Luvs/Pampers Fragrance, 80s baby, Chemist turned Perfumist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ArchtopK said:
https://boisdejasmin.com/2005/11/ionones-violet-methyl-ionone-powdery-perfume-materials.html
this page could be helpful.
By composing a fragrance where almost 80% of the formula was made up only of four ingredients, Sophia Grojsman represented a new style of perfumery—a composition that dispenses with the traditional top note and instead presents a panoramic vista that largely remains unchanged over time. The four main ingredients she selected for Lancôme Trésor (1990) were Hedione, methyl ionone, Iso E Super, and Galaxolide. The violet facet of Trésor’s apricot and rose marriage is enhanced by pairing of Iso E Super with methyl ionone, and the finished result is the epitome of a sweet, soft, and gently powdery fragrance.

Has anyone tried this one?
I've got 2 of the components (methyl ionone and Galaxolide are in SD18) , one of the things I think I'm missing is a better wood note, something pulp like on it's own. Iso E super is a pure woody note...

That's the other upside to a big fragrance like SD18, I have ALL those ingredients to spare, many of which are quite common use. I have the musky flowery notes but Hedione is an active chemical, it changes based on what you put it in. I want that quite a bit and the Pulp wood notes, I was JUST talking to someone about the diaper smell itself being part of the equation for my testing nose here, it seems that too can be added in liquid form. Order is being placed monday for some of the pampers banned list, I'll add these 2 to my list.

Reactions: jellyjigger and BobbiSueEllen
jellyjigger said:
Does anyone remember Huggies being scented? If they ever were, I do know they've been fragrance free for many years
Really ? I'm not a huggies person, they for sure used to have scent.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
another interesting read. Ombre Rose, referenced here, can indeed offer some clues, but unfortunately, also tends to smell like bug spray, a common problem it seems with reformulations. The first sample of O.R. i had gotten from the perfumed court was gorgeous, so I bought a bottle, and while similar, it would always sway into the "Raid" note.

• Wow
Reactions: Diaps, jellyjigger and BobbiSueEllen
ArchtopK said:
another interesting read. Ombre Rose, referenced here, can indeed offer some clues, but unfortunately, also tends to smell like bug spray, a common problem it seems with reformulations. The first sample of O.R. i had gotten from the perfumed court was gorgeous, so I bought a bottle, and while similar, it would always sway into the "Raid" note.
Yup, welcome to stereochemistry, a GCMS can't tell the difference but our noses sure can. The big perfume places all have internal labs. It's highly likely they are making there own to get the exact balance of chirality they want. I'll just break out my x-ray diffractometer and have at it....
If you are a billion dollar Perfume company or P&G you have more than one of those type of machines so you can literally check what your molecule is. Reformulations made by us poor people, not so much.

Plus there is settling, separation and other inherent problems with ordering a (relatively) tiny quantity vs 55 gallon drums of every ingredient.

We'll crack it, at this point we are literally running out of things in the Universe that do NOT smell like pampers. Brown dwarf star, does not smell like pampers, exploding supernova, flowery hint at about a million degrees.

Update. The PG contact i have been conversing with tells me that if the Quest perfume was used, then even PG would not know the ingredients of it. Another perfume from the same 2007 patent is this one: Essential Oil Perfume Symrise AC11881. This company is still in business in NJ. I have sent a message to them through the website to see if I can get any info on that item. For reference the patent is here https://patents.google.com/patent/US8395012B2/en And Symrise https://www.symrise.com/scent-and-care/aroma-molecules/ingredient-finder/#Vertosine

Reactions: jellyjigger, Diaps and BobbiSueEllen
ArchtopK said:
Update. The PG contact i have been conversing with tells me that if the Quest perfume was used, then even PG would not know the ingredients of it. Another perfume from the same 2007 patent is this one: Essential Oil Perfume Symrise AC11881. This company is still in business in NJ. I have sent a message to them through the website to see if I can get any info on that item. For reference the patent is here https://patents.google.com/patent/US8395012B2/en And Symrise https://www.symrise.com/scent-and-care/aroma-molecules/ingredient-finder/#Vertosine
Ayup, it had occurred to me that what we are after may not even exist. We are talking the paper era, no digital record would exist from anything from the company of any kind. When Pampers perfume went unscented for a time when they resumed it would have been 100 percent internal. Like I said this is equal parts archaeology and chemistry, we are finding incomplete skeletons and from this we must reconstruct the whole animal.

Any closer to a solution? Also, how does someone get on the mailing list to receive a sample?

Reactions: PlastiBrain and BobbiSueEllen
Diaps said:
Ayup, it had occurred to me that what we are after may not even exist. We are talking the paper era, no digital record would exist from anything from the company of any kind. When Pampers perfume went unscented for a time when they resumed it would have been 100 percent internal. Like I said this is equal parts archaeology and chemistry, we are finding incomplete skeletons and from this we must reconstruct the whole animal.

I distinctly remember the scents that were put into Pampers several decades ago. I think it would be easy for me to tell whether or not the samples are genuine.

anton said:
Any closer to a solution? Also, how does someone get on the mailing list to receive a sample
I'm about todo another mailout of the next group, just to avoid spam I'm trying not to post my address multiple times, it's back a couple pages or message me and we can exchange the info.

anton said:
Any closer to a solution? Also, how does someone get on the mailing list to receive a sample?
Chemists always have solutions.

• Haha
teddytugger said:
Chemists always have solutions.
And old musicians never die...they just decompose. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: PlastiBrain and AJFan2020
Just updating so everyone knows it's in progress. Welcome to the waiting period for supplies. You can't exactly get this stuff on Amazon and if the ignition point is low enough it cannot be air shipped, ground freight only AND some of them can freeze or go bad in the wrong temps.

I’m extremely intrigued by this. I’ve longed for adult diapers to have that classic Luvs/Pampers scent in each individual diaper...either that or just have my room smell like it. I use Dreft Baby Scent beads mixed with water that I spray, and while it’s an ok substitute, it still isn’t the same.

I'm following this thread with intense interest. Scent is a very powerful memory aid, and to this day I can recall the Pampers and Luvs scents from the late-70's and 80's.

Luvs was very strong, Pampers wasn't as strong; and they were very different. Huggies, as far as I can recall, did not have any scent. Attends in the 1980's and 90's was intensely strong - something that worried me as I used them for bedwetting and one could tell if I wet simply by the morning scent (it was like concentrated Pampers scent).

In modern years, I've found that Angel of Mind baby powder, from Dollar Tree, is very similar. My morning diaper smells very much like wet Pampers. Perhaps TMI, but the similarities in the scent is there...

Looking forward to more info.

From the people at Symrise, concerning their product Consumer Fragrance AC11881, the oil is no longer available. I asked if they had any info on perfume notes and they said:
TOP : FRESH CLEAN FLORAL SWEET
HEART: FRESH CLEAN FLORAL SWEET POWDERY
BASE : FLORAL SWEET POWDERY MUSK
not particularly helpful.

• Wow
... A little more info on Fragrance AC11881: Oriental, Floral, White Flower

NICE, yeah I have tracking info finally on the package. It doesn't help that they are things that require dangerous shipping labels even if its 20ml of it....

I just finished building a new lab table todo nothing but this. This just can't share space with my plating experiments and such... Manganese Dioxide isn't an ingredient in pampers perfume, I checked.

It will be synthesized if need be.

has any one tried this
RS-NEWNewborn Nursery Room Spray
I just ordered this.
also, discovered a nice perfume smells like ivory soap eau de quinine

At some point I wanted my diapers to smell like the Pampers that I grew up with.
So I bought some Pampers Wipes and put them in the diaper in the morning.
At night I would take the wipes out and now the diaper smelled like Pampers :cool:

Correction to my post above, the eau de quinine I have that smells like ivory soap is this one
and unfortunately, only these small samples are available as the scent is no longer in production.
I doubt the G. F. Trumper version above is the same.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back