine in moderation. Talk about a major PR reclamation job.

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Well I'll assume that HFCS is something that's used in "food" with no nutritional value whatsoever, which are foods I don't usually eat (a lot). So I'm not especially worried or surprised.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
High Fructose Corn Syrup. Due to high US tariffs and the strength of the corn lobby, much of the sugar used in food production was replaced with High Fructose Corn Syrup in the mid 70s. It is in almost any product that could use sugar.

Everyone, go into your refrigerators and pantries; you'll be surprised as to how many products contain High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
...so no one cares that a product which the average American consumed 25Kg of per year might have an extremely toxic element in it? And we haven't heard of this before?
“Frankly,” Winter said, “I don't see based on their findings that they've made much of a case that this is something that consumers need to worry about."

your answer is in the link you provided.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I even noticed that Plain Bagels had HFCS!
Exactly. Everywhere sugar once was, HFCS is now.

“Frankly,” Winter said, “I don't see based on their findings that they've made much of a case that this is something that consumers need to worry about."

your answer is in the link you provided.
The amount of mercury may be inconsequential in the long run, but the fact is mercury is in something that is has no reason to be in. It makes one wonder what else we're missing.

also, does anyone know a HFCS free ketchup?

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've always been incredibly opposed to HFCS. I've always thought, "Get all of this chemical crap out of our food!"

Er, I wouldn't call corn syrup "chemical crap". Really, if you eat in the US it is pretty much impossible to not eat it. I do prefer the taste of regular cane sugar in soda and things, though. That's one thing that makes Jones soda taste better.

On the other hand, fish has trace amounts of mercury as well, and sea food in general at that.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Aye, seafood has lots of mercury in it. But we understand where it comes from, and we caution children and pregnant women not to eat seafood because of that. However, we had no clue that mercury was in HFCS. It just makes me wonder what other toxic materials are in food that we dont know about.

Role
Private
If you're scared by a long post and are just going to type
, head down to the end of the post under If you read nothing else in this post, please read this.

Well I'll assume that HFCS is something that's used in "food" with no nutritional value whatsoever, which are foods I don't usually eat (a lot). So I'm not especially worried or surprised.
Everyone, go into your refrigerators and pantries; you'll be surprised as to how many products contain High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Absolutely correct. It's everywhere and this is not just a case of seeing the sky falling when it is not. sparkmaster is absolutely correct; it is extremely difficult to go shopping and not find HFCS ... at least in the normal stores in the USA.

BevNET.com: Study finds mercury in HFCS, findings questioned

So, it looks like mercury is in many forms of HFCS found in common household foods. While the objective levels are pretty small it could be a significant source of mercury that was unknown. Considering how harmful even small quantities of mercury are to kids, this could be something the FDA will look in to in the near future.

Another reason not to eat products with HFCS! :)
For me, at least, the danger of HFCS itself far overshadows that of mercury. HFCS is increasingly being tied to "Syndrome X," as diabetes, obesity, and heart disease are being looked at now as three prongs of the same syndrome/disorder - "Syndrome X" - with dietary antecedents.

It just makes me wonder what other toxic materials are in food that we dont know about.
A LOT! Artificial Sweetners, anyone? (Well, we already knew about that, but still...)
Scary story here: the first time I ate sucralose (Splenda) in 2001, I received an absolute bitch of a headache, unlike anything I'd had before. I thought I was having an aneurysm. I ate about half of a "snack-size" bag of Kettle Korn (popcorn) and gave the rest of it away. Now, however, I suspect I've eaten sucralose in small amounts and have become "used" to it.

Er, I wouldn't call corn syrup "chemical crap". Really, if you eat in the US it is pretty much impossible to not eat it. I do prefer the taste of regular cane sugar in soda and things, though. That's one thing that makes Jones soda taste better.

On the other hand, fish has trace amounts of mercury as well, and sea food in general at that.
Absolutely correct about HFCS being ubiquitous. I think, however, that we can settle on terms and flag it, "natural crap." Off the top of my head, I believe I've read that it - unlike sugar - doesn't flip the "I'm full" switch in the body. So you end up eating more of it than sugar, and you do so without noticing. Insofar as mercury consumption, at least with fish you get PLENTY of "good" things along with a tiny bit of mercury; with HFCS you get nothing along with a tiny bit of mercury. You can compare this to the sweetness-from-fruit versus sweetness-from-HFCS argument: eating a twinkie is sweet, yes, but you gain nothing else from it. Eating a mango is sweet, but you also get fiber, nutrients, AND the sugar is a simple sugar (fructose) rather than a complex sugar (sucrose). The argument here is that if small amounts of mercury are now part of our environment, we should endeavor to get as much "goodness" as we can while ingesting this mercury.

However, the fact that there is mercury period in HFCS is disturbing simply because we did not know it.

Its rather funny, the corn refiners assn. was just running ads touting HFCS as natural (which is arguable) and it being fine in moderation. Talk about a major PR reclamation job.
Those ads make me crazy. The fact that HFCS is "natural" (at least, from natural sources) does not extend to the truth claim that it is "safe." Look at cocaine. Look at tigers. Both natural, both harmful to us.

If you read nothing else in this post, please read this: I've saved the best for last.

On the History Channel a while ago, I saw a program on HFCS and the FDA. Apparently in 1980 a sweetener was being examined by the FDA - HFCS. The person charged with giving the go/no-go decision on this had 5 scientists leading up independent safety studies. Apparently the first run through, 3 or 4 of these scientists said, no, HFCS is unsafe for human consumption. After some maneuvering, the person charged with the report replaced scientists until he received a panel that assured the safety of HFCS. The FDA approved it, and we had HFCS as a valid food product.

I'm really not one for conspiracy theories, but I suspect the FDA man was in the pocket of the Corn Board / Corn Growers' Association. I present details in the following:
  1. Swapping out scientists until you receive the desired result isn't good science, it's data-snooping and result-shopping (bad).
  2. Driving toward a predefined end is not only bad science, but when the end matches the goal of a powerful extra-governmental (lobbying) source, it starts to look bad.
  3. The man's name charged with returning a "thumbs-up" result for HFCS was Donald Rumsfeld.
  4. Donald Rumsfeld's career seems to be very removed and much more powerful than "FDA oversight guy."
Hence, I suspect that the Corn Growers' Association had Rumsfeld in their pocket and used him to inject their product into the food supply of the USA. At the expense of consumer safety.

I would love to see how this emerges in 30 years under a series of FOA requests. I posit that the chain of events outlined here are either the result of gross incompetence and actively poor science followed by an exceptionally lucky (career) streak ... or the result of Rumsfeld being in the pocket of a large group with sway in the country. I'm betting on the latter.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Hmm. Does it even matter that it's there? Nobody even knew about the mercury until these studies and would eat the stuff with corn syrup. I don't know how long it's been in use but it certainly hasn't affected people in noticeable ways.

Role
Private
Hmm. Does it even matter that it's there? Nobody even knew about the mercury until these studies and would eat the stuff with corn syrup. I don't know how long it's been in use but it certainly hasn't affected people in noticeable ways.
Yes, it does, but not for the reason you may think.

When a bridge fails and collapses, and does so in the middle of the night when no one is trying to use it, does it matter?

Yes, because it points out larger issues that exist within and surrounding the bridge, such as maintenance, oversight, reliability of infrastructure, and so forth.

So it is with HFCS, and I hope this causes an inquiry and subsequent investigation. As I've pointed out above, the revelation that mercury is in HFCS is hardly the largest strike against it. I am far more interested in an unbiased scientific investigation than its outcome. The investigation may well determine that HFCS is the greatest "superfood" ever and ultimately good for us. This end (though it doesn't match what I suspect) would be fine if supported by open, unsupported scientific inquiry.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I wasn't saying it was passable that mercury is in the stuff, but I haven't noticed any problems with people who have eaten it their whole life, like myself. :\

Eulogy

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Meh, doesn't matter for me, Illegal for food usage here in Canada :p (Least I think it is, if its not illegal, no one carries products with it...everything is Glucose-Fructose)

Sucks for you Americans though...

Sidenote: Eat more cilantro, it's been proven to remove heavy metals(Mercury,Lead,Copper etc) from your body, certain chemical inside fresh cilantro clings to the metals, and causes them to be removed

Also, if you want to avoid high mercury levels, don't eat Albacore tuna(The type of Tuna that sticks by the shore) Eat Salmon, or if you really want tuna, eat Tongol/Skipjack Tuna.

Last edited by a moderator:
Role
Private
Meh, doesn't matter for me, Illegal for food usage here in Canada :p (Least I think it is, if its not illegal, no one carries products with it...everything is Glucose-Fructose)
I didn't know that. Canada looks better and better by the day!

Sidenote: Eat more cilantro, it's been proven to remove heavy metals(Mercury,Lead,Copper etc) from your body, certain chemical inside fresh cilantro clings to the metals, and causes them to be removed
Also, if you want to avoid high mercury levels, don't eat Albacore tuna(The type of Tuna that sticks by the shore) Eat Salmon, or if you really want tuna, eat Tongol/Skipjack Tuna.
Excellent! Thanks for the pointers!

It looks like the "superfood" may well be a banana mashed with egg white, smothered with curry powder (there's a component of curry that is supposed to stave off Alzheimer's and dementia, but I cannot recall it right now ... eek!) and cilantro. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.