Member status reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cen Aeonis

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Whether it's temporary, a glitch, or something else, I and several other members have been reverted to Newbie status. Any reason why this may be?

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Yeah same thing with me, please help.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Yes, this is a glitch, and it is being investigated.

Cen Aeonis

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
...And just like that, it seems my status is back to normal.

Well, I wish you luck on your quest to discover the source of the glitch.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Yeah, that's because it took me 8 minutes to notice your post, track down and fix the glitch.

There's a long-running bug in the way that vBulletin handles promotions between usergroups.
Promotions that run off "less than" comparisons, like this one :
If usergroup=regular and posts<1 then set usergroup=newaccount
occasionally have their operator switched, so are instead saved as :
If usergroup=regular and posts>1 then set usergroup=newaccount

Of course, when this happens, it is a pain in the butt because it results in a bunch of people getting wrongly demoted, or repeatedly bounced around between different usergroups.

My theory is that the vBulletin developers have never fixed this glitch because they don't normally use the promotions system for demotions, as we do.
We have a bunch of promotions setup that actually demote people under certain situations.
For example, newbies with -3 rep or less get demoted to a moderated usergroup.
Newbies who have all their posts deleted get demoted back to new account/lurker, because the system detects they don't have any posts anymore.

I double-check my promotion settings, but, sometimes, they still manage to change sign on me after being saved correctly. So they end up with the wrong sign due to the bug.

When this happens a bunch of people get wrongly demoted, and I track this down and fix it manually.

It shouldn't be a problem for much longer though. I've re-checked every single one of them in the last 15 minutes, so I know they're all saved correctly now.
Within the next few days, I'll be doing some code changes so that we're no longer reliant on vBulletin's rather inflexible system, and no longer have to put up with it occasionally saving promotions backwards.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
i just got sent back to newbie after getting off of modertaion. just thought i'd let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.