Live Events Notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Is there a way to have some sort of Live Feed on top where you get the FlashChat?

I.e like:
LIVE EVENTS:
  • Skype (With link to topic for info and who to talk to and time)
  • Radio (With link to radio and PM to who ever is DJ-ing for request and help if there is trouble playing it)
  • And What ever else is happening
Just a thought.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Hmmmm.

I could probably put a notice there... but other people would need to supply the text for the notice.

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I got something else to say but I can't explain it.

Maybe if you can have only certain users that are hosting it change it cos don't think we want everyone changing it.

Can we have a little beta maybe.

For example:
For Skype we/you could put:
Next event will be Saturday 7pm (GMT+1) Host: Martin (with link to PM)
For ADISC Radio could put:
Off line due to maintaining work on th server. Host: Drew (with link to PM)

I hate it when I can't explain very well.

Last edited:

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Have you considered posting an event on the calender? Doing that would make the event show up for everyone on the forum homepage... up to two weeks in advance of the event.

Other options for announcing stuff :
* If there is a bunch of stuff to announce at once, I could send out a mass email to everyone ( a newsletter) with the news in it.
* If you want to announce something, post a thread on it and then ask me to move that thread to the announcements/news forum. You can reply to your own threads there, just not anyone else's threads. Other people can setup an instant (or daily/weekly) email subscription to your thread via the thread tools menu, so when you post a reply to the thread, they get an email about it. This is a great way to keep people updated on mini-projects, as it effectively lets you create your own email lists composed of ADISC users who want to hear your announcements. * I'm investigating ways of displaying some sort of shoutbox or freely-editable text area on the chat pages, like an IRC topic, which people could edit to add community news to.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
For example:
For Skype we/you could put:
Next event will be Saturday 7pm (GMT+1) Host: Martin (with link to PM)
For ADISC Radio could put:
Off line due to maintaining work on th server. Host: Drew (with link to PM)

I hate it when I can't explain very well.
Could also put the Skype time for some of the main time zones [GMT, EST, whatever most people use] - would stop any confusion =P

Overall good idea :thumbsup:

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
EST = GMT -5
CET = GMT -6
pacific (I think that's MST) = GMT -8
Mainland Europe = GMT +1
And a few in Australia. (+8 and +9 I think could also be +7 and +8)

Role
Private
Australia is anywhere between +8 to +11

It generally breaks down into

+8 Perth (Western Australia)
+9:30 Darwin (Northern Territory), Adelaide (South Australia)
+10 Brisbane (Queensland), Canberra (ACT), Sydney (NSW), Melbourne (Victoria), Hobart (Tasmania)
+11 East Coast (Sydney, Melbourne) in daylight savings.

If you want a primary time zone, it'll probably be best to use the +10, as the majority of the population lives on the East Coast.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
What about daylight savings time to add to the confusion? just point to a link to an online time converter. I would :p.

Role
Private
Well, DST is normally only an hour in front or behind. If people find it hard to go back or forward an hour, then I think there is something wrong with the education system. =P

If you want to use an Australian time standard, you might as well use "+10 Brisbane". We don't observe daylight savings, so it's +10 all year round. This would help avoid confusion, as I'm sure people in other states would know that if they roll their clocks forward they are in +11, so they should compensate the extra hour.

Not a biased opinion just because I live in Brisbane. >_< It just makes sense to use because it's consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.