Melting in the heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elli

Well, the Uk is currently in a heatwave, but I hadn't expected this to happen...

I wore Boots StayDry, as the cloth-feel and breathable sides avoids all that sweaty hot plastic. And this was great, until I noticed the nappy getting looser, and realised what was happening. They have a plastic panel 'landing zone' and the glue that holds this to the cloth-feel material had melted into a sticky web-like mush. The tapes were still stuck to it, but the landing zone was working it's way off and making sticky goo on my shorts.

My nappy was melting off me!!

WoodlandWanderer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I love the irony here. In the UK we always complain about not having good weather. Then when we get good weather we complain over the effects it has, we're a hard bunch to please!

I think the only solutions here are to stay where it's cool, find a different nappy or don't wear one.

babyemo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
well, not wearing one is out of the question :p i suggest bambino! the one i had here held up all day in 120f weather :)

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
How hot is it/was over there? A few days ago it was 110 here in central California.

E

Elli

How hot is it/was over there? A few days ago it was 110 here in central California.

Ha, yeah...well, it got to 32C (89.6F) in London, and more like 30C elsewhere. But to those in the UK, that's HOT!! I guess it was quite humid too. And no one really has air-con in their homes, just in some public buildings.

Yeah, the solution is to not wear one really, or just at night. But it amused me to have that melting happen! I guess UK nappies are only meant for normal Uk weather!!

Dakota13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Cloth diapers without sticky tapes, prevail I believe makes a cloth diaper with Velcro style tapes that should not have the same problem.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Well my diapers don't melt even in 100 degree heat, also 80-90 is fine weather. A little warm but surely not hot.

E

Elli

Well my diapers don't melt even in 100 degree heat, also 80-90 is fine weather. A little warm but surely not hot.

You guys must be far more hardcore bearers of heat than us in the UK! We have a whole BBC web page dedicated to the heatwave.

BBC - Weather - Weather News

It was the glue that melted, that holds the landing zone to the cloth-backing. Gooey strands of glue.

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Lol Fire2box, here in the UK this weather is unheard of!

The met have released a Weather Warning, of level 2 out of 4, although it's been predicted it will go up to 4 before the end of the week. We aren't prepared for weather like this so it hits us harder.

I think *I'm* melting in the heat here, so I'm not surprised your nappy has as well Elli! Poor poor you, that must have been a shock!

E

Elli

Yay, no offence to anyone else, but it's great to find a brit who understands our difficulty in adjusting to the heat! I am a bit used to those particular nappies failing in some way or another, but this new way amused me! :)

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Elli, I normally live in Scotland but I'm in London at the moment, I'm positively dying!!

Tommy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Yay, no offence to anyone else, but it's great to find a brit who understands our difficulty in adjusting to the heat! I am a bit used to those particular nappies failing in some way or another, but this new way amused me! :)

Lol, i haven't been to bad adjusting. We had quite bad weather, then this heat came from nowhere. Ive just been sitting around drinking lots of ice cold water all day :D Nice fan on next to me, without a top on =]. Use my bedroom blinds to stop the heat coming in, perfect.

barkd74

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Gee Just over 100 deg here yesterday and I thought it was perfect! The bast part of hot weather is being able to sit outside at 10:00 PM with friends in shorts & t-shirts...

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I'm glad it hasn't gotten into the 90's that much this summer. This summer is definitely cooler than it has been. It's still too hot for me though >_>

Role
  1. Other
I'm glad it hasn't gotten into the 90's that much this summer. This summer is definitely cooler than it has been. It's still too hot for me though >_>

90 degrees? Wow, maybe I'm just used to heat, but that doesn't seem really high if it's below that. Though, we all have our own preferences and I do prefer the cold (though it never gets too cold here >_>).

Well Elli, you could try disposables if you need diapers. As for the heat, just find a pool or something and drinks lots of ice water to cool off and stay hydrated.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
90 degrees? Wow, maybe I'm just used to heat, but that doesn't seem really high if it's below that. Though, we all have our own preferences and I do prefer the cold (though it never gets too cold here >_>).

Well you're in Texas. It's closer to the equator, so it's bound to be hotter. Under 90 for most of the summer is actually cooler here than it used to be. It's gone up in the 100's for many days in past summers.

Maxicoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
I hate summer I'd rather be cold. Get 95 or 100 deg day with the wind comeing out of the south-west and then you get the smell from the feed lots. That smell will just about make you vomit. That is a typical summer day in Amarillo.

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
It's been around 30C here the past days. The main problem for me is the fact that I live on the top floor, so the sun is heating up the roof and making all rooms even hotter.
I can bear it though. It's not comfortable, but I've spent a year in a climate where temperatures close to 40C and 99% humidity were normal for 2-3 months. So this "heat spell" doesn't quite feel like it for me.

Peachy

Role
  1. Other
Well you're in Texas. It's closer to the equator, so it's bound to be hotter. Under 90 for most of the summer is actually cooler here than it used to be. It's gone up in the 100's for many days in past summers.

Ohh, well then I guess you're lucky this summer. :D

I hate summer I'd rather be cold. Get 95 or 100 deg day with the wind comeing out of the south-west and then you get the smell from the feed lots. That smell will just about make you vomit. That is a typical summer day in Amarillo.

Ouch, that probably sucks. I guess I'm lucky that the only feed lots around here are further down the road. :sweatdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.