• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Matress protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHHS

Moderated
Role
Private
What can be used as matress protection(how can u make your own matress protection)?

Crinkly

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Ideally, something like one of these. They're waterproof, and still thin. You can get similar things at retail stores that sell bedding.

I'd recommend a waterproof mattress pad regardless of whether a person wears diapers or not, because it also prevents other things like body oils and sweat from getting into the mattress. And if you even drink in bed, it would also protect against any accidentally spilled liquids. Drinking and sleeping is still legal, as far as I know. :smile:

As far as making your own, you could try a sheet of plastic directly on top of the mattress, with a regular mattress pad on top, beneath the sheets. You'll want to make sure the plastic doesn't get dislodged over time, so you may have to check and reposition it from time to time.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
A shower curtian makes an easy to get waterproof mattress cover. You will need a pad or several sheets over it or it will be hot & sticky. I now have a waterproof mattress pad from Wallyworld but have to keep a regular one over it so its confortable.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
When I wet the bed, I had one that lasted a really long time. It did have a crinkling type sound, but I grew used to it. I have no clue where I got it though. I'm sure now they have much quieter ones.

Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
As well a thin tarp of some kind, with an elasticated mattress cover to hold it in place makes for a cheap fix. Tarps can be purchased in many different lengths and widths and are widely available.

S

secretdl26

I don't use a plastic covering but my mattress came with a liquid-resistant coating over the cloth outside on one side. Haven't wet the bed (to the point beyond which my diaper could hold it) so I don't know if it is really effective or not.

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
In my experience currently the most comfortable mattress protector is also the most effective.

Go to the website for Secure Products, makers of adult disposables, then scroll to bedding.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
any piece of water-proof material really. when i was bedwetting, my dad got some industrial plastic bags for my bed; they were very thick and noisy.
i've used the Pampers' bed-mats and found them to be okay plus, it saves having to launder your sheets.

Role
Incontinent
I sleep, (yeah, right, if you can call it that), in a recliner because of my back, and when I first started to have to wear diapers, I would use a regular mattress pad. After peeing on my chair a few times because the disposable diapers, Depends, leaked, my wife bought me a couple of the normal mattress pads to protect the chair with.

Now that I've switched to using thick cloth diapers and plastic pants, I don't have any leaks anymore, and I've been able to do away with the pads.

But you can make one out of a trash bag if you need one in a hurry. It's cheap, but effective.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
They actually make waterproof mattress covers that are almost exactly like the non-waterproof ones. To the naked eye they are exactly the same, not plasticy at all, but will provide the protection of your mattress in a pinch. The downside is that if you do wet the bed, you will need to wash the cover as well as your sheets, but your mattress will remain dry. That's what I use on my bed, since it's quite rare that I'd leak through to the mattress, but it has happened, and I want my mattress to stay dry. They sell them at wal-mart, in case you were wondering where I got it.

dangermouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've used waterproof sheets together with an absorbent mattress protector layer on top.

However I have recently discovered the wonders of Pampers Bed Mats!

Thing with the sheet and washable protector is you need to wash them frequently. The bed mats are disposable, but more than that the absorbent material can absorb and lock away small leaks and be okay to re-use another day. And mainly it's just small leaks that need catching. If you don't have a leak then it's also re-usable. A pack of bed mats can last quite a while then.

PHHS

Moderated
Role
Private
i should add that i can't buy a matress protector because of my parents not knowing and there is no place in walking distance. So what could i use to make my own?

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
A shower curtain sounds like the easiest and maybe cheapest solution. Puppy pads may or may not be big enough, considering that you move around a lot during your sleep. Supermarkets sell these (but look at the size before you buy, and get the biggest ones).

Plastic wrap won't work, it is too thin and bunches up too easily. It's impractical to wrap it around the mattress, but I guess this would work as a last resort.

PHHS

Moderated
Role
Private
that is another problem, i don't have a shower curtain, any other ideas

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm not sure why you can't buy a shower curtain, the vinyl ones are seriously like $3 at Walmart. Other than that, maybe some trash bags, but aside from that there's not much else. If you can get to wal mart, might as well get the actual mattress protector, to the naked eye, some of them are indistinguishable from regular ones.

Crinkly

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
...I have recently discovered the wonders of Pampers Bed Mats!

...The bed mats are disposable, but more than that the absorbent material can absorb and lock away small leaks and be okay to re-use another day. And mainly it's just small leaks that need catching. If you don't have a leak then it's also re-usable. A pack of bed mats can last quite a while then.
Does anyone know if and where these are available in the US? I haven't been able to find them at stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.