McDonalds Supporting Gays? BOYCOTT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Think Progress » American Family Association Launches Boycott Against McDonald’s For ‘Promoting The Homosexual Agenda’
McDonald's "gay support" issue - Dave's Dispatch - Blog on Chain Leader
American Family Association Launches Boycott Against McDonald’s For ‘Promoting The Homosexual Agenda’
Oh sweet merciful christ. It's the AFA again and they're ready to boycott something else.

I applaud McDonalds for joining the board of the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, even if it's only for the money and good press. But whatever. If this is "agressivly" supporting the gay agenda (as well as gay marriage), then so be it.

AFA President Donald Wildmon said the situation is “strange” because “it’s the family that McDonald’s appeals to — children’s playland, you know, all the little toys, all of that. And they are promoting a lifestyle that would utterly destroy the traditional family."
Oh no! Not the traditional family! The traditional family is always under attack by those awfull, awfull homosexuals.

WAKE UP people. There never was and never will be a traditional family, Your silly "traditional" family is what's known as the nuclear family, and it's only been around since the 40's. And it's dying (divorce rates in N. America are 55%). Family types have been as diverse as the people living on this planet and monogamy is hardly the most popular.

We treat our employees and our customers with respect and dignity, regardless of their ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other factors.
Go Mcdonalds!

AFA has a long history of silly, offensive boycotts against, among others, Wal-Mart (for selling “Brokeback Mountain” DVDs), Ford Motor Company (for advertising in gay-friendly publications), and the American Girl dolls (because the maker contributed to a youth organization that was pro-choice and supported the acceptance of lesbians). In 2005, it called off its unsuccessful nine-year boycott of Disney (for its “embrace of the homosexual lifestyle“).
Did you know if you take the 'a' and the 'diversi' out of 'diversification it spells 'fiction'?

Here's a comment on the second article:
The people who believe that "it's no big deal", I've got news for ya. It is. Because it goes against all moral values. Maybe not yours but that's because some people have let themselves be suctioned into the way the world is today and that is very sad. All I can say is they might want to think again because if they're not ready when the Lord comes back then they will regret not re-thinking the way they should be living their lives.
Wow. Not just some moral values, but all. Thank god that accepting others for who they are isn't a moral value. I'll make sure to give Jesus a nice backrub when he gets here so that he'll be nice and ready to kick some homosexual ass. There's a lot of em too. I can do this without guilt because I know that God clearly gave them a choice to choose to be gay or not and face public persecution from overbearing religious types not to mention the amount of discrimination some people show towards them. What a package. You get to be gay and you can piss a whole lot of people off!

I like how this guy said it:
I've come to realize any group with "family" in their name is either completely full of shit or has nothing at all to do with families.
I think this is the only thing from McDonalds that agreed with me.

Last edited:

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I could care less what McDonald's supports or doesn't support...And I could care less what the AFA supports or doesn't support...I will say that I guess it's good for McDonald's to do this, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was an attempt to make money...I don't like the AFA though...They are too close minded

Role
Private
Heaven forbid McDonalds supports homosexuals! Hell, while they're at it why don't they shut down all their Halal stores as well, or limit the dress-code to Smart Casual Attire!

Bloody hell, it's groups like the AFA that ruin progress for society. In the past, many developments or ideas that have changed the world for the better have been met with strict criticism from those who wish to preserve the "old, traditional way of life". But what is the old, traditional way of life? I think that concept has lost all it's meaning nowadays. There is no longer the "nuclear family" that was ever-present in old TV-shows. Today we have single parents, grandparents looking after the kids, extended family's, half/step-brothers/sisters, homosexual couples, life partners, etc.... all these combinations of what can constitute a family, all these combinations that are a perfectly acceptable way to live.

For the AFA to want to boycott McDonalds simply because the company wishes to support a Gay & Lesbian group is outrageous, not to mention outrageously retarded. I don't see what they are so afraid of, or rather what they think homosexuals are going to do to them. Having faulted their "traditional family values" argument, then what do they have to lean on to support their argument. Who are they to tell us what is the correct way of living life and what isn't? Who are they to undermine our values, our morals, ethics and beliefs and then force their ideals down our throats while? It's unfortunate that we are a society that wishes to move into a brighter future, yet we always seem to make the journey with baggage from our past.

This is a new age we're living in and having that conservative nature just isn't going to work out. With all the alternative lifestyle possibilities nowadays, any major company would be crazy to restrict access or services to some people. It's funny that - you always hear about people complaining that they've been ostracised because of their race, gender, sexuality or other factors, yet we have groups like the AFA who wish to promote that marginalisation, YET AT THE SAME TIME act like it's no big deal. The fact is, if the shunning of one person can spark an news report, then imagine what the shunning of a whole group can do. It's like racism or sexism against gay people - values which, ironically, pertain to the "traditional" way of thinking. It's clear that these people are simply living in the past and have ideals that haven't progressed since the days of the KKK.

So I guess it's clear that I support McDonalds in this one. Whilst they might make some pretty shitty food, I cannot deny they they have both resources and power to give grand support to charities, groups or organisations. That goes hand-in-hand with being an equal-opportunity employer as well as a profit-making business. Regardless of the reason McDonalds are really supporting this G&L Organisation, at the end of the day, they are still a business and still need profits to stay afloat. Any negative backlash could easily ruin their image (especially with the prominence of homosexuality nowadays), and hence, they could very well slump in profits. It's just business, folks!

TallestBabyEver

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
*pauses mid-bite of his double quarter-pounder*

wow..........cool

*mushes more fries into his mouth*

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
Of course they should be doing that. There is obviously an evil, evil gay mafia trying to destroy everything good about the world, and be evil and stuff. How dare anyone say anything good about people who are different then us omgwtfbbq. This is blasphemy and madness.
(Sarcasm, if you can't tell.)

There will always be some uber-intolerant group that wants to purge the world of all things icky. AFA, WBC, and stuff like that. I don't want to say anything like it, but a lot of them use religion as their main reason. >.>

But as long as they're not like bombing places or hurting people or anything, they can say whatever they want. Gives other people stuff to laugh at. n.n

fifigal

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Little
Are these fundamentalist groups everywhere?

This brought to mind a thought I had awhile ago.I was reading Kraiden's post about the 80's and Humphrey B. Bear,there was a link to a Wikipedia entry about Humphrey.The entry said that the main criticisms of Humphrey were,1;He does not wear pants and 2;He does not talk.I was going to ask Kraiden if the Australian media makes such a circus of these kinds of issues as they do in the States.I remember that just a few short years ago it was the Telli-tubbies children's show that was going to "convert" America's children into homosexuals because one of the male chacters on the show carried a purse.This was a topic of discussion on news talkshows for weeks.Does every country have these wacked-out,fundamentalist groups?

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
[email protected] Gay Mafia... they don't just whack a guy, they whack OFF a guy :p

On the topic at hand, I don't have much to say....I mean, whatever happened to "be a good person", "don't hurt others" and just general happiness? Isn't that what the (well, my perceived) interpretation of all this religious stuff is? Extreme(or fundamentalist...) anything (muslim, christian...whatever..) is bad. Extreme views are just that...extreme.

I think the best thing for people to do in this situation is walk over to their local Mickey D's, buy a Big Mac, and eat that disgusting lump of crap...I think McDonald's has earned it :p

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
It's nice that they are supporting gays but they are lying because all they want is the press and the money they don't care about gays at all.

Vaultin

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
If I am ever in the same city as James Dobson, I'm going to make it my personal mission to hunt him down and beat him senseless. The man is evil.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
If I am ever in the same city as James Dobson, I'm going to make it my personal mission to hunt him down and beat him senseless. The man is evil.
dude you must be forgetting about Fred Phelps or whatever the idiot's name is. The ones who's gorup is always protesting out side of a US Army funeral.

X

xdeadx

This is really.... Hmm... I'm just gonna say weird DX Not in a bad way but a funny way.

Troll Speak Translation: EPIC LULZ

On a side note, w00t for losing VIP status!

EDIT: or not...

Last edited:

Samaki

Contributor
Role
EPIC FACEPALM

LOL thats great, I can't believe they didn't edit it lol.

And I can't believe anyone would boycot a place just because it supports gay rights. You know this is the first time I've ever said this and probably my last but GO MCDONALDS!!!!! WOOT!!!!!

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
There's a big difference between "supporting gays" and simply having employee policies of tolerating them. This is where the AFA is wrong.

Let me come out right in the open with something right now: my family has long been in support of the AFA boycotts. We didn't buy anything Disney-related for about 10 years because of their boycott, though I believe the boycott was related to Eisner's choices of video productions rather than Disney's support of homosexual organizations.

Yes, I am a Christian and I have a personal belief that homosexuality is wrong for a variety of reasons that I'm not going into. That's my personal stance. But it doesn't mean that I hate all gay people. If you do something to make me hate you, I'll probably hate you no matter what your sexual orientation is. And if you're a good friend of mine but you're gay, I'll probably eventually bring up the topic of religion and if you're not interested or are perfectly happy with your current standing and don't wish to hear anymore of me, I won't bug you about it anymore. After all, being a Christian (or part of any other religion/faith) is a personal choice, so why try to force people to make it? I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the difference between the stereotypical Christian and the way a Christian really should act. If the world's at fault, then we sure as hell ain't no better a lot of the time.

That out of the way, I have a hard time believing that everything that AFA says is right. I think what they conveniently leave out is that big companies like that tend to sponsor anyone that asks for money and put on a show of enthusiasm because they have one person on their board that is part of that organization, whatever the organization may be. I remember going to this "Asian" festival a couple years ago because my little sister's adopted from China. Guess who the big sponsor was? McDonald's... with their huge "i am... asian" [sic] banners all over the place.

Yeah, the AFA dudes have a valid point. But they blow it WAY out of proportion. And I doubt that they're doing anything that Christians are actually supposed to do, such as actually witnessing to the folks at McDonalds. I try to ask myself, "if Jesus were working for the AFA, what would he do?" and I can't rightly answer that, but I'm sure it wouldn't be an outright "NEVER BUY FROM McD's THEY'RE EVIL" type message.

Broadening things a bit, here's my stance on legalizing homosexual marriages in the USA. If it happens, then gay people will be getting married all over the place. How is it any different from what's going on right now, except for the fact that it's being recognized legally as a marriage? If Christians want to take down homosexuality, go for the root and not for the political crap.

And the thing that really pisses me off? Dobson hates McCain just because he doesn't give a damn about gay marriage. McCain's not even in support of it. He just doesn't really care. And Dobson outright hates him. What does that make Barack "Mr. Diversity" Obama then? The Antichrist? Sheesh. (Thanks to Samaki in IRC for the link.)

I'm not necessarily condoning McDonalds here. I guess what I really care about is their real underlying attitude about it, and since I don't know that I can't say anything one way or the other for sure. If they're doing it because one person on the board convinced them all to sponsor the Gay Pride parade and the rest don't care, then why does the AFA give a f#ck? OTOH, if their entire board and company policy actively push for that kind of stuff then I think it's pretty extreme for support of a minority group. I'd say that if their policy was overly biased towards Christians (or any other group) too.

--Danny :ninja:

Samaki

Contributor
Role
Danny you are my view of the perfect religious believer, I only know one person in RL who is anything like you, shes nice and kind, and when I asked her her opinion on homosexuality, her answer was: "It's against my religion but, it's not really my right to tell someone what they can or cannot be, they want to be gay or lesbian? That's fine with me."

She is a very good friend of mine, and she's awesome, she doesn't know about me of course but she's still awesome.

I don't get how anyone could hate someone for just being who they are, sure they can think "WOAH thats really weird" but I don't understand how you can hate them without actually getting to know them, I only really hate meh 4 people, I dislike MANY MANY MANY people, but I don't hate them.

Personally I think that if there is some sort of high being, maybe even a god, then that god created me the way I am for a purpose, and I'm glad he did I wouldn't have it any other way, even though I may have to go through many hard times I still love being who I am. My main thought for the purpose of having gays is maybe god or this higher being thought that the world was getting to overpopulated or something and just decided the best way to lower the population was to make gays and lesbians.

Personally I think some girls are pretty and nice, but I don't go for body very much, I mainly go for personality, but guess what, the best person for me would be someone who is strong, confident and is kind and caring, I don't think I could get a girl like that, unless it is one of those body building girls, which I know I said I don't go for body, but I also included VERY MUCH, which I'm sorry but that is just one of those VERY MUCH situations...

F

FullMetal

I love when people say things like:

"They are doing it for the money, f*** them!"

Wow...they are assholes for doing it only for the money, but the outcome is still all the same. It goes back to my global warming agenda. If global warming is true, then all is well. If it isn't and we still take the measures to prevent global warming or stop pollution, it will still be helping the planet.

On another note though. I do not think that companies should be pro or against something. They are companies... They already have a cause. It's called making money and selling their product, I do not see where any of this other stuff comes in. If they like gays, will the burgers become gay or something? Will the people who eat them become gay? Maybe so, but it just seems like people like to stir up the chocolate milk when it has already been properly shaken. (I am going to TM that analogy...Yes, I did just make it up.)

On another note...it would be funny if people turned gay from eating McDonalds...Then like more than 3/4ths of America would be so flaming...

One more note! Raise your hand if you miss my banters?

FullMetal

whitefox

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Other
My view on the issue about AFA (President?) Donald E. Wildmon is summed up by the first comment, which made me laugh several times before looking at the others: "what an asshat". Seriously, however, I think he has an extreme (either radical or conservative, depending on how you look at it) view on the "issue". Because of that, his view, and that of his association are severely biased.

On that note, I believe that our views are a bit biased as well (honestly, everyone's view is biased in some way). We tend to be a bit more radical than other groups, most likely because of our common relation and open-mindedness. I think that is why most people here would agree with what McDonald's did. Of course, this AFA is definitely against gays and lesbians, as members were 'alerted' that McDonald's was 'aggressively supporting a gay agenda'.

Anyways, I support McDonald's decision nonetheless, although I wouldn't have known (or really cared) about it had the AFA not been involved, and had you, Prometheus, not linked this article because of that. My opinion is that gay people don't have a choice to be gay (and even if not so), it would be very difficult, if not impossible for them to physically, mentally, or even spiritually become straight. I believe in this just like with (and because of) transsexuals. It seems like they don't have a choice in the matter either of deciding who they are, and it would be wrong to criticize them because of that. But that's enough about my views, those don't really matter in this discussion.

Note the last comment there, as I found it quite intriguing, and would like to tear it apart, if I may:

"me" said:
Get ready McDonald's. You can do whatever you want. But if you choose to ignore the wishes of the people who value what the Bible says about families, you will see your company go the same way as Ford Motor Company. Maybe you should change your name to Humpty Dumpty's.
This person is obviously referencing the boycotts made by the AFA. This is a valid point, these boycotts existed. However, McDonald's is not going to "go the same way as Ford Motor Company", simply because people are still going to be hungry! The company (Mickey D's) has managed pretty well so far. The main reason Ford is losing money is because of the gas prices. Their F150 used a fair amount of gas, and when the prices in America hit above $3.00 (remember that?), the trade-off once accepted for the gas mileage on the truck faded away. It had relatively nothing to do with the AFA's boycott. Doing that to McDonald's would result in the same effect: overall, absolutely nothing. Look at Disney or American Girl, or Wal-Mart (yes, I got those three from the first post). They're not going out of business, or are even close. Is the AFA going to make any impact by not eating at McDonald's? No! The main concern of the fast-food company should be the stereotypical health-nuts. Without even delving into 'the Bible' aspect of it, this person is 95-100% certified wrong.

There were thoughtful comments posted there as well, though. The one posted on July 1st, whether or not you agree with it, appears to be fairly well thought out, by somebody (if not the original commenter), anyways.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Meh.
It's barely worth discussing. These people shouldn't get into the news, they should just be ignored.
America is weird.

Hehe, "Tyson Homosexual". :D

G

gamebaby

Well supporting gay is just another step for all the other weird things we like to do. maby someday they will suport us if we are lucky.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Lol...a while ago, you used to get media attention for supporting gays. Nowadays, you get (negative) media attention for not supporting them. It's like writing "We protect the environment" into your firm strategy...it's common practice now, so people expect you to do it and move on.

Also, where do all those people with totally screwed up opinions about other people come from? Since when do they have any right to interfere with someone else's business. I hope that generation will die out soon!

Peachy

Status
Not open for further replies.