Mental health, and the NHS

Marting

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
So yesterday I was dropped by the local mental health outpatients unit (where I've been a patient for a year, since moving back to the UK after a nervous breakdown). Their excuse: I'm in need of therapy straight away!

So basically their point is this: under their care I would need to wait over a year to recieve therapy. I'm only able to get therapy elsewhere if I'm not under their care. So the unit (which is there for outpatients in need of the most care), has to drop me, for me to recieve the care I need. So I'm now on my own, because I'm too vulnerable to be cared for by the service that is meant to cater for the most vulnerable. It's utter madness! (Excuse the pun 😉).

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
We have a severe shortage of mental services here where I live in the state of Virginia. I had to wait two months before I could get an appointment with a psychologist. I think this was mental health month in the U. S., yet as a nation, we don't fund enough for the number of facilities and doctors. I also read in the news that in the U. S., one out of five people suffer from depression. I'm not surprised given how our country is run by our politicians, or how stressful jobs are, and how sleep deprived many Americans are. Life in general is very difficult to deal with.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I used to go to a county run clinic; which was fine

Until they dropped me

They dont get enough funding so apparently they think it is acceptable to drop you, refuse to send medication in (because you are no longer in their system)

And yet they send me bills expecting me to pay

1. I dont have spare money (especially for a place that left me in a nightmare situation)

2. That is not acceptable action just because they figure I owe them too much money

I was in this cycle of 15 hour work days, and then I was supposed to sleep 8 hours, get up, and go to work another 15 hours

Problem is I could not sleep very long (under 2 hours a night) and I was 100% exhausted physically and mentally by day 3

That happened twice because they dropped me

The only thing that saved me in between was going to a hospital for them to give me medication, release me, and give me a temporary prescription

So now on top of that bill, I have hospital bills, oh and I owe a debt collector which I intended to pay

But I haven't even started because my Mom is out of working getting unemployment, so now I have to pay more in bills than I have in a very long time and I'm getting basically no overtime

But I am managing okay through this all

It really sucks that this is how they treat mental health, and they wonder "why are there so many shootings at schools"

And then they blame guns

Let me know when guns are computerized and they shoot people all on their own without somebodies hand to pull the trigger; I will wait.

Last edited:

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I hear you B.Tyrant. Yeah, I had to say B. like in B. Bunny for Bugs Bunny. Anyway, I lost my doctor when the entire office closed. I thought, no problem. I'll just get another doctor. I'm 71 but I have a very good private insurer, one sponsored and created by our hospital system. Never the less, no one would take me because Medicare still pays 80%. After a year of searching and running out of my Statin superscription, I found a group who would take me. I said I need an appointment immediately so I could renew my cholesterol medication and they said sure, he can see you in 5 months. So welcome to the American medical system where it's "let 'um die!"

Essexinco

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent
So yesterday I was dropped by the local mental health outpatients unit (where I've been a patient for a year, since moving back to the UK after a nervous breakdown). Their excuse: I'm in need of therapy straight away!

So basically their point is this: under their care I would need to wait over a year to recieve therapy. I'm only able to get therapy elsewhere if I'm not under their care. So the unit (which is there for outpatients in need of the most care), has to drop me, for me to recieve the care I need. So I'm now on my own, because I'm too vulnerable to be cared for by the service that is meant to cater for the most vulnerable. It's utter madness! (Excuse the pun 😉).
Totally hear you there - I am also UK based - In short I was under the local MH team for over 2 years due to psychiatric conditions - it was suggested that I may also be autistic - so I had to be discharged from the MH team to be accepted by the Learning difficulties team for autism testing.

Anyway I am autistic - but now I have been discharged by Learning difficulties team and cant get back on the MH team easily. I have been waiting for 8 months and had many hospital visits for safety reasons. While I sympathise with NHS funding issues and the mess its in - the MH patients are suffering right now and the speciality is in crisis and meltdown

I truly hope you get the help you need soon though

Marting

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Totally hear you there - I am also UK based - In short I was under the local MH team for over 2 years due to psychiatric conditions - it was suggested that I may also be autistic - so I had to be discharged from the MH team to be accepted by the Learning difficulties team for autism testing.

Anyway I am autistic - but now I have been discharged by Learning difficulties team and cant get back on the MH team easily. I have been waiting for 8 months and had many hospital visits for safety reasons. While I sympathise with NHS funding issues and the mess its in - the MH patients are suffering right now and the speciality is in crisis and meltdown

I truly hope you get the help you need soon though
Thank you. I hope you get your support too.