• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Local Wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Just curious as to what kinds of wildlife inhabit your locality. Even if you're in an urban area there can be some kinds of wild critters (besides rats :eek:) roaming about. In our area there's an abundance of deer wandering through our property. We also have rabbits, squirrels, black and copper head snakes, a couple different varieties of lizards, and this year, a small box turtle has taken up residence in our back yard, feeding on the wild strawberries. Occasionally, I've seen a red or grey fox, opossum, or skunk scoot across our driveway when coming home late at night.

Won't even touch on birds since there's so many kinds of birds in our area, though I'm partial to the little gold finches flitting about.

What kinds of critters call where you live "home"?

~Pramrider

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Moose, deer, black bears, brown bears, foxes, squirrels, ect.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Birds...Squirrels...Rabbits sometimes...Deer up the ass...Ducks/Geese sometimes...Sometimes bats...Turtles...

Lightning

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Pheasants, Rabbits, Herons, Bats, Squirrels and our neighbours' cat.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I live in the country and I have seen just about everything on or near my property, deer constantly, bear occasionally, snakes once and awhile, chipmunks, squirrls(red and grey) turkeys and other fowl now and then.

I like having all these different animals roaming on or near my place.....I like the country much better than in town living.

The worse thing I get is snow lots of it, I hate snow!

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Squirrels, deer, some birds, I hear there are bats but I've never seen them. Oh, and snakes.

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Lots and lots of rabbits and seagulls. At night there's the occasional hedgehog. I name all of them Sonic.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Lot's of wildlife here, coyote's, deer, moose, ducks, all kinds of birds, turkey's, foxes, bears, partridge, feral cats, possibly sasquatch. And if you count in marine life, we have just about all kinds of freshwater fishes

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
lizards, rodents, birds (DUH!) fish (DUH again!) variety of insects and some feral cats though they aren't much of a problem.

MixyNyxi

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Hmm...A fair amount of deer that freak me out when I'm driving at night. Birds, squirrels, insects (a lot more out now in the summer ewww...), and various other small, furry mammals.

Role
Private
Possums, snakes, bats, a variety of insects, sometimes Koalas in the bushland behind me, spiders, galahs, cockatoos, emus, cockatiels, kookaburras, lorikeets, kingfisher (more toward the bay-side) magpies, owls and a whole range of native birds, cane toads as well as some native amphibious creatures (mostly frogs, some fish as well), blue-tongued lizard, goanna... and some other stuff, I'm sure.

Lowie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Carer
Deer, Moose, foxes, wolves, coyotes, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, hares, geese, toads, frogs, too many insects, beavers, and more. Thats just all I can remember xD

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I live on the edge of a urban area of a good size city (400,000 ) and there is plenty of wildlife here.
We see lots of birds, the big ones are: bald eagles, herons, hawks, sea gulls, mallard ducks, crows and the occasional raven, too many little birds to list.

Animals on foot include: squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, and the odd bear.

There are a lot of frogs living in and around the ponds on the little creek running down my property. I am working on rehabilitating that piece of creek and soon I hope to have some salmon in there too.

We have a group of bats that live under the eaves on the east side of my house, they leave for the winter and return every year.

The domesticated animals here include: 3 dogs, 8 cats, 80 chickens, 12 turkeys, 25 muscovy ducks, 2 miniature horses, a hive of bees, a cockatiel, and 2 love birds.

Role
Diaper Lover
Uhh... Squirrels, an occasional possum, lots of dogs, and wild parrots.

The canals host a variety of life... There's turtles, alligator gar, plus ducks and storks that wade in the shallow water. There was even an alligator in a canal the other day.

closet dl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
As much as Norway reminds me of Alaska, I find it to be very different when it comes to wildlife. It is rugged regarding the terrain, but it is not "wild" like Alaska. So far, we have seen a few snakes, only one type of which is poisonous (called a hoggorm). My wife actually picked one up and was playing with it and was not bit (yes, I scoffed at her careless move!)

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Birds...Squirrels...Rabbits sometimes...Deer up the ass...Ducks/Geese sometimes...Sometimes bats...Turtles...
POJO - Deer up the ASS? I've heard of the gerbil thing, but a deer? Was it a fawn or a full grown antlered buck? (talk about your rectal stimulation!)

Seriously, we've had mountain lion and cubs on the hill behind the house for the sixth year running, probably because we have so many deer on the property. Seen just about every thing on our 6 acres: Elk, Coyote, Bobcat, Red Fox, Beaver, Muskrat, Wood Rat, Black Bear (Love the fruit on our fruit trees) Mud Turtles, Raccoons, Opossums, Turkeys, California Quail, Kingfisher, Mallards, Canadian Geese, Owls, Bald and Golden Eagles, Osprey and Fish Hawks.

All this on our remote wooded mountain property with a year round creek running through it. :bunny:

Last edited:

PostTenebrasLux

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I recently though of creating a thread about wildlife sitings, but Pramrider has it covered, I think.

Where I currently live is rather urban, though I've seen quite a few turkeys. I also observed some strange group behavior in the squirrels, which aren't supposed to be 'herd' animals... Anyone have an explanation for a gang of 15 to 20 squirrels running through the streets like a school of fish?

There are also a pair of small hawks I've been watching for the past year or so. I think they're either sharp-shinned or cooper's hawks--can't tell the difference.

And Ace, could you get us some pics of sasquatch? I wonder if there are any crypto-animals in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.