Loose fit after taping tightly

ThePhotographer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
So this is something that’s been bugging me for awhile. After laying down and taping my diaper up tightly (not to much that the tapes break) the fit is perfect. After a few minutes though it feels looser and is no longer snug on me. I don’t know if it’s the plastic stretching, or maybe I’m taping up wrong but this has been an issue I have been having for a long time.
If anyone has an idea on what is causing this or how to fix the problem, let me know.

What brand diaper? With Abena M-4s getting worse all the time i find they do stretch out by mourning.

I have noticed this with northshore supremes. I can’t remember if it was on betterdry as well but I know for sure that I have had this problem with the supremes.

The problem outlined is the reason I luv Velcro type diapers, and rearz elite hybrids are my go to diaper. I can retighten as often as needed and get the perfect fit.

Reactions: DLguy23 and Ashie
This happens to me as well when i start to get up and move around not sure why myself.

Last edited:
Most likely the plastic stretching

I’ve also found that if you don’t position the diaper correctly when taping it up, it’ll always Become loose after the diaper shifts into a position on your hips that it likes

I can barely remember when my mom would put my pants on and snap the snap: she'd say "suck in your gut", I would and there it went, followed by the zipper. You could try that...

ThePhotographer said:
I have noticed this with northshore supremes. I can’t remember if it was on betterdry as well but I know for sure that I have had this problem with the supremes.
It happens on diapers that have slightly stretchy outer shells and no landing zone, like abena m4, NorthShore supreme/supreme lite, and crinklz/betterdry. It is exacerbated by having the diaper having thin tapes, which is why it happens a bit less on diapers like confidry and crinklz, and why it is noticeable on the supreme. The only solution is to maybe retape it when it gets loose, but that might not even work. The true solution is to upgrade or sidegrade to a diaper with a landing zone and strong tapes. Unfortunately, most diapers like this are abdl diapers that are thicker than you probably need and more expensive. Megamax is a possibility, but kind of overkill. Maybe a thin abdl diaper like barebum would work.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
I only really notice with cloth backed diapers - the exception being ABU's preschool's. They are fibrous and tend to stretch when pulled on. I found the Seni products to be the worst at this - although they are very comfortable, well performing products. I've found that wearing a compression brief helps tremendously as it holds everything in place - even while you move. Really good luck with that method.

But I could see that the plastic back ones with a landing zone would resist this the most as it's a different plastic and has little to no stretch to it. While I like hook/loop it makes the landing zone crazy thick/rigid which takes away from the softness IMHO. But certainly there are those who love it - and I totally see a need for it...just wish it was softer.

Last edited:
I don't have that problem at all with the diapers I wear. The Rearz InControl Elite diapers get and stay snug, zero loosening. The perfect bedtime diaper for wiggly, wriggly, sleepy little me! 🤭

I think it is normal happens to me all the time and I think the weight of the pee helps to let the diaper loose even falling a little I don’t like too, the good thing is that he Velcro one you can redo for me the best is tena because it is strong, I have never tear one trying to make thighs , tape again if gets loose, but is the that gives less trouble

Reactions: DiaperKat and BobbiSueEllen
I have this problem with Attends plastic and cloth-backed. My regular is the Attends Active and they will stretch over a couple of hours, unless I wear tight boxer shorts or onesie.

If I adjust the tapes then in a matter of minutes the tapes peel off or rip from the band.

To overcome this, I either strengthen with gaffer tape or wear something tight.

I’ll be risking it when I sleep only in a nappy with pyjamas or onesie.

I find premium brands with landing zone, the tapes eventually just give in rather than stretching. Re-taping is not possible because the adhesive is no longer as effective so then I’d be getting the white gaffer tape out...

abjimbob86 said:
To overcome this, I either strengthen with gaffer tape or wear something tight.
Does the gaffer tape have a good, solid Key Grip? Sorry, very bad Hollywood humor there... 🤭

Here in the former Colonies, we call that "Duct Tape", all the same: a strong, heavy-duty, sticky tape with cloth scrim. 🥳

BTW, props to you for being a denizen of the home of Merseybeat! 🥳🥳🥳

Reactions: abjimbob86
BobbiSueEllen said:
Does the gaffer tape have a good, solid Key Grip? Sorry, very bad Hollywood humor there... 🤭

Here in the former Colonies, we call that "Duct Tape", all the same: a strong, heavy-duty, sticky tape with cloth scrim. 🥳

BTW, props to you for being a denizen of the home of Merseybeat! 🥳🥳🥳

actually yeah! In all seriousness, though :D I was trying to think of what it’s commonly called. I just couldn’t remember and when you mentioned „duct tape“ I was like... that’s the one!

something I need to adjust to on a international forum o_O:rolleyes::geek:

I like it here but didn’t grow up here.:alien:

abjimbob86 said:
actually yeah! In all seriousness, though :D I was trying to think of what it’s commonly called. I just couldn’t remember and when you mentioned „duct tape“ I was like... that’s the one!

something I need to adjust to on a international forum o_O:rolleyes::geek:

I like it here but didn’t grow up here.:alien:
No worries at all. If that's what they call it there, we can certainly get it since using a stronger supplemental tape for big diapers would imply such a tape...whatever it's called in any given reader's native land.

You oughtta see the different types of such tape here: grey, white, black, all colors, stripes, checker...even camo and plaid! 🥰

It’s tricky. If you tape too tight often it’s counterproductive as the plastic or tapes may stretch and even pop.

Finding the right fit that is snug but not too tight is a matter of trial and error.

BobbiSueEllen said:
No worries at all. If that's what they call it there, we can certainly get it since using a stronger supplemental tape for big diapers would imply such a tape...whatever it's called in any given reader's native land.

You oughtta see the different types of such tape here: grey, white, black, all colors, stripes, checker...even camo and plaid! 🥰

where I grew up, they call it panzer tape. Panzer = Tank in German and with a Tank being strong and rigid... you know... it made sense, right?:unsure:

:cool:

PCS said:
It’s tricky. If you tape too tight often it’s counterproductive as the plastic or tapes may stretch and even pop.

Finding the right fit that is snug but not too tight is a matter of trial and error.

yes! I forgot about that. On rare occasions the part between tapes, so the plastic in the middle, will rip and expose the nappy sap. I really hate it when it does that!

abjimbob86 said:
where I grew up, they call it panzer tape. Panzer = Tank in German and with a Tank being strong and rigid... you know... it made sense, right?:unsure:

:cool:
Yep, sure does! I used that a lot on my old P&G Attends, since their three-tape system was hokey and I wanted my diapers to look as close to Pampers and as babyish as possible. 🥰

Kyma said:
The problem outlined is the reason I luv Velcro type diapers, and rearz elite hybrids are my go to diaper. I can retighten as often as needed and get the perfect fit.

Exactly what I was going to say, except I have Tykables.

Reactions: Kyma and BobbiSueEllen
Back