Not open for further replies.

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I've been searching for somewhere better to live. I might have a odd list of things I would like in a place. Something I should stress. I've never done this kind of thing before. I don't know how to best go about doing this. I just don't want to be in Texas anymore.

One. I want somewhere with possibilities. Career wise.

Two. I would like decent a rent rate.

Three. A sense of safety.

Four. Maybe somewhere with a bit of life to it. (The place I live in dies after 9 PM. There's nothing here. People have to leave town just to do something.

Five. If possible somewhere with access to diapers or adult baby supplies.

These are the guide lines I've been trying and hoping to fulfill. If this is asking too much tell me so I can just have his thread closed.

Last edited:
S

Starrunner

Hi, Kryan,
This link has a list of the ten best cities with good employment prospects and reasonable rents.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnwas...le-rents-states-for-job-seekers/#33fb2f1e3d90

A recent study found that the Midwest was the best area to live when considering employment prospects, affordable rents and quality of life. The three best cities were;
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Des Moines, Iowa

The full article is here

http://gizmodo.com/only-three-us-cities-have-good-jobs-housing-and-cultu-1781562314

Examples of available rental housing in Oklahoma City
http://www.rentalhousingdeals.com/OK/Oklahoma-City

Employment prospects/ projections in Oklahoma
http://study.com/articles/Oklahoma_...ng_Career_Opportunities_in_Oklahoma_(OK).html

Rental housing In Omaha, Nebraska
https://www.forrent.com/find/NE/metro-Omaha/price-Less+than+500

Employment trends in Omaha, Nebraska (and others)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincar...-cities-for-young-professionals/#50babce215b7

Rental housing in Des Moines, Iowa
http://www.apartmenthomeliving.com/des-moines/apartments-for-rent/cheap

Employers,, job fairs, resources, relocation info for Des Moines, Iowa
https://www.desmoinesmetro.com/en/talent_development/job_seeker_resources/

I just got these from a quick Google search looking up employment prospects, affordable rents, and quality of life. I live in Canada so I'm hoping some your American neighbours will be able to contribute some leads to your search.

This is just a start..

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maxx

Texas is a big place. Like any other state, there's a variety of environments to choose from. From an employment perspective, Texas is gaining. Places like the Democratic Peoples Republic of Illinois are losing population and jobs due primarily to the tax environment.

Adult baby supplies? This is very much a niche sport. That sort of thing is generally going to be an on-line purchase wherever you go. If you were to move somewhere because there's an actual brick 'n mortar ABDL outlet, odds are good it would close before too long. Small businesses fail more often than they succeed.

For more generally available incontinence supplies, look for an area with an aging population. That will not be the place with night life. If you want to be sure of excitement and people out and about at 3am.... 73rd and Ashland in Chicago would be the place to go.

M

Marka

The 'other' Vancouver, in the 'other' Washington, next to the 'other' Portland...

[...]
One. I want somewhere with possibilities. Career wise.

Two. I would like decent a rent rate.

Three. A sense of safety.

Four. Maybe somewhere with a bit of life to it. (The place I live in dies after 9 PM. There's nothing here. People have to leave town just to do something.

Five. If possible somewhere with access to diapers or adult baby supplies.

These are the guide lines I've been trying and hoping to fulfill. If this is asking too much tell me so I can just have his thread closed.

Not asking too much at all...! ;)

It's been around two-decades since I lived HERE yet, it really did offer many things for employment, social life and, beautiful scenery too... Portlanders (OR.) would jokingly call it a district of Portland...

With Vancouver's (WA.), historic, all American style - with influences from and, close proximity to, the culturally more diverse, downtown Portland area... there's something for everyone... from all manner of indi-music bands, arts and theater, natural preserves, city and waterfront parks, hiking, biking, walking, running... Tele-com and tech, mass-transit, shipping ports and, airports - mountains, lakes, rivers and, prairie lands and, even nearby ocean beaches too, you can live a somewhat rural life and, still be within easy reach of employment and entertainment too...

I really generally did feel quite safe all throughout these areas too... one would have to go to amazingly exceptional lengths to call unwanted attention to yourself...

A generally small-town feel yet, Mayberry it ain't...

You can find cheaper-rents and pretty acceptable room-mates too...

Use things like google-earth or maps to drop in for some street views and panoramas, land-marks and, other features...

I'm not sure what your weather is like where you live now... you might find it a bit more cold, wet and, gray for this time of year yet, the seasons are rather well defined and, offer 4 pretty decent scenery-sets every few months give or take...

I think that it would certainly be worth checking into...

If I wasn't needed where I'm at now; I would consider moving back there someday myself... FWIW...

Well, that's it for now...
-Marka

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I live in a odd desert plain area. Everyone here is either in oil or farming. The farmers are dumb as the dirt they till. Most just speak either German or Spanish. They for some reason give me a dirty look for not know what they're saying. Sorry I had tp rant for a moment. (I really hate stupid people) Back on subject. I enjoy grey weather. I find it energetic. I'm glad I posted this thread I really like the ideas coming in so far. With the limited parenting I've been given I've realized I need to find support where I can.

S

Starrunner

The YM-YWCA might have some affordable housing and employment options for people in transition. Our local Y offers affordable offers affordable housing with low monthly rates to people who are in transition.

http://www.ymcaywca.ca/Adults/housing/monthlyhousing/

Many of them also have employment offices where you can meet with counsellors to look over your skills, help with resumes and provide some leads and information around training programs. They also have tons of different workshops on how to find employment and preparing you for interviews. In addition they have free use of computers you can use and links to the best job sites for local employment. They will also photocopy any documents you need related to job searches.

http://www.ymcaywca.ca/Adults/employmentservices/yemploymentaccesscentres/

The Y could be a really good first contact in any community you're thinking of moving to, and may be able to direct you to other valuable resources as well.

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I think I might need to accelerate my plans. Things are getting worse at work. I'm not wanted there by my boss. I don't trust them anymore. Sad thing is a barely have a little over a couple grand. I'm honestly thinking I'm screwed. I'm not letting myself fall back to depression, because I'm not sure I'll came out this time.

M

Marka

I think I might need to accelerate my plans. Things are getting worse at work. I'm not wanted there by my boss. I don't trust them anymore. Sad thing is a barely have a little over a couple grand. I'm honestly thinking I'm screwed. I'm not letting myself fall back to depression, because I'm not sure I'll came out this time.

Hi, KryanAshford (may I call you Ryan?)

You can't fail unless you give up... don't surrender ;)

Have you decided where you might want to go the most?

Have you drafted up, just what you need to get started... travel expenses, etc? Other possessions could be left behind until you send for them etc...

Also - like Starrunner has mentioned about "the Y", there are a number of agencies and services, that may help you with jobs/vocational training, food and shelter options... it can be a hassle yet, your basically a refugee in a new place when you get to where you're going...

The most important thing, is going to be getting you safe and with options to grow and be healthy...

Consider not telling yourself that you are screwed instead; know that you are rightfully scared, it's a big step with many variables - that you'll figure out as you go...

I believe that you'll need to really prioritize your actual needs from your wants, for a time...

You aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before - your doing something that you haven't done before...

I've left with little more than a car, some clothes and, a few hundred dollars (déjà vu)... it may surprise you, how much you can do with $2000.00... I would make sure that it is in an account that only you can access and, don't carry that kind of cash...

Just a few thoughts for now...
Try to be patient with yourself...

-Marka

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I turned my attention to the problem with my boss. I got the outcome I wanted and can now resume the process of saving more.

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
I'll be working on a burn rate chart here soon. I'm not sure what I limit my budget to or when is time to turn the caution light green. Thankfully I don't need to rush things along anymore. I have time to look over the fact and data everyone send me. My mom knows my intent and is supporting my efforts. I need to find a place that speaks to me. I'm not sure quite yet where I want to go, but I'm only still looking.

S

Starrunner

I think you're in a good space now to take some time and keep working on this without the stress your boss has been causing you recently. Getting information, planning finances, decisions about locations and finding a place you actually like, it's all part of the process for anyone moving out on their own. I've always said that looking for adequate, affordable housing is a fulltime job in itself. The internet can be your best friend because you can just google your requirements with different locations and see what comes up. I provided a few examples of areas with affordable rents and healthy economies, but they were by no means exhaustive. I'm sure we'll come up with more. And do consider resources like the Y as well as whatever other resources are available in a community. I'm in Ontario, Canada, for example, and we have close to twenty non-profit agencies throughout the province that specialize in helping people with low income to find housing.

The general rule in planning a budget for rental costs is that you should be paying no more than 30 percent of your income on rent. However, it's not an iron clad rule and many people do go above that amount depending on their needs and priorities.You need to consider all your expenses such as food, car costs, insurance, utilities, entertainment, diapers, etc. I believe the financial assistance for rents in the US is a Section 8 program (again I'm in Canada so my knowledge is limited). There may be others depending on the state or municipality where you are seeking housing.

https://www.thebalance.com/section-8-housing-eligibility-requirements-2125017

I'm glad things are manageable in the workplace for the time being. It takes a lot of the stress off. I do think you need to stick to the plan, however, because of the ongoing conflict between you and your boss and also the fact that you've identified your unhappiness there for a very long time. There's also the fact that your current housing situation with your father has been causing a lot of stress. You need to get out on your own. We need to put an end to this circle of pain. You deserve better.

That being said, you did really well getting through the last few weeks. You're a tough survivor, always remember that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.