• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Mac vs Windows

Windows OS or Mac OS

• Windows

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Mac

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Ok so I was looking around on ebay when I came across a ibook. It got me thinking. Why do so many people not like the Mac OS? What makes Windows OS so much better? (Vice-versa). I have never really got to play with a Mac, so I dont know.

Wegs

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm a windows fan. I can't stand the Macs interface, probably because I've grown up with Windows.

Goose

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Well, there's a few things, I won't go too in depth over this. Okay, I will.

First of all, Macs make their own computer hardware. Windows doesn't. Which means Mac OS is built to run on specialized hardware, usually not top of the line since it takes a while for Mac to release a new computer model. Whereas PC is meant to be run on any computer hardware setup, which means that the hardware can very well be top of the line (or not, but that's based on the user).

I'm a much bigger PC fan. Sure Mac has a few things that make it more appealing to some, but I think the disadvantages (years of software development by a huge array of people) and less customizability make it much less appealing.

Anon E. Mouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Gaming. PC's have more of it. Much more. That's I guess the only reason I won't go Mac. They do actually have lots of popular games on it though. I know WoW and City of Heroes are out for it, but most games aren't. If you aren't a computer gamer, or don't plan to be, then you should dis-regard this post.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
1. Can I play Team fortress 2 on a mac? No.
2. Can I play Crysis on a mac? No.
3. Can I play Mass Effect on a mac? No.
4. Can I play Burnout Paradise on a mac? No.
5. Can I play Half Life 2 and it's episodes on a mac? No.
6. Can I play AudioSurf on a mac? No.
7.Can I play Fallout 3 on a mac. No.
8. Can I play Oblivion on a mac? No.
9. Can I play UT3 on a mac? No.
10. Can I play GRID on a mac? No.
11. Can I play Left 4 Dead on a mac? No.

Do I need to list more reasons why I actually just can't use a mac without installing and dual-booting the freaking OS you buy a mac to avoid in the first place?

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You can play TF2 on a Mac. Someone here has done it. Macs are good, so are PCs. Macs tend to be used more for the high end video editing. Final Cut Pro is unmatched as far as professional video editing goes. I've used both Mac OSX, Windows Vista, 7, and several different Linux distros. Each OS has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I'll list a few of them out.

Mac - Excellent video editing software, good at other multimedia things
PC - Excellent at gaming and nub computer users
Linux - Excellent at servers and experienced users. I run a Arch Linux server and a desktop with it, it's the most customizable, but that's because I've used it since it was literally out lols.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
OMG LOL lyk I get dis cool thing claled a WINDOW I can drag it around and drop it and stuff. Also there is this thing called an interface. Or is it an interphase? Well I don't know but FIREFOX (WINDOWS ONLY I think( tells me that interphase isn't a word (WOW it did it again WAY TO GO WINDOWS) so I guess it's metaphase. Or prophase. Which I'm going through right now - I'm so good at Halo 3 that I cant even believe it. I can like blow people up with a bomb - it's pretty hard unless you're right behind them.

Where was I? Oh right. Macintosh sucks because you cant do anything on them. Like FUN STUFF I mean. Ever tried playing a game on Macintosh? Me neither! Unless you count minesweeper! LOL

P.S. Macintosh costs like $99999999999999999999999999999999 dollarz. Dont go there girlfriend.

I use PCs but that doesn't mean I prefer one OS over another. Anything that'll run my programs - and well - works for me. I would use OSX if I could play games without working around the impediment. I would use Linux (or what have you) if I could figure out what the hell a kernel is. Just kid just kid. I'm familiar with Windows, and so, until I finally decide to try out something new, I'll stick with it.

You'd do better looking elsewhere for a real debate on this issue.

Role
Private
Best tool for the job.

My development boxen: *BSD (Free|Open).
Gaming machine: Windows XP Professional (which has been down for about 7 months now).
Dissertation/Article/Presentation Machine: OS X 10.5.whatever (iBook).
Podcasting/Audio Scraping/CRON machine: OS X 10.5.whatever (Mac Mini).

I used to have a SunSPARC (the Pizza-Box machines) and an Amiga 1200, and I've worked with SGI and IBM equipment, all along the same lines: best tool for the job at hand.

One thing that surprised me about OS X and the Apple hardware that I bought to run it (iBook G4, mid-2005): I bought OS X specifically so that I could "just use" a computer and not dick with it. But I find myself doing things "The UNIX Way" via terminal, even now. I know there's a better way to do it with Apple tools and utilities. I am sure of it. But, even with better tools, old habits die hard. It took me until just last year or so to change my spacing habits in word processing, as I grew up typing on a typewriter.

Oh well.

B

Butterfly Mage

I'd have to say that *price* is the biggest barrier to me owning a Mac. Basically, a Mac *starts* at $1,300 and a heavily configured Mac runs for $2,000. By comparison, a basic Windows computer costs $300 and a heavily configured Windows computer goes for $1,200 or so.

But the stability of the Mac OS cannot be overstated. It just doesn't crash -- ever.

Ideally, if I had the money, I'd get a Mac with both operating systems installed (Mac OS for day-to-day computing and Windows on a secondary partition for gaming apps).

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Only if that Mac has Windows on it which just has to be a oxymoron.

Team Fortress 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know two people that work at Microsoft and they both own MacBook Pro's because of the hardware, but have Windows installed natively, no OSX on it or nothing. Macs have great hardware.

And $300 for a Windows PC? WTF? You're buying pre-built aren't you? I just got done building a budget rig for my family that only does Office, Music, Youtube, etc for $207. It's a Intel E2100 2ghz, 2gb RAM, 320gb HDD, 400W power supply unit, and a Centurion 5 case for $207. Granted, there's no gfx card, but the integrated graphics are enough for them for what they do. That's the cheapest computer I've ever built. And ANYONE can do it, it's not hard.

babibear

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
One thing that surprised me about OS X and the Apple hardware that I bought to run it (iBook G4, mid-2005): I bought OS X specifically so that I could "just use" a computer and not dick with it. But I find myself doing things "The UNIX Way" via terminal, even now. I know there's a better way to do it with Apple tools and utilities. I am sure of it. But, even with better tools, old habits die hard. It took me until just last year or so to change my spacing habits in word processing, as I grew up typing on a typewriter.

Oh well.
Heh, I do the same (though I'm sure your UNIX experience is greater most likely). My desktop which while the more powerful of my Macs also gets the most 'messed' with. My Macbook Pro doesn't get experimented with at all. I have an XP machine as well but it doesn't get used often since its ethernet driver just won't behave and it's not worth me spending hours troubleshooting it. Instead I have XP (And 7) on my Macbook Pro should they be needed.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
But the stability of the Mac OS cannot be overstated. It just doesn't crash -- ever.
They actually do crash, at least this has been said by the podcast editor for Radio Free Nintendo. Since well, it actually happened to him.

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
I won an IMAC in a contest a few years ago. I had to replace it 3 times with the applecare warranty because of hardware faults... First, logic board, second, harddrive, third was that the processor was DOA.

Well, I got my 3rd and final replacement from Apple and just gave up and sold the damn thing.

I had so many problems with them I vowed myself never oto get another one, even if I won it.

Now you know why i don't like apple products.

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
Lol, yeah except when OSX crashes it is called a "Kernel Panic" instead of a BSOD.

God I had so many of those.

LittleMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
They actually do crash, at least this has been said by the podcast editor for Radio Free Nintendo. Since well, it actually happened to him.
It's true. It happened to me.
I love Macs, I love the interface, I love the look, I love everything about it and I'm not a gamer, so it's not all that important for me to have a PC.

I think one of the biggest problem with Macs is that they are a lot more expensive. The only reason why I have a Macbook was because I'm a college student, so I got a discounted price on the laptop and a full rebate for an 8gb iPod.

But I have had my share of trouble with my Macbook. The first one I got ran great for about a week, then it stopped picking up wifi. So I called Apple Customer Service (another thing I like about Apple is their customer service), and finally I had to send my computer back in so they could send me a brand new one. The wifi hardware had been faulty.

A few months ago when I was home from school, my Macbook just up and crashed on me. I finally had to just reinstall the OS, but luckily, didn't have to reformat(?) the hard drive, so all my applications and pictures and junk were saved.

So no, Macs are not uncrashable.
But I still like them.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
Lol, yeah except when OSX crashes it is called a "Kernel Panic" instead of a BSOD.

God I had so many of those.
[font="Calibri,Arial"]Kernel panics are shared by all *X OSes, not just Mac OS X. Linux, BSD, Unix. I remember the IT Crowd had a Fedora Kernel Panic in its starting sequence.

My main reasons for not buying Macs are:

It's a BSD based OS, with a few extra Apple apps, and prettiness features. Other BSD OSes are free, and most are GPL.
My experience with Apple apps has not been positive. Either they are unable to write a good app, or unwilling to put any effort into their Windows versions. Either way, most of my use of iTunes, Safari etc, has left me fuming. If they can't write decent apps, how can I trust their OS?
It costs more $ than windows. (The actual OS may be cheaper, but the hardware is not).
Linux is free and has the same stability.
The culture of Apple fans disgusts me. I once asked for help with iTunes being a pig on an apple forum and was to told to
A fanboy said:
piss off and get a real OS
The other responses were more polite, but had the same general theme. They ignored the fact that every other company except Apple had no trouble getting their media player to be usable on windows.
Of all the big computer companies, Apple are the most restrictive.

[/font]

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
From my little experience with Macs... it's easy enough to get used to... plus they rarely ever get spyware or viruses... but I can't justify the cost of getting one. I'll stick with windows, thanks.

Gil

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
*rubs hands together*

First off, I HATE Mac OS X. I don't hate Mac, but I hate Mac OS X.

Try an OS 7-9 machine, and it's a helluva lot better. It's basically the same, but without all of the UNIX bullshit (I'm a big-time UNIX hater). Granted, OS 7-9 machines are only really good for word processing these days.

To all the gamers who say "OMG MAC SUCKS THERES NO GAMES!!!11", Macs were never intended for gaming. They are for serious multimedia professionals who do ... Multimedia. Audio, Music, Video, Graphics - Mac is ideal for you.

I could go on for days, but my brain is somewhat fried right now.

As much of a Windows hater as I am, I honestly don't think you can say one OS is better than the other.

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
*rubs hands together*

First off, I HATE Mac OS X. I don't hate Mac, but I hate Mac OS X.

Try an OS 7-9 machine, and it's a helluva lot better. It's basically the same, but without all of the UNIX bullshit (I'm a big-time UNIX hater). Granted, OS 7-9 machines are only really good for word processing these days.

To all the gamers who say "OMG MAC SUCKS THERES NO GAMES!!!11", Macs were never intended for gaming. They are for serious multimedia professionals who do ... Multimedia. Audio, Music, Video, Graphics - Mac is ideal for you.

I could go on for days, but my brain is somewhat fried right now.

As much of a Windows hater as I am, I honestly don't think you can say one OS is better than the other.
OS 7-9 are still based on UNIX if I'm not mistaken. And have you used UNIX any? It doesn't suck, well it's not for casual users at least. It's still good for servers, super computers, etc. Things where the average user wouldn't even be going near. I still got one of the very first Macs, back when they had the colored rainbow apple icon or w/e it is. It's awesome!

I agree that Macs are mainly for the serious multimedia people, I'm a video editor and I couldn't imagine using Premier or Sony Vegas instead of Final Cut, it's just so much more powerful in my opinion. And yes, I agree on the no OS is better than the other. It all depends on who the user is and what they're doing/experienced with.

Status
Not open for further replies.