Meet The Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Could each staff member, IRC mods included, please make a single intro thread, possibly closed (non-discussion,) in which they list:

1. their job title and description
2. a personal description of themself, a capsule bio

preferably in hierarchy order

And maybe make this a greetings thread sticky

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Aww :( I thought we were gonna have a Meet&Greet with the staff...where the staff members get together and answer questions from the members.
But then, it's really not necessary, simply because staff is readily available in the forum, the IRC and via PM.

As for the topic at hand: Just follow the link Dreamaker provided ;)

Peachy

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Aww :( I thought we were gonna have a Meet&Greet with the staff...where the staff members get together and answer questions from the members.
But then, it's really not necessary, simply because staff is readily available in the forum, the IRC and via PM.

Peachy

Well, we can do it anyway, right? :D

Hi, Peachy! How are you? I'm Mesmerale!

What are Nuk 5's made out of? ^_^

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
[font="Calibri,Arial"]You mean this: Staff roles - ADISC Answers Wiki ?[/font]

Yes exactly... *blushes* I had forgotten about that. I just wish it was more out front and obvious rather than having to be looked for. Also the self-description of each staffie as a person, as well as their job description would be nice. Making the staff seem more personable and approachable for newcomers.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
[font="Calibri,Arial"]You mean this: Staff roles - ADISC Answers Wiki ?[/font]

There is also ADISC - Show Groups

I would simply have this material (plus the self-written capsule bios instead of profile pages) more out in the open and obvious. We assume that stickies will get read, but they don't self-promote themselves very well. My suggestions of "newbie forum" and Treasure hunt" and "auto-pming newbies" haven't been met with delight they deserved, so here's another:

"Meet the mods" appear as a regular blue thread, but stickied in place... and be closed part way through (updatable by mods) and open thereafter for discussion. This utility would have applications in all sorts of other threads; so my first question, is - is this technically possible?

It opens up all manner of tasty possibilities, like each thread being able to as a quasi-wiki with discussion following. (For the threads that deserve longevity; not for threads with a shelf-life.)

In popular culture thread posts with video or image urls could be moved to the permanent section. Maybe a tag could be attached to certain kinds of posts like "contains url" or "will send free samples" as they are made, and would aut-add to the closed portion, or in other threads, as appropriate, mods could move them manually. I really like the idea of members doing some of the organizing to take this duty off the mods' shoulders and reduce their large workload.

This would perhaps prevent having to go through a hodgepodge of posts to find the most relevant ones on a topic, say like a brands discussion. Each brand would be an "early" post in the thread with its discussion linked to it (via quote button or tag) - the discussion appearing in the open portion of the thread. Same with discussions of other *b/dl sites - minor-friendly ones - a very useful resource, but one which would require close monitoring to prevent spamming, disallowed promotion, and flaming. Yay! The ADISC entity could befriend other entities! By only speaking about ADISC-friendly entities (DA? Bittergrey's Den? Babyfur sites?) we would passively exclude "bad" sites; hey youngster - if it is not on our "friendly list - don't go there!) - and create a mutual support community among sites. With a security upside, not to mention a marketing upside: attracting newbies with a high potential of being "good" signups, while doing the same for ADISC's friends! Yays I can be an ADISCER AND a furrymucker and an "inconsupport.net" member!

This would be a great way to embed stickies right in their relevant thread, right at the top. When people reads a thread it is natural to go to the blue, normal threads; it is natural to read a thread through. But with the "first unread post" existing utility a member can skip what he wishes to. Thus important info is made obvious, but without being foisted on anybody.

Thus we would start to turn ADISC into a relational database, with the "only readers" Peach mentioned being able to zoom in on what they seek more easily. Moreover, we would not have to reinvent the wheel with timeless questions being asked and reasked, that had already been answered. Site functionality is key; and it has suffered with growth; but there are ways to tie the site together for a large and growing audience and membership, to enhance the tight-knit tight-huggled feeling of community through eficiency and utility. Yays!

Raccoons like elegance, second only to irony.

And keep it up with reasoned, well-substantiated, rudeness and drama-free criticism of my ideas!!! What doesn't kill me makes me stronger! Hear that, Mr. Y?

Last edited:

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I would simply have this material (plus the self-written capsule bios instead of profile pages) more out in the open and obvious. We assume that stickies will get read, but they don't self-promote themselves very well. My suggestions of "newbie forum" and Treasure hunt" and "auto-pming newbies" haven't been met with delight they deserved, so here's another:

"Meet the mods" appear as a regular blue thread, but stickied in place... and be closed part way through (updatable by mods) and open thereafter for discussion. This utility would have applications in all sorts of other threads; so my first question, is - is this technically possible?

Part 1: (blue stickies): I doubt it. At least not with the green stickies too.

Part 2: (closed but can be posted in and edited by mods): that's already the case.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Maybe a manually edited post# would work: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc. 2.1, 2.2, etc or some kind of continuous thread merge, so the first portion would be a "phantom" thread and the second portion added to it, so both portions could be updated as needed. This would require an auto-merging/demerging function.

If this had to be invented, it would contribute to the vBulletin utilities at large.

so reply would have two options: reply to thread 1, reply to thread 2. If 1, demerge, reply as normal, remerge 2 over 1. If reply to 2, as per normal.

Or if they were managed as distinct threads any most recent post in 1 could auto linked to the oldest post in 2; as it would remain static the auto-link could be to the first post by post# in 2.

F

FullMetal

This is like 'Meet the Parents,' right? Wheres the funny?

FullMetal

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private

Peachy

I just got the mental image of everyone sat in a circle, introducing themselves, drinking tea and coffee and eating biscuits 0.O

But yeah - what's stopping you? I mean I would feel a lot more comfortable asking questions to a VIP than a mod (as a newcomer). Mods are those who take on a lot of responsibility for the site - obviously not as much as Moo - but still, have a lot to work with and are busy people in that respect. Not that I'm suggesting it's the case, but I think I would fear asking a mod a question for them to say "sorry - I cannot deal with your query - please refer to..." or something.

Are you guys (mods) meant to be approachable by any member for any reason, or was the job description simply to keep the forum under control and free from spammers, trolls and assholes? If it's the former, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to make yourselves known a little bit more, to the degree that a newbie can feel safe in the knowledge that you are more than willing to help out on a personal level.

I don't know if that's exactly what we're discussing here, I just got the impression that it was.

F

FullMetal

You wanted to meet them!

(CUE THE MUSIC!)

adisc1.jpg

Meet Moo Adiscer...

adisc2.jpg

His boy, Charlie...

adisc3.jpg

Daughter Martin...

adisc4.jpg

Peachy, his wife!

adisc5.jpg

do do do do do do do do do do do do do!

Oh, and every other staff member fits into this category...

photoastro5jpeg.jpg

FullMetal

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Are you guys (mods) meant to be approachable by any member for any reason, or was the job description simply to keep the forum under control and free from spammers, trolls and assholes? If it's the former, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to make yourselves known a little bit more, to the degree that a newbie can feel safe in the knowledge that you are more than willing to help out on a personal level.

I always thought we were pretty approachable. Most of use are in the IRC regularly, and we do post on the forums, in the discussions, a fair bit. After all, we're not only moderators - primarily, we're members of this forum just like everyone else. We should and do enjoy ourselves as much as any other member.

Peachy

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I posted a greeting thread, and put a link in my signature.

But I agree with Peachy, I've always thought that we were approachable. I'm always posting and blogging and stuff, it's not like I'm a mysterious stranger.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I always thought we were pretty approachable. Most of use are in the IRC regularly, and we do post on the forums, in the discussions, a fair bit. After all, we're not only moderators - primarily, we're members of this forum just like everyone else. We should and do enjoy ourselves as much as any other member.

Peachy

Well I have never hesitated to approach mods about mod issues... But getting to know you guys has many benefits. First of all it reminds us that you are only human, with likes, dislikes, foibles, quirks, strengths and sometimes prone to human error. Knowing your human side helps us feel like you are one of us, not suit-wearing office-bound managers on the top floor where my elevator card won't allow me to go. And it dispells the idea that you are simply mod-bots who edit titles, move threads, ban people and do coding; though it has been stated and restated that there is an open-door policy, it is the actual interaction on the forums, in chat, and elsewhere, especially one-on-one, that will make people not afraid to use the open door.

Note: Yes, you in particular, Peach, are active in chat and we have a feel for who you are through that. Bear in mind that newbies don't know anyone the way those of us with a history on the forums might, so keeping up with the interaction helps incomers feel they can talk to the staff, and not only on mod-related issues. Especially the many of them who don't go into IRC. I note that I have a better familarity with Peach than some of the other mods whose presence and contribution is less visible, though no less important.

EDIT back to the closed part/open part idea:

Last edited:

Peachy

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
Note: Yes, you in particular, Peach, are active in chat and we have a feel for who you are through that. Bear in mind that newbies don't know anyone the way those of us with a history on the forums might, so keeping up with the interaction helps incomers feel they can talk to the staff, and not only on mod-related issues.

Well, I cannot possibly squeeze any more forum interaction into my day. I feel I'm verging on the edge of too much, when you consider that we get like 100-150 threads with new messages a day, and probably like 500 new messages. I can't read all that, and by the time I've skimmed through all that to look for any violations or problems, I don't have the time to respond to enough threads to really make myself known to everyone, especially those people who mostly frequent the Stories, Roleplay, Fun/Games or Computer-forums. It's a shame I can't take part in some of the discussions that seem interesting, but by the time I get there, they usually have 100 posts in them...too much for me to read.
If people feel that the mods/admins don't post enough, it's mostly because they're busy with admin stuff and of course real life to get any more interaction out of the forum in any given day. It's one of the disadvantages of a forum the size of ADISC.

Peachy

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Actually I was trying to say that with your high level of interaction, especially @IRC, that you are the mod I feel I know best as a person, and that interaction, whether in the form of posts or chat or blogging, or other, is to be commended and that it is good to keep it up.

Role
  1. Private
Well, I cannot possibly squeeze any more forum interaction into my day. I feel I'm verging on the edge of too much, when you consider that we get like 100-150 threads with new messages a day, and probably like 500 new messages. I can't read all that, and by the time I've skimmed through all that to look for any violations or problems, I don't have the time to respond to enough threads to really make myself known to everyone, especially those people who mostly frequent the Stories, Roleplay, Fun/Games or Computer-forums. It's a shame I can't take part in some of the discussions that seem interesting, but by the time I get there, they usually have 100 posts in them...too much for me to read.
If people feel that the mods/admins don't post enough, it's mostly because they're busy with admin stuff and of course real life to get any more interaction out of the forum in any given day. It's one of the disadvantages of a forum the size of ADISC.

Peachy

Precisely. And hopefully all that may be automated is; putting man-hours on tasks that can be delegated to software doesn't help anyone.

In short, I see this as a "natural" kind of tension between your hat as a staff member and your hat as a forum member. Too much time spent in either role will not bode well, and one way of relieving this tension is through automation where possible*.
:twocents:

*Bear in mind, I am a proponent of BPR (Business Process Reengineering) where technically and culturally feasible, so I would think along these lines.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other

Peachy

Peachy, I really think what you said makes an excellent case for a few more mods on ADISC. I can detect a definite measure of frustration in your reply. It's not much fun when you have to spend so much of your allotted forum time doing police work before you can do the *fun* stuff like participating in the discussions. You're an asset to ADISC and I wouldn't want you to get frustrated to the point you felt the need to leave here for awhile for your own well being. This goes for all of the staff.

As I've mentioned before, I belong to some other groups (not *B related), a few of which I'm a moderator on. Your comments reminded me of a situation on one group in particular. The group, as it grew larger, was getting bombarded by pages of spam messages, some of which were VERY inappropriate, and the owner had no mods appointed ever since the group's creation a few years before. She was a wife and mom of two children and obviously had a life besides her group, just as the mods and staff here have lives outside ADISC. She had limited time to spend on her group just as you all do and, wanting to keep her group decent, had to spend a lot of it cleaning up the board when logging on before she could participate in the more enjoyable group discussions. As time went on and the group population continued to increase, the spam problem kept getting worse. Newbie spammers seemed to know when to jump in right after she would logoff for the night. So, I suggested to her that she appoint some mods located in other time zones to help control spam, that way when she would come on she had more time to enjoy being there instead of having to clean up the all the accumulated mess since the last time she was on. At first she was reluctant, she wanted to continue to handle everything herself, but after giving it more thought changed her mind. She appointed me and two other trusted members to handle spam problems. Now, when she comes on the board is pretty clean and she has much more time to really enjoy the time available for her group.

Similarly, if so much time is required to *police* the forums such that the current staff doesn't feel they have the time available to enjoy being on ADISC as they would like to have, sounds to me it's time to add a few more trusted mods to spread out and lighten the load. With ADISC's worldwide membership it shouldn't be hard to find a few more trusted members in different time zones, so that the chore of keeping ADISC clean and decent is spread out evenly around the clock. Then all the staff will have more time to enjoy the *fun* participations in the time they have available in their lives, and ADISC membership as a whole will enjoy having more interaction with the staff.

Just my take on the situation...

And for the record, I'm not campaigning for a mod position. I've always felt ADISC staff should be made up of mature members more in the median age range of the forums, not at the upper extreme age range where I'm at. Plus, I've got my hands full on the other groups I act as moderator on.:sweatdrop:

~Pramrider

Status
Not open for further replies.