Lots of Vaseline or is there too much of a good thing?

MatalicPebble

Lily Fathom
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
I am finding my skin is becoming really soft when using vaseline also known as petroleum jelly. Its rather pleasant too. This migh be because my skin needed it in my diaper area. So, here is the question....

Can you use straight up lotion and jelly for a barrier or is a powder necessary for longer periods of time?

I plan on wearing tomorrow and parts of next week. A trial run before I attempt 24/7 again. I will practice voiding on Saturdays to see where I am at. Plus, this will help with spotting skin problems when ever necessary. I have an area in part of my house I can be nude and no one would see me.

The reason I ask is because of 24/7 or close to it. I would be very grateful for any warnings or thoughts on continual use of creme. There are articles on this, but not exactly for side affects that are common. If I did not look hard enough I totally apologize.

Thanks!

Reactions: KrankyPants
MatalicPebble said:
I am finding my skin is becoming really soft when using vaseline also known as petroleum jelly. Its rather pleasant too. This migh be because my skin needed it in my diaper area. So, here is the question....

Can you use straight up lotion and jelly for a barrier or is a powder necessary for longer periods of time?

For what it's worth. My long time SO would rub vasaline on her feet and then wear socks to bed every night for years. She was fine.

Reactions: TigerDL and MatalicPebble
quartz200420012 said:
For what it's worth. My long time SO would rub vasaline on her feet and then wear socks to bed every night for years. She was fine.
Thanks. I find it incredibly soothing to layer it up a lot and brush it until my anxiety goes away. The smooth touch is pricey, but I bought too much and decided to downright indulge.

MatalicPebble said:

I plan on wearing tomorrow and parts of next week. A trial run before I attempt 24/7 again. I will practice voiding on Saturdays to see where I am at. Plus, this will help with spotting skin problems when ever necessary. I have an area in part of my house I can be nude and no one would see me.

The reason I ask is because of 24/7 or close to it. I would be very grateful for any warnings or thoughts on continual use of creme. There are articles on this, but not exactly for side affects that are common. If I did not look hard enough I totally apologize.

Thanks!
I don't think you will incur immediate negative reactions to a barrier cream like petroleum jelly or the trademarked Vaseline®. As with anything covering your body, it is good to take breaks from using the barrier cream daily to allow your skin to breathe.

In my experience, powder is not necessary, and I do not recommend using it unless you like the scent. It can promote candida infections, so I advise you use it sparingly. Aside from that it can clog the pores of your diaper and reduce its ability to absorb rapidly.

Back to creams: some can cause leak guards to become unbonded from the diaper or cause elastics to degrade. I recommend using a thin layer sparingly, focusing on your anus and areas that may be in direct contact with liquids/solids for a prolonged time.

I remember on the show America's Next Top Model (Tyra Banks show) there was a model who coated her face in Vaseline nightly before bed. The other girls in the house got so upset with her because all the door knobs and handles in the house were slippery, haha! 🙂 I hope this helps!

Reactions: TigerJams, WABX and MatalicPebble
Incase you didn’t know, if you ever injure yourself with a cut or graze and broken the skin, clean the wound so it’s sterile. Cover it in a layer of Vaseline and you’ll see the healing process speed up a lot quicker!
I’ve always done this for grazes and cuts through the skin. Amazing stuff. Never needed to use it on my nappy area mind you…

I always use Vaseline followed by Baby Magic Lotion rather than something like Desitin to protect my diaper area.

Petroleum based products eat the glue holding your diaper together.
Depending on diaper, you could end up with fluffies and/or gel all over your diaper are.

Note: I’m 24/7 not by choice and I do not use anything in my diaper area.

KrankyPants said:
In my experience, powder is not necessary, and I do not recommend using it unless you like the scent. It can promote candida infections, so I advise you use it sparingly. Aside from that it can clog the pores of your diaper and reduce its ability to absorb rapidly.
You might want to look into a proper scientific encyclopedia before spreading wrong info.
"powder" is too generic.
There is pure talcum powder and is recommended by my GP to prevent heat rash (that or daktarin powder which contains miconazole). There is also the latest edition of J&J's "baby powder" and that contains corn starch which does cause yeast infections.

I use pure talcum powder (unscented) with every change and I didn't have a rash in months. It does not harm the skin, though it ay clog some of the skin pores at times but if you wash your skin daily it is no issue.

Because of this I didn't even have to use any rash cream at all in months, I just use some petroleum jelly for nighttime as a barrier though.

Reactions: TigerDL, MatalicPebble and iluvdps2
Don't mix any cream with talc it can granulate and cause skin problems. Vaseline is a very old brand and whilst there are newer (and more expensive) barrier creams, Vaseline is fine. Just one tip is when you use it, make sure it has been absorbed by your skin before you put a nappy on as any cream that is still wet will alter the absorbency of the nappy, so you may leak.

I was born in the mid 50's and the only thing available was vaseline, so 1000's of babies would have had it used on them.

I use emulsifying ointment (laced with dettol, for a skin condition) because it's easier to wash off than Vaseline.
Regarding the use of talc and with what PCBaby was saying, when I sometimes use normal nappy cream (for it's gentler antiseptic properties), the powdery ingredients clog my pores and are almost impossible to wash out; I then have no choice but to use the emulsifying ointment (with another nappy.... it's a hard life 🤪) in order to clear the clogged pores.
And of course, there's also the added fire risk with these products, especially when they collect on outer clothing and furnishings (it's been a thing since some dopes made such ointments trendy for 'beauty', also thereby pushing up prices for those who actually need the stuff).

Last edited:
PCBaby said:
Don't mix any cream with talc it can granulate and cause skin problems. Vaseline is a very old brand and whilst there are newer (and more expensive) barrier creams, Vaseline is fine. Just one tip is when you use it, make sure it has been absorbed by your skin before you put a nappy on as any cream that is still wet will alter the absorbency of the nappy, so you may leak.

I was born in the mid 50's and the only thing available was vaseline, so 1000's of babies would have had it used on them.
I never mix talcum powder with Vaseline, i rub the powder on the skin by hand first to dry it and then apply the Vaseline, as was done by my mother when I was young.
So that won't clot. Putting powder on rash creams on top however does cause that but i prefer it sometimes to form a barrier so The cream won't smear on the diaper too soon.

But i didn't know Vaseline dries up? Even when putting it on before bed and wiping in the morning it still feels greasy, though much less of course

the only issue I have with vasseline is it tends to dissolve adhesives like what keeps the standing leak guard bands in their curtains.

Reactions: TigerDL
If you wear vinyl plastic pants keep Vaseline away from them. It will cause them to harden and crack much like your skin oils do after a much longer period of time. I found this out in my adolescence when I used to combine Vaseline with my plastic pants for “sporting events”. Even the old Gerber plastic pants that were very tough would harden in short order much to my dismay.😢😪😭

If you are in an area where it is hot I would suggest diaper rash cream to stop rash and light amount power to protect from wetness or Sweating.

Reactions: MatalicPebble
A little caution is warranted. It can "...interfere with estrogen levels..." If that is something you may be worried about.

Also, if you have any version of a yeast infection petroleum jelly can make the symptoms worse as yeast infection thrives in moist places.

It does do a nice job softening the skin, probably should only be use only on a temporally basis.

Reactions: winterheart01 and MatalicPebble
edwardous said:
A little caution is warranted. It can "...interfere with estrogen levels..." If that is something you may be worried about.

Also, if you have any version of a yeast infection petroleum jelly can make the symptoms worse as yeast infection thrives in moist places.

It does do a nice job softening the skin, probably should only be use only on a temporally basis.
Indeed, I found that at times petroleum jelly made me wake up with a good rash at my bum while i applied a thick layer, it wasn't a yeast infection however but a heat rash and one application of a cortisone cream and it was completely gone the next morning, the next few days I apply rash cream with miconazole to make sure no yeast infection is present then I can resume the jelly.
But over here our pharmacies do not sell it under the brand "Vaseline" or "Petroleum jelly" (i mean that semi transparent plastic jar with the blue cap. Here they just fill a container to your specifics, like i always ask for a 300g jar.
Basically nowadays all medical white vaseline of good origin is pretty much the same, some are more runny than others but they do the trick.
The Petroleum jelly brand tries to pull you to them by claiming "imitations" are bad but honestly unless you're buying a china cheap imitation, you're safe :)

PCBaby said:

Sorry for the late reinstatement but now you made me curious, how long do you have to wait before vaseline usually dries up? I tried about 15 minutes but that wasn't enough. Especially not because I apply thick layers. Thin layers are useless for me.

winterheart01 said:
A heat rash and one application of a cortisone cream and it was completely gone the next morning,
I’ve continuing pain in my scrotum epidermis. It’s a candidiasis fungal infection caused by a yeast. I’m using an over-the-counter antifungal powder twice daily. An example is the Lotrimin AF Jock Itch Antifungal Powder Spray, Miconazole Nitrate 2%, available from Amazon.com. I hope a secondary bacterial infection such as a rash doesn’t develop. While I have this infection, I'll be urinating in the toilet, keeping the scrotal skin dry. Fortunately, I don’t dribble. I’m wearing 100% cotton underwear under my diaper that stays in place without any rubbing because the skin in my groin is very sore. I’m still wearing my diaper in case of an accident.

Last edited:
SeniorMan said:
I’ve continuing pain in my scrotum epidermis. It’s a candidiasis fungal infection caused by a yeast. I’m using an over-the-counter antifungal powder twice daily. An example is the Lotrimin AF Jock Itch Antifungal Powder Spray, Miconazole Nitrate 2%, available from Amazon.com. I hope a secondary bacterial infection such as a rash doesn’t develop. While I have this infection, I'll be urinating in the toilet, keeping the scrotal skin dry. Fortunately, I don’t dribble. I’m wearing 100% cotton underwear under my diaper that stays in place without any rubbing because the skin in my groin is very sore. I’m still wearing my diaper in case of an accident.
Sounds most uncomfortable; speedy recovery.

SeniorMan said:
I think you need to see your doctor for a prescription for a stronger miconazole fungal rash cream, powder is for preventing and treating light initial yeast infection. So it's not strong enough.
Washing regularly with isobetadin-wash until it's fully gone also helps to kill the bacteria and fungal spores but might hurt.

Back