Lubrication expiration date

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilRabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur, Sissy, Incontinent, Carer
So gentlemen, and ladies.

I was digging through a box of some really old stuff the other night, just cleaning some stuff out. When suddenly, I found a bottle of some KY that I completely forgot even existed... I thought I threw it away. It's that nice warm stuff that tingles when you apply.

As it turns out, there is still some stuff left in the bottle. I decided to check the expiration date for the hell of it since I bought it in like... 2005.

As it turns out, it expired late in 2007. But I'm wondering... what exactly is the point an expiration date on something like personal lubricant? Would it still be safe to use, or would someone's skin melt away with the pleasure, or some other horrific event occur?

Just curious.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Maybe the tingling effect would wear off, but other than that, lubricant is just water and jelly - I doubt any of that stuff is an awfully good breeding ground for bacteria.

I'm always dumbstruck when I find expiration dates on water bottles. If it's fizzy water, I can understand why they put them on there, as the carbonic acid may eventually vanish (and try drinking still coke...disgusting!). But expiration dates on still water? It'S not like it's gonna get mouldy, or that you suddenly see a population of fish appearing in your water bottle.

My suggestion is: Don't use your expired lubricant with condoms, as there may have been some chemical reactions in that stuff that may cause the condom to break. If you're just using it on yourself, it should still work.

Peachy

Role
Private
I'm thinking the chemicals in it would start to weaken and perhaps become less effective over time. That's about all I can think of... I've noticed stuff that has sat for a while before, it starts to coagulate. So you might find some blobby bits as well.

So yeah, I think the worse thing that could happen is that it's non-effective. Stuff like this is designed so that it's very safe. I mean, look at where we are applying it too! I certainly wouldn't like anything even remotely dangerous to be down there, let alone applying it on. :p

crinklyjas

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
hiya,

Its very possible that the elements of the liquid will separate, so i would be safe and just throw it out. I think a new £3 bottle of lube is better than trying to go onto the market for a new anus / penis.

Jammie

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
i never new compounds spontaneously decayed after a certain amount of time. NEWS TO ME

tedster

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
i never new compounds spontaneously decayed after a certain amount of time. NEWS TO ME
They won't necessarily spontaneously decay but chemicals can and do degrade over time. Add a bit of warmth and light (although in this case the latter is not applicable) and you'll only aid any potential degradation.

It's possible, like Lukie noticed, that it may have simply dried out and turned into a weird blobby mess.

As to Jake, I don't see any harm in using slightly out of date lube on yourself, but as Peachy said, I wouldn't use it on condoms just to err on the side of safety.

D

Doodle

you should also considder that most lubericants are packged in a sterile enviroment and then sealde and steralized for a reason ... it could be very likely that using the expired lubericant inside you could cause an infection due to the sterility of the product being compromised

honestly i wouldn't risk it unlees you have some building toys that have hinges (ie legos) that need lube so they stop squeeking :p
-doodle

Last edited by a moderator:

LilRabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
you should also considder that most luv=bericants are packged in a sterile enviroment and then sealde and steralized for a reason ... it could be very likely that using the expired lubericant inside you could cause an infection due to the sterility of the product being compromised
lol somehow the words 'inside you' made me blush.

Peachy

Banned
Role
lol somehow the words 'inside you' made me blush.
I doubt lubricant makes for a good sauce to put on your dinner, or a good afternoon snack. While it's probably not going to make you sick if you happen to eat it, I would not suggest to put taht theory to the test.
And as for other ways to get that into your body...let's not get into that here, OK?! (pardon the pun :D).

Peachy

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
To be honest if it was me I would not use it. I just would not want to take any chances of it causing a serious rash or anything. Everytime something is expired I will always throw it out. Except maybe in the case of water like Peachy mentioned, I never even knew there was expiration on water. I geuss cause I never thought to look.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I reckon it'd be fine, I'd use it. I wouldn't use anything like a condom that's past it's date, but lubricant is probably ok, which like heaps of prople have already said so dunno why I'm posting this :S. So yeah. There's only one way to find out :p

LilRabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Well guys...

The other night was quite a lonely night indeed. As I sat there, no significant other by my side to help make that night a bit less lonely. I decided to pull out my expired lubrication, and test to see what would happen.

My skin started to flake off... until it was nothing but raw skin, and I was screaming in horror and agony. I've never seen my penis turn so red and hurt so bad in my life.

Actually, no. I'm just kidding.

I did decide to use it once though. Just fine... smells like super glue though.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
ya know... it would suck if you decided to substitute superglue in for someone's lube...

D

daria7483

I'm skeptical of using anything that goes in or on my body - milk, yogurt, aspirin - after the expiration or even the sell-by date (unless it's meat that I've frozen). And if it's something I'm putting down there, well, I am definitely not going to use it past the expiration date! I'd just splurge and buy another $5 bottle. And try to use it a little quicker this time ;)

LilRabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
I'm skeptical of using anything that goes in or on my body - milk, yogurt, aspirin - after the expiration or even the sell-by date (unless it's meat that I've frozen). And if it's something I'm putting down there, well, I am definitely not going to use it past the expiration date! I'd just splurge and buy another $5 bottle. And try to use it a little quicker this time ;)
Hahaha... I seriously could've SWORN that I threw it away like two years ago though! It vanished and then just now it magically reappears years later.

I think it traveled through time.

Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Hahaha... I seriously could've SWORN that I threw it away like two years ago though! It vanished and then just now it magically reappears years later.

I think it traveled through time.
Maybe yourparents borrowed it then return it without telling you!:eek: :laughing:

Peachy

Banned
Role
Maybe yourparents borrowed it then return it without telling you!:eek: :laughing:
I hope they didn't borrow his condoms too. *pukes*

And y'all should keep in mind that "Sell by" and "Use by" dates are normally chosen such that the product will be completely safe at the day of expiration 99.9% of the time just to avoid any possible lawsuits. So chances are that the product is still 90% save the day after the expiration date.

Peachy

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
Think that's bad, I found my paternal grandfather's WWII army issued condoms, and they were DISINTEGRATING! All brown and falling apart! So maybe they need an expiration date too!

To answer your question, I really couldn't tell you, but I don't think it'll harm you. It might just have lost some of its special feeling.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
army-issued condoms? that's the craziest concept ever! who did they expect their soldiers would be having sex with? prostitutes, or their fellow soldiers?

it must have been sort of an unsettling experience to run across condoms belonging to your grandfather, even if he never actually used those particular ones.

BabyMullet

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
army-issued condoms? that's the craziest concept ever! who did they expect their soldiers would be having sex with? prostitutes, or their fellow soldiers?
The army had a lot of trouble with STD's in world war 1 and 2, in fact those diseases caused almost as much trouble as bullets.

Also, condoms can be used for a lot of things! To waterproof the barrel of a gun, a microphone, or your wallet. It can be used to carry liquids in a sterile environment in some sort of a survial situation. They make great water balloons that are really hard to pop. You can fill them with air and play volleyball with them. Slip them over really disgusting payphones to prevent the spread of germ. A wet suit for a ferret, and finally you can fill them with rocks and hit people with them, for self defense of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.