• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

media players for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
What do you use to store and play music on you linux pc

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Video? - VLC - Works without any hassels most of the time. And I like it on my windows machine too!
Sound engine? XINE - I forget the other one, there are two main ones or I'm barking made. But That's the one I pick. But never really had hassels with either of them TBH.
Music Library? Amarok. - A few nice features and very easy to use for my needs.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
I for one like Banshee. It's a *great* music app, and has support for like, every format (as long as you have the codecs installed).

I tend to use Banshee for that, VNC for videos, and OSS (Open Sound System) as my sound engine.

I use GNOME, and I don't care for using non-native environment software (and I'm NOT a fan of KDE!) so I don't use AmaroK.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
Amarok, hands down. I'd personally recommend version 1.4 though, as 2.0 isn't very mature yet. Amarok is definitely worth the extra RAM required by the KDE runtime IMHO. (Disclaimer: I'm biased. I wrote a very feature-laden script for it and know a couple of the devs :p)

--Danny :ninja:

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I personally love mplayer with libmad and pulse audio. I find it gets good quality, plays just about everything, and no GUI getting in the way (although it does have GUI frontends).

For more playlist-oriented type things I'll use Amarok which also has some pretty cool features.

And for DVDs I use Xine because mplayer's DVD navigation is fail.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
As much as I love iTunes, after using Banshee, iTunes' playback sounds like complete shit. Banshee sounds way more crisp, *plays FLAC*, and has a better thump.

iTunes? Not so much. Unfortunately, the only Linux box I have now is Warpig -- which is an 800MHz PIII with 384MB of RAM -- and no Sound device D=. So I'm stuck with iTunes (and all of its sexy, iPod-compatible glory -- but at what cost!).

paddedhawk

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I use Rhythmbox, the layout is similar to itunes which is nice after using itunes for so long.

kapi

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I use Sonata and ncmpcpp as frontends for the music player deamon, which handels playing and the music library. For all other media including soundfiles not in my library I use mplayer.
All other players got way too much dependencies. :>
And VLC now uses qt unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.