Not open for further replies.

Diaps

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
  4. Other
theprize.jpgYeah, the short is I need a Canadian Luvs baby to reply with a placeholder, you get a freebie, maybe 2 people. I need some noses to test with, I was a pampers baby this is what I remember luvs smelling like, very flowery, the vanilla ties it together, it was overwhelmingly flowery before it. But Luvs wasn't my diaper and smells are subjective.

While (if this is anything) it's luvs rather than pampers it's so close, it's a hit on the battleship of #1. Since there had been no previous attempts in any way we didn't even have a way to begin. I am the only person I have ever heard of actually assembling a fragrance. From here I can actually make an attempt on the real mountain.
But, meanwhile, even as Luvs I could keep it to myself where I found it and make a ton of money. OR option 2 tell everyone and become a folk hero AND make a ton of money.

SO,
Just assemble the following
afewthings.jpg
Got all that ?

About halfway and 600 dollars in I realized there was no choice, I was halfway up the mountain, to stop was to have nothing and have spent everything. The dust on the tops of some is how hard it was to get stock on all the components, they arrived months between each other.

Having now gotten really close I have somewhere to move from. While this wasn't pampers, after assembling the full fragrance and the smell everywhere in the air, I pulled out a diaper and put powder on it and the room exploded in 80s pampers. I was able to scent a diaper the same way, J and J corn starch Powder, just the right distance and I'm 4 again in the cabin at the lake... It's also how I remembered Luvs, it was pampers like, back when all diapers reeked and the smells blended together on the changing table at the daycare.

This is also where everyone else comes in. This is "sweet dream 18" as referenced in MANY P&G patents
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.15.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.15.45 PM.png
We had been walking right past it, while following a lead from here to a patent months back. I was scrolling in a patent that dated back to 89 that listed a few possible fragrances for use on a diaper top sheet, like 3 components, 7, another with 5, then suddenly THAT. Several fruit extracts, warm milk base? Yeah, that's for a diaper, for babies. That clipping is from a different patent that had a better layout of the fragrance (and full cas#) but obviously the same.

I've been watching for something even this close for many years, I had been also lurking on the perfume boards, a few of you have accounts on more than one. Watching people trying to broach the subject of diapers on a perfume board full of the MOST snobbish people you can imagine, entertainment on it's own. I'm aware of the various fragrances that have pampers like notes to them, this fragrance shares several of the same bits as Amouage gold for men for example, another reason I attempted the assembly. It had all the right parts and I'm hoping it at least gives the Luvs wearers something for all the effort to make it.

I'll sell it either way but if it's not either it has far less draw, just the name alone indicates this was on the way to something and no matter what I have to start in version 2 by upgrading it to modern standards. We don't use so much of Several chemicals anymore, it's known now that several of these ingredients cause rashes in the amounts used in this formulation. At least 2 of them aren't on the FDA GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list anymore.... It shows how old it is. There are substitutions for many of them but smells are subjective. Step one is find a couple of Luvs babies in cheap shipping range for everyone else if it's a go it will be 40 bucks (same for US or Canada) for 4ml of Parfum, 25 percent dilution strength in perfume grade IPM, dozens of scent strips worth. I'm using 1ml of that in 100ml of distilled water as a diaper spray. I'll figure out one of the many payment systems available, preferably one with anonymity. This first run will be limited to about 50-75 people, by simply only having so much...

There is enough in those vials todo it again, but I don't want to start changing this completion, I'll set some of the concentrate aside and go at it again. I want to add way more vanilla, and tweak with some sucrose-vanillins, i think thats the key to pampers, but... One thing at a time.

I really wanted pampers, but even if it's "only" Luvs, a shitton of babies are about to lose their minds....

• Love
Reactions: furry121, ChrisChris, skylanderpamp and 18 others
I always thought, after considerable reflection, that Pampers had, among its scent complex, baby powder and vanilla. I detect the warmth of vanilla in both Pampers and Luvs.

Reactions: abdilly
Wow, this is huge on so many levels - Thank you @Diaps. You are already a folk hero in my own mind. I hope people who read this thread realize how significant this find is. @ArchtopK, a regular on the board here also knows a thing or two about fragrance research. Maybe he can chime in on this find as well.

I'm glad you understand the technicalities of these perfume ingredients not to mention that you even found this list of the mysterious "Sweet Dream #18". I agree that this is probably either the Luvs or Pampers scent. Just finding out the official secret name is a big victory and I don't think this has been done before. Finally a search term we can actually use to sift through archived documents such as on archive.org.

I had downloaded various diaper (and adult diaper) patents previously trying to find some sort of ingredient list (I'd be happy finding the 80s Attends old-lady-scent formula that was discontinued in P&G Attends around the time the trademark was sold to PaperPak) but never got much other than a name or two of essential oil type ingredients for Luvs/Pampers, nothing anywhere near this list you just posted. The "Sweet Dream #18" ingredient list is larger than expected but certainly illustrates how difficult it would be to randomly come up with a scent in the same ballpark. Can you provide a link or patent number that screenshots came from?

I'd love to offer my nose, but I don't live in Canada :( Maybe I can donate a gift card towards your efforts.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Well, I think I'm just gonna say "Sweet Dream 18" instead of "That wonderful Pampers Smell" from now on. It flows better... 🥳🥳🥳

...and after perusing the ingredients list, I'll never see Prunella Deegan from Arthur in the same way again. But, she also has a big sister named Rubella. Some kids' parents... :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 12srepaid
Reactions: skylanderpamp
This is the stuff of legends...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: tiny and BobbiSueEllen
Because Luvs was an 80s thing and vanished in the 90s its a very early baby smell for Canada. Meanwhile it's still alive and well in the states. If no Canadian noses come up I'll take an American nose that would know roughly, where in the field this is. Like I said, I've hit the battleship, but because there have been no previous shots, no ability to even scout. I have several directions which to fire upon next and there is no guarantee a ship is there. I've lurked these boards but not the rules, I don't want to step on toes which is why i asked for a placeholder rather than a DM, I read newbies can't DM so it excluded many people from the chance.

I'll take one American nose alongside the possibly Canadian ones, leave a placeholder if you are sending me an address, just so I don't get buried under messages. Hopefully asking for an address like that doesn't go against the rules.

I'm trying to send samples as cheaply as possible, I'm not living under a bridge but as a side hobby this was right up there with a drug habit :D It's occupying several pieces of glassware and it lives on a stirplate that runs at "Frappe" 24/7 to prevent oil separation. It ate the plastic cap for the first bottle I tried storing it in, had to switch to ground glass, smallest flash I had to spare was a dual neck, so it's even taking up an extra stopper, thats PTFE tape on the second neck btw, it's gone Transparent in places from the compounds in the perfume.

Literally it's in a TON of their patents, hidden in plain sight, buried next to fragrances that aren't perfume, they are "scent collection", perfumes have more than 25 compounds.

Thats what made it stand out, amongst all the minor scents was a massive True perfume with unique scent combinations that had no business in a wearable perfume.

Last edited:
Reactions: CptKirk, PlastiBrain and jellyjigger
Just four ounces of the stuff...just four ounces of Sweet Dream 18. I'll make it last...heck, I still have 90% of a 2-ounce bottle of Cruzan cologne from 1987, and that stuff is wicked! 🤗🥰🍼🧸

Last edited:
Therein comes the discussion of perfume strength, It's faster todo a search and understand it. That bottle is concentrate, 100 percent perfume, it's so strong you can't smell most of it, it literally anesthetizes your ability to smell if you try, some people actually faint (I'm new to the perfuming world and I've never seen it and doubted everything about perfuming before, now... It's probably true). It gets moved around in syringes with 18 gauge needles and even then it's overpowering, some tums I left out picked up the taste when I went to eat them 2 days later, not optimal.

"Perfuming is where chemists go when their nerves get frayed from things exploding, but it smells just as bad" - My Pyrotechnicians class, he may have been quoting other sources, but it remains as true.

About 70ml of concentrate are available. To put it in perspective, the samples are 4ml of 25 percent "parfum" strength. Cologne is 2-4 percent, 2.5 average these days, so that 4ml sample diluted into a final volume of 40ml, 36ml diluent + the 4ml sample = 40ml or 1.35 fluid ounces of cologne.

Last edited:
In other words, an "inert suspension medium" is to be involved. But of course it will...and concentrated or not, don't leave it in a hot car in August or a reputation may be earned... 🤭

But then again, that could be fun! 🥳

Last edited:
Bravo. Makes you wonder how that name came about, Sweet Dream 18... Maybe it originally had 18 ingredients.
Appearing across many patents, some as late as 2015, suggests it is a formula well known in the industry. A general google search brings back zip.

BobbiSueEllen said:
In other words, an "inert suspension medium" is to be involved. But of course it will...and concentrated or not, don't leave it in a hot car in August or a reputation may be earned... 🤭

But then again, that could be fun! 🥳
firstofitsname.jpg

First ever diluted for sending out, I have both IPM and DPG for diluents, in theory they should smell the same but I'll test tomorrow when the scents have cleared.

Remember to set your hopes low. I don't know Luvs and the memories are old AF. It's flowery, like WHOA flowery, warm, trails of vanillins as an end but even then its under flowers. Going by the patents it was for sure used in a diaper at some point, but which one isn't for sure yet.

If you were big in Luvs, you'd for sure know the scent?, then I'll send you it.

For local dilution mediums, pure alcohols work, 99 percent isopropanol is good. 199 proof (99%) Ethanol. Never methanol, it's highly poisonous and absorbs through the skin. IPM (Isopropyl myristate) and DPG (Dipropylene glycol) can be had online for cheapish. Using water will turn it a milky white color as many of the substances arent water soluble. I do use this method tho for diaper spraying, you just have to shake the bottle well before using as it goes clear with visible layers in the sprayer. Don't store it diluted, the water will slowly start hydrolysing the many chemicals and causing side reactions already underway in such a perfume. They age like wines do, very old perfumes would smell different than a brand new assembly.

Reactions: jellyjigger
ArchtopK said:
Bravo. Makes you wonder how that name came about, Sweet Dream 18... Maybe it originally had 18 ingredients.
Appearing across many patents, some as late as 2015, suggests it is a formula well known in the industry. A general google search brings back zip.
Yeah I didn't name you, but watching you going through perfume boards while I was slowly building this, it's almost a year in completion.. People talking on perfume boards about Amouage gold for men and I knew damn well what they were after, some were more blunt. All the while me quietly in the background, "I got you fam". The only person in the world who knew I was trying this was @TeddyUrsadorable. Between my lunatic ramblings of spacetime twisting and gravity being an illusion I'm pretty sure he was able to make out I was doing this. For all I knew it was a new way to make brake fluid or a Very Expensive, Skunks Butt Rug.

If anyone deserves a sample it's you.

Diaps said:
View attachment 49685

First ever diluted for sending out, I have both IPM and DPG for diluents, in theory they should smell the same but I'll test tomorrow when the scents have cleared.

Remember to set your hopes low. I don't know Luvs and the memories are old AF. It's flowery, like WHOA flowery, warm, trails of vanillins as an end but even then its under flowers. Going by the patents it was for sure used in a diaper at some point, but which one isn't for sure yet.

If you were big in Luvs, you'd for sure know the scent?, then I'll send you it.

For local dilution mediums, pure alcohols work, 99 percent isopropanol is good. 199 proof (99%) Ethanol. Never methanol, it's highly poisonous and absorbs through the skin. IPM (Isopropyl myristate) and DPG (Dipropylene glycol) can be had online for cheapish. Using water will turn it a milky white color as many of the substances arent water soluble. I do use this method tho for diaper spraying, you just have to shake the bottle well before using as it goes clear with visible layers in the sprayer. Don't store it diluted, the water will slowly start hydrolysing the many chemicals and causing side reactions already underway in such a perfume. They age like wines do, very old perfumes would smell different than a brand new assembly.
I'll def keep hopes lowish; things do happen and it's understandable. I use Pampers a lot as stuffers in my own diapers and my grandkids all wore Luvs...I changed them all a lot and there's some very subtle differences between Luvs & Pampers scenting but more similarities overall, largely owing to them both being P&G products. Keep fighting the good fight! 🥰

And I'd be happy to receive a tab of cardboard with a teeny bit of your parfum d'enfant on it, as the Pampers aroma is burned into my psyche. Feel free to ask! 🥳

Last edited:
Reactions: jellyjigger
BobbiSueEllen said:
I'll def keep hopes lowish; things do happen and it's understandable. I use Pampers a lot as stuffers in my own diapers and my grandkids all wore Luvs...I changed them all a lot and there's some very subtle differences between Luvs & Pampers scenting but more similarities overall, largely owing to them both being P&G products. Keep fighting the good fight! 🥰

And I'd be happy to receive a tab of cardboard with a teeny bit of your parfum d'enfant on it, as the Pampers aroma is burned into my psyche. Feel free to ask! 🥳
I'm sitting here, smelling the tube, the seals are excellent, i cracked it open after shaking it and the gasket got some on it. I've maybe worded this wrong, it cost me a scary amount of money and each tube should be like a hundred bucks :D. For my own research, I need to find out what this is. That's partly why I finally opened up about this. Just as I finish it and try to buy some luvs to try to compare (since they had been unchanged apparently since old times and not on the shelf in Canada) I find they had recently changed it to a new scent that isn't comparable at all. SO I'm screwed or as my old English teacher turned boss used to say, scrawed, the past pluperfect of screwed.

It's going to take 0.0001ml for someone who knows Luvs to tell if this is it or not the other 3.9999ml and the tube are free, you are the product. Also if its real, you get an theoretical ounce of Luvs cologne for free and I get data.

@jellyjigger @BobbiSueEllen if you for sure know Luvs I'll send a tube in a bubblewrap envelope, seriously, i Need data on what this is. Smells are subjective, other noses may find something mine isn't.

• Love
Oh, you don't need to send a tube...just a cardboard thingy the size of a match with a teeeeeeeny amount of perfume on it, wrapped in a snack Baggie will be fine. Low-cost, low-profile, fits in a letter envelope. Perfect! Is that okay?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Eclectic, AshtonFreecss and jellyjigger
  • Haha
Reactions: EagleScout and BobbiSueEllen
Quite the interesting read, you mad scientist, lol.

Not to point out the obvious, but couldn't you just acquire a vintage diaper from someone to compare the scent to?

BobbiSueEllen said:
Oh, you don't need to send a tube...just a cardboard thingy the size of a match with a teeeeeeeny amount of perfume on it, wrapped in a snack Baggie will be fine. Low-cost, low-profile, fits in a letter envelope. Perfect! Is that okay?

Yes.
Fyi going across the border it has to be one of several approved packages, unless its a parcel, welcome to why I wanted a Canadian nose :D. Small bubblewrap envelope is easiest on my side. Smells amazing, I wish it was pampers... Technically by law they have to actually tell you what's in the modern day pampers perfume, but it's not the old stuff, when the first scent cloud hit it jarred me how different it really was for oldschool pampers. Hydroxycitronellal for example, 7.5 percent by weight, you can't use that much even in a cosmetic anymore, where it's bound up with a petrochemical.

This is why the fragrance changed over time they had to modify the balance down to 2.69 percent at a max concentration of 20% for a skin contact fragrance otherwise some people get rashes. One example among Many..

Personally when I find 80 pampers I don't care if it causes mild roswellism, with a slightly higher chance of alien abduction.

Reactions: jellyjigger and BobbiSueEllen
MandyBear said:
Quite the interesting read, you mad scientist, lol.

Not to point out the obvious, but couldn't you just acquire a vintage diaper from someone to compare the scent to?
I have the fountain by which to create more if something goes wrong, I am the golden goose, I can lay more eggs. For me it's easier to send the creation to the person with said vintage diaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back