Making Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I would have posted here http://www.adisc.org/forum/mature-topics/4207-discrimination-against-fat-people.html but it was a little too late and it was locked. Seems there has been a new development on the subject in Canada: Disabled, obese allowed free extra plane seat .

Not much comment on this except to wonder how it will work as a practical matter. What if the plane is fully booked? If the testing method is based on someone sitting down and trying to lower the armrest, one might not know for sure ahead of time. Oddly, I haven't noted any accomodations offered for people who are very tall, which is definitely something beyond a person's control.

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
I concur and agree with whatever that which is you are saying...

MarcusBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur, , Carer
This is retarded, people shouldn't treat being obese like a disability people need to accommodate. We need wheelchair ramps because people in wheelchairs can't walk, no matter how hard they try. Any obese person could lose weight if they tried. While genetics might make it more or less difficult it is still possible for anyone if they tried at all. There are medical requirements to qualify as obese now. You can't just legislate this without sufficient criteria

Does an anorexic person only have to pay for half a seat?

Maybe they should get a free extra meal too since we're encouraging an unhealthy lifestyle

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Wouldn't you think they would be better off to have a section with wider seats, rather than to lose a seat. I think it's political correctness gone arigh. (or however you spell that word!)

MarcusBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Wouldn't you think they would be better off to have a section with wider seats
Which, in my opinion, should only be available to those with legitimate medical documentation.

We shouldn't adapt to people who choose to become grotesquely overweight. Pay up or shut up

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Pretty stupid, but you already know my opinion from that old thread.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Well some people do have a thyroid problem so I can feel for them. However most overweight people are overweight due to their own habits. If it takes two seats to make them feel comfortable then make them pay two seats, if it takes two seats to even sit them down then make them pay for both seats.

I am about 5/11 at 135-140 pounds. Can I pay half since I am a human pencil and take up twice as less space and twice as less weight if not more then the people next to me?

BromeTeks

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I think that it is a bit nut's becuase the airline is losing a seat for the large folks, and it is mostly due to their own habits.

Eulogy

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Overlooking the key issue here, Yes, it probably is their fault, but they can't just lose 300 lbs before they get on a plane...so i guess accommodations must be made(Not saying they're right in having bad habits, just saying that they are in a sense, disabled;To a lesser degree)

Plus, its Air Canada and West Jet...i think anyone who as flown on either one will agree that they need to be punished(God awful flights)

MarcusBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Overlooking the key issue here, Yes, it probably is their fault, but they can't just lose 300 lbs before they get on a plane...so i guess accommodations must be made
Which they should pay for

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If the testing method is based on someone sitting down and trying to lower the armrest, one might not know for sure ahead of time.
maybe you should be obliged to measure your hindquarters when you're buying a plane ticket and supply the dimensions to the airline company to see if an extra seat will be required. :D

arigh. (or however you spell that word!)
that's one of my favorite adverbs, and it's spelled "awry." my all-time favorite adverb would probably be "askew." or possible "athwart."

Last edited:
Role
Private
I just think it's complete bullshit that obese people are getting a free seat just so they can be accommodated. One thing I've always loathed in life is when people get privileges and eligibilities for something that is usually against the grain of society, let alone it being detrimental to our health and wellbeing as well as being proven to be totally unhealthy. By giving a free extra seat to someone who's overweight is doing nothing more than promoting it as an acceptable lifestyle and encouraging obesity, which countless medical studies and reports have proven is an insalubrious way to live. Of course people are going to continue their habits when they are being rewarded and "made special" because of them.

Why shouldn't they have to pay for an extra seat? They made the decision to live their lives without care to what they were putting in their bodies, they should have to suffer the consequences of that. Why should we support their decision to find peace in an early grave? The way I see it, it's about as illogical (and lacking even more the common sense department) as rewarding a rehabilitated drug junkie with a heroin-user starter kit. Oh sure, they could bitch and complain that's it's all "genetics" and that they "tried everything", but that means fucking squat when they are shoving another cream-bun in their face, whilst being freely handed the privileged of special accommodation for being a total sad-case.

I say, remove the motivations to continue living such an abhorrent lifestyle and replace them with more proactive solutions to the problem. Instead of giving a free extra seat and masking the problem, why not spend the money they should have to pay for the extra seat serving healthier options on the plane, or supporting a campaign that tackles the obesity crisis?

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I think the price of your ticket should be calculated as a linear function of
- your weight
- the size of your butt (in case you're some muscular skinny-ass bitch :tongueout:)
- meal requirements
- weight of your baggage.
- intended alcohol consumption

There should be discounts for:
- physically disabled people
- people with my legal name :D

In other words: If you require two seats, eat half the on-board supply of food and get plastered, you're gonna pay for it!

Peachy

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
I say if your ass is so fat that you cant sit in a single seat, you can stand. You need to burn the calories.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Wouldn't you think they would be better off to have a section with wider seats, rather than to lose a seat. I think it's political correctness gone arigh. (or however you spell that word!)
They do, it's called first class. If people who refuse to control their weight want to fly, they can pay the premium.

E

Error404

I'd say the embarrassment of having to HAVE two seats is quite punishment enough.

But I do agree, they should have to pay.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
I'd say the embarrassment of having to HAVE two seats is quite punishment enough.

But I do agree, they should have to pay.
I agree too. The thing about this is that some of them really can't help it, just like I can't with my IC. But a lot of them can, and I really wish that they would take some control of their lives and do something about it...even just losing a little would make a big difference!

Regardless, this is what it is, and the embarrassment of having two seats would do it for me, too.

Role
Adult Baby
Overlooking the key issue here, Yes, it probably is their fault, but they can't just lose 300 lbs before they get on a plane...so i guess accommodations must be made(Not saying they're right in having bad habits, just saying that they are in a sense, disabled;To a lesser degree)

Plus, its Air Canada and West Jet...i think anyone who as flown on either one will agree that they need to be punished(God awful flights)
Right :-/

I'm epileptic and rely on crutches and a wheelchair to get around; I consider the suggestion that someone who has eaten too much too be disabled to be offensive.

They may not be able to lose 300 lbs 'at a drop of a hat' but they *could* lose it! I can't lose photosensitive epilepsy or lower limb mobility impairments, no matter how hard I try - oh and at least if I "lost" the epilepsy i'd be able to drive, so i'm not against trying either!

Also, "lesser" disability? I'd disagree with that statement; how are you to quantify what a lesser disability is?

Status
Not open for further replies.