Luvs/Pampers Fragrance, 80s baby, Chemist turned Perfumist

Status
Not open for further replies.
That classic Pampers perfume scent that everybody loves comes from the prefold days. Yes! most definitely true. Do you know anyone from the factory that might know who made this perfume for P&G?

I think we really need to reach out to the folks named in the patents that reference this sweet dream 18 to see if they would share any information.

Reactions: Woncrinklz, jellyjigger and BobbiSueEllen
Hot damn!!! OP IS A FREAKING GENIUS!!!

and I need a sample!

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
ArchtopK said:
That classic Pampers perfume scent that everybody loves comes from the prefold days. Yes! most definitely true. Do you know anyone from the factory that might know who made this perfume for P&G?

I think we really need to reach out to the folks named in the patents that reference this sweet dream 18 to see if they would share any information.
I wish I knew somebody I could ask. Anyone who would've known has long since retired and probably wouldn't remember. If I could get some samples , I could pick it out very quickly.

Reactions: Angelapinks
Technically it's not allowed to be used anymore. More than a dozen chemicals in my assembly aren't allowed to be used in this concentration on skin.
@jdm66 was one of the reasons I knew I was in the right area. I'd seen his recollection elsewhere and it matched what I knew the chemistry should be.

Some people got rashes so they changed the formula. Hence the evolution of pampers over time. Even tho what I have isn't pampers (yet) the concentrations are correct for the era, (we allowed this much of X back in the 80s). Pampers would have evolved exactly the same way.

Technically P&G lists what chemicals have been phased out over time, they get around telling you what's in the current perfume this way, they just tell you EVERYTHING they use right now. But, they also list what has been phased out, I've seen it and didn't mark the page so it's been a pita finding it again. Extra eyes scouring pampers website (it was like an msds sub pampers site) for their discontinued chemicals list, might actually help.

There is 5 American samples left, I think most people are assuming it's closed and deluged with people wanting it..... If I use up a stamp book and more people want to try, stamps are cheap.

I have 5 American stamps left in this book to go out I'm waiting for at least 3 samples before making the trip into town for the post office. I'm anxious to have Anyone try this so I'll probably only wait till tomorrow for the first mailing.

IMG_06911.jpg

[email protected]

Just send a hello to check address etc, I'll email back.

BobbiSueEllen said:
If perfume has a short life-span, how is it I still have a bottle of Cruzan after 1/3 century...and it still smells di-viiiine? :unsure:🤭🥳

These things are called "volatiles" - things that evaporate very quickly. These sent materials are often called "oils", but oil doesn't evaporate easily, so you shouldn't call them "oils". Normally if you want to infuse scent quickly, you put a few drops into a strip, and the volatile quickly wicks through the strip, and then starts evaporating out over the large surface area of the strip, in other words, really really fast. So the strip quickly loses its scent because the drop or two that was put into it evaporates out really fast. But anything else in the bag is going to get a heavy dose of the perfume. And that's why ABU cuts a little hole in the bag and drops in a strip they've just placed a few drops on.

You can't really even put it into a baggie to keep it fresh, it will just dump all the scent into the air that's in the bag, and when you open the bag it'll all pour out and diffuse into the room, leaving almost nothing in the strip. That drop or so that was left in the strip when you got it (if even that) can mostly diffuse into the air in the bag, leaving very little in the strip.

It "stays potent" in the bottle because there's so much of it that only a little can evaporate into the air in the bottle before it's "saturated" and no more can evaporate.

Reactions: XLolixLolitax
It's also protected FROM air. Air oxidizes some of the chemicals and that's what you actually smell (exact same mechanism as wine). Water protection is important too as water mixed perfume smells very different 2 weeks after being mixed. Water acts as a solvent and catalyst so it allows the chemistry to wreck itself, what's called hydrolysis. It can be good or bad, in perfume it's bad. In addition to bad it allows bacterial growth, which then assembles enzymes and then anything can come out.

The seal on the laminated strips is remarkable considering I know it would eat it's way out of half the plastics in the world.

100 Percent change you will leave fingerprints on plastics with this, my keyboards gaming keys have suddenly gotten smooth during the process of woking on this.

Sorta icky but cool chemistry was correctly noted by someone here on these boards (i think it was here), in a powdered and wet diaper they noticed pampers like notes and that was probably correct. Urine contains all the water solubles, all the methyls, chlorides, etc. Now much is synthetic, but only like half, two thirds. Some sources of various compounds are natural and not all are... plant derived...

bambinod said:
These things are called "volatiles" - things that evaporate very quickly. These sent materials are often called "oils", but oil doesn't evaporate easily, so you shouldn't call them "oils". Normally if you want to infuse scent quickly, you put a few drops into a strip, and the volatile quickly wicks through the strip, and then starts evaporating out over the large surface area of the strip, in other words, really really fast. So the strip quickly loses its scent because the drop or two that was put into it evaporates out really fast. But anything else in the bag is going to get a heavy dose of the perfume. And that's why ABU cuts a little hole in the bag and drops in a strip they've just placed a few drops on.

You can't really even put it into a baggie to keep it fresh, it will just dump all the scent into the air that's in the bag, and when you open the bag it'll all pour out and diffuse into the room, leaving almost nothing in the strip. That drop or so that was left in the strip when you got it (if even that) can mostly diffuse into the air in the bag, leaving very little in the strip.

It "stays potent" in the bottle because there's so much of it that only a little can evaporate into the air in the bottle before it's "saturated" and no more can evaporate.
My statement was merely humorous rhetoric, I'm surprised it wasn't taken that way. I am indeed familiar with the volatiles used in perfumes & other essences, such as various classes of alcohols. Confined inside a bottle, they go nowhere; outside, the fragrance doesn't last much longer outside of being confined and after the volatile has flashed off.

Reactions: Diaps
I have to make sure I don't get peoples hopes up while at the same time, it is proving a very reliable source of pampers smell when combined with powder. The test diaper I first scented days ago (I'm wearing now), having just got back from dropped off the first mailing, it's wet and the smell as I sat down.. Hauntingly pampers, like SO much better than current diaper pampers, and the fingerprints I'm sometimes leaving in plastics and my razors rubber strip getting eaten from shaving down there (no seriously, I noticed it today, yeah....) are indicators why this was changed.... (it's the hydroxycitronellal, I already know where to start when I do round 2)

@BobbiSueEllen you got 3 samples, everyone else got 2 and I'll explain what they are.

After aging the separate sample I was using with 2 kinds of vanilla bean (Madagascar and Tahitian, literally in the sample) it had begin to not only change color and darken but obviously smell different. I had added them to speed add more vanillins after doing an initial decant, it was just to make some scent strips that smelled more correct (vanillin content has gone down in recent years, another discussion) as the vanillin in the mix had an effect but vanilla then and now have different chemistry.

So that sample had aged producing something separately excellent and a couple people get to try that too.

difference.jpg

That's a fresh sample (on the left) made for making the new scent cards. I realized I had to make all new ones and the ones I had made were useful but technically invalid. So there are 3 cards, an unmarked one that was halfway through aging, the original remixed fresh from the master sample (still spinning away) and Diaps Mod V, that is the current aged sample. As the amount of liquid went down the concentration began to rise faster since there was less left to dilute it with. Everyone got the fresh sample and randomly got one of the others, there wasn't enough for everyone to get 3, quite a lot of sample is in each card.
remix.jpgpampersinside.jpg
The result is something unique and I think closer to pampers but thats the point of doing this, the hunt.. Everything perfume wise now has to be listed so if someone found something specific that made this closer to pampers we could find out what it is and remix it. Hilariously I haven't tested this yet with the original babypowder, talc version, that could be even closer, who knows, the lucky 4 to start with can help search.
sent.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jellyjigger and BobbiSueEllen
My nose humbly and eagerly awaits! 🤗🥰🥳

BobbiSueEllen said:
My nose humbly and eagerly awaits! 🤗🥰🥳
OH and I remembered this after and it's important so a separate message is good, IPM, the carrier and diluent, freezes into a waxy like solid at -3C. Just under the freezing point of water (26F) for My American fam. If its quite cold just allow it to warm between your hands before opening.

• Love

Ultra Downy® Infusions™ Sweet Dreams™ Liquid Fabric Softener​

Infuse fabrics with a touch-activated fragrance that balances soothing vanilla notes, with the calming scent of jasmine. Downy Infusions Sweet Dreams Fabric Conditioner also softens and protects your clothes from stretching, fading, and fuzz.

• ethyl vanillin
  • ethylene brassylate
  • hexyl cinnamal
  • isobornyl acetate
  • isobutyl methyl tetrahydropyranol
  • limonene
  • linalool
  • 2,4-dimethyl-3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde
  • 2,6-dimethyl-7-octen-2-ol
  • 2-t-butylcyclohexyl acetate
  • 3a,4,5,6,7,7a-hexahydro-4,7-methano-1h-indenyl acetate
  • alpha-isomethyl ionone
  • benzyl benzoate
  • butanoic acid, 2-methyl-, ethyl ester
  • citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil
  • cyclohexanemethanol, alpha,3,3-trimethyl-, 1-formate
  • methoxypolyoxymethylene melamine
  • methyldihydrojasmonate
  • oxacyclohexadecenone
  • polyquaternium-37
  • propanoic acid, 2-methyl-, 2-phenoxyethyl ester
  • tetramethyl acetyloctahydronaphthalenes
  • vinyl homopolymer salt

Ultra Downy® Infusions™ Sweet Dreams™ Liquid Fabric Softener​

Does this have Luvs/Pampers scent?

Does this have Luvs/Pampers scent?
don't know. just thought it was interesting that it shares the name with the patent formula that started this thread. And it is a PG product.

I found this review on ChickAdvisor.com...it's apparently a massive hit there. A comparison to Pampers isn't mentioned but it makes me all the more curious... :unsure:

Last edited:
It would be helpful if this patent formula showed up in older patents, but as described (sweet dream 18) it only shows up in 2011 and later which seems a bit removed from the time frame we are interested in.

ArchtopK said:
It would be helpful if this patent formula showed up in older patents, but as described (sweet dream 18) it only shows up in 2011 and later which seems a bit removed from the time frame we are interested in.
It doesn't matter to me. As long as we can get as close as possible, I'm happy. Being this is no P&G factory, I understand and accept that 100% perfection may not be possible. But if this stuff tickles my nose as softly and sweetly as when wheeling through a diaper aisle's Pampers section, then I can die happy. 🥰🤗🧸🍼🤗🥰

Last edited:
Reactions: jellyjigger
Even if the scent changed slightly over time, the Pampers and Luvs sold in stores around 2011 and onwards is close enough to what I remember from the 80s, that my nose can't tell the difference. It was not until recently that I found (on ADISC) that there were scent modifications - I had no idea. Can you guys (with more sensitive noses than mine) elaborate on what changed in the Luvs and Pampers scents since the 80s?

We at least know from @Diaps' posts that the changes minimally include swapping out those ingredients later found to be dangerous. The only thing I noticed over the years is that less and less scent was actually in the diapers. P&G seemed to lessen the scent due to allergies, headaches,etc. occurring with a small percentage of the population that cannot tolerate strong smells of any kind.

after the unscented period, Pampers customer service told me that the new scent was more baby powdery than the original. The Luvs scent, as you say, seems the same but waaaaaay diluted in strength. It is difficult to put a finger on the Pampers scent. It is simply something known from memory.
I have often described it as a blend of common nursery smells: baby magic lotion, j&j baby powder and something else which I cannot describe except that it gave the scent a heavy vibe.
I have walked through "clouds" of scent that reminded me of Pampers, telling me that there is at least one perfume that has the signature traits, but in all my searching only the Amouage Gold Man seems to come anywhere near it. I wish we had the internet back in the 80's because then when someone on a forum said a perfume smelled like Pampers, you could rely on it!

BobbiSueEllen said:
It doesn't matter to me. As long as we can get as close as possible, I'm happy. Being this is no P&G factory, I understand and accept that 100% perfection may not be possible. But if this stuff tickles my nose as softly and sweetly as when wheeling through a diaper aisle's Pampers section, then I can die happy. 🥰🤗🧸🍼🤗🥰
While I can honestly say it's SO weird using it, the smell as you lay in bed with it in a diaper evokes memories. IF it had nailed that opening trumpet and failed the rest I would have been overjoyed. What I have is the remaining notes and it's missing that first trumpet, you'll find out soon. Like I've been saying it's like I remember Luvs but with the volume turned to 11 and the knob snapped off.

One other huge PITA for me is that while I cas# matched the list some of the thing on there are actually assemblies with a cas#, Florosa is actually several other chemicals and is actually Florosa S now it was Q back then, but it has the same cas chemical#.... That's so alien to me as a chemist I can't describe it, like the holiest of holies has been broken, the background moved away and blood poured out of elevator when I realized it...

@ArchtopK
The cool thing about Canada is by law everything now down to the femtoliter must be declared for various purposes. Did you get a sample ? I haven't actually smelled Amouage gold, I've just had the chemistry down. I want someone to waft mine and that together and see what comes out. If it has the missing pieces I'll buy em and start blending.
71AChG-vaAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Several very familiar sounding names there. In fact fully half of that is already in my hands and in the samples going out. You can tell by the extracts being last that it is actually a full listing of whats inside, which makes sense, people can be allergic to very small quantities and various lawsuits have moved laws.

Basically once afew people have this and know the attempt is real, like this isn't repackaged amazon level scents, I'll start to point the army of brains in the right direction. I know exactly what I need but I don't have the.... tenacity, of some on this board. We will find it and do a driveby on Attends while we're at it, I'm pretty sure thats actually right next to this is several patents, "floral magnifica"

The upside of sending lettermail samples is that part of the post is still pretty damn fast, people should be sharing my haunting memories soon, by friday I expect at least one to have arrived.

Actually here is a neat example, here is how you hunt for the pampers formula.
Searched for "Hydroxycitronellal pampers scent" and several down you find a link to uk pampers that states that states what they no longer use.

Pampers premium protection, active fit, baby-dry nappies and pants do not contain any of the 26 fragrance ingredients - listed in the European Union Cosmetics Regulation – which are considered more likely to cause reactions in (allergy-) susceptible people. To note, the overwhelming majority of cosmetic users will not experience any undesirable effects associated with the presence of these substances. These 26 fragrance ingredients are: Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Alcohol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Amylcinnamyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Coumarin, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Anise Alcohol, Benzyl Cinnamate, Farnesol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Methyl 2-Octynoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Evernia Prunastri, Evernia Furfuracea.

Grab these other fragrances if they match the list I've provided and do the same search, by law what we want HAS to be posted but they can be SO sneaky about it...

80s pampers smelled the same everywhere on the globe, just like you can still buy J&J powder anywhere on the globe and it smells the same.

Look at that list of now banned fragrances, Amouage gold is technically banned.... Welcome to the perfume world where stuff that isn't allowed on your skin is allowed on your skin.....

Reactions: jellyjigger
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back