Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Meh never mind... I forgot I asked this before. :p

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Here are some people giving advice on where to buy one. Gamekool seems to be the favored option. I got mine from a friend when I bought his DS, and have never regretted it. I've currently got it loaded with a pack of all games that got more than 8/10 on IGN and some awesome homebrew.

Even if it's just to run homebrew, it's worth every penny. Pocket Physics and NitroTracker can keep me entertained close to forever.

Wzrd

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
I get mine from realhotstuff.com. I have ordered 5 from there so far

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover

It's a flash card that you can put a micro SD memory card into so you can play homebrew stuff on your Nintendo DS. It's also been known to be used to pirate Nintendo DS games. However I doubt the creators designed it for that purpose.

It's fairly easy to use though.

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It's a flash card that you can put a micro SD memory card into so you can play homebrew stuff on your Nintendo DS. It's also been known to be used to pirate Nintendo DS games. However I doubt the creators designed it for that purpose.

It's fairly easy to use though.

To be completely honest, I think is was made primarily with the intent to allow for pirating copyrighted NDS games. I don't think there's really that much money in homebrew. It would just be a very bad idea for the manufacturer to admit that. Last I heard, Nintendo were trying to shut them down anyway.

Oh, and I too find it easy to use. I'd go as far as saying very easy. You basically just drag-and-drop the software onto the micro DS and it works right away (with a few exceptions).

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
To be completely honest, I think is was made primarily with the intent to allow for pirating copyrighted NDS games. I don't think there's really that much money in homebrew. It would just be a very bad idea for the manufacturer to admit that. Last I heard, Nintendo were trying to shut them down anyway.

Oh, and I too find it easy to use. I'd go as far as saying very easy. You basically just drag-and-drop the software onto the micro DS and it works right away (with a few exceptions).

There's no way Nintendo can shut these down, it's legally not just not possible. Also they aren't illegal anywhere yet I heard. But i am willing to bet the prime reason for these are to help pirate NDS games. Of course there's some problems with doing that.

1.Your making steal games for the DS really easy.
2. That then drives down sales.
3. companys produce less and less games for the DS due to decrease in sales.
4. nintendo stops making nintendo DS units since no one is buying games for it anymore and few companies will make games for it.

This whole thing is why I still buy stuff I like to avoid a situation like this. I hope all video game pirates do the same, but I know some of them don't. We might not have to worry about a company like Sqaure Enix going down but a company like the one that made Indigo Prophecy and Hard Rain (coming to PS3) is rather small. Plus they don't have a bit fanbase yet, though they do have a small devoted one.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Well I ordered the R4DS with a 2 gig MicroSD card from gamekool. It cost 24.80 and that includes the shipping. Hopefully it works.

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Well, I'm too late, but I was going to suggest buying a M3 Real (Not M3 Simply) or CycloDS due to the future proof SDHC and for pirates, the fact that a lot of game companies are targeting R4 and it's clones specifically, requiring you to patch more and more games.
At least this can be a reminder to people who are looking at this thread later on.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Well, I'm too late, but I was going to suggest buying a M3 Real (Not M3 Simply) or CycloDS due to the future proof SDHC and for pirates, the fact that a lot of game companies are targeting R4 and it's clones specifically, requiring you to patch more and more games.
At least this can be a reminder to people who are looking at this thread later on.

I haven't heard of it being much of a problem and even then all the older games will still work perfectly fine.

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover

That apparently happened with Chrono Trigger. The game started and played fine, but then people with R4s go stuck in an endless effect sequence at the same place. It didn't take long for somebody to release a fixed version though.

I don't think they'll be more successful at stopping NDS piracy than PC piracy. People (or release groups) will patch and crack their games if they need to, as a lot do on other systems already.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Well the R4DS I got from Gamekool worked. Though it takes a bit of effort to pull it out of the DS.

Last edited:

miles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I haven't heard of it being much of a problem and even then all the older games will still work perfectly fine.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Sonic RPG, GTA China Town, and a lot of games that make use of the Arm7 processor have been known to have issues and need patching.

Besides, right now buying an R4 is just asking to get a fake.
Not to mention there are newer and better cards out for around the same price or less.

R4 is still a good card, and if you already own one and it works fine there is no reason to upgrade, but for people who have yet to buy a card, it's kind of silly to go out of the way to find a real one that probably costs a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.