"Littles" with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

Leio said:
Yeah... I've heard that about many people.... a lot of people get diagnosed in the process of getting help for other mental health issues. I do believe that my autism is at the root of many of the mental health issues that I've had

I don't really need a whole lot of support in terms of the autism... but it's just sometimes nice to know why I think and feel the way I do.

I got the correct diagnosis of being on the Autism Spectrum after a mental healthcare crisis a week after my 47th Birthday.
Typical of us of the "older generation" who muddled through childhood and early adulthood in the 1960's and 1970's without knowing why we were having social functioning difficulties, etc.
Getting diagnosed at age 47 answered a lot of questions regarding why I was different without never knowing why.
One of the members of my former church down in Pelham, NH got officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at age 64 not long ago. He is a Software Engineer.

Oh i KNOW ALL my Ord (ie MBD ,ADHD & now ASD with ALL the not so pleasant side diagnosis chances or hopes i might have had of having normal life have COMPLEATLY managed to destroy what chances i might have had for normal life (bacikly i was doomed from birth just dident know it 😢)

caitianx said:
Typical of us of the "older generation" who muddled through childhood and early adulthood in the 1960's and 1970's without knowing why we were having social functioning difficulties, etc.

Yeah i agree back then they dident know diddly about either of this cind of diagnosis

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't find out I had Asperger's until I was 38. I got my official diagnosis when I was 39. When I found out, it was like a whole bunch of puzzle pieces falling into place.

Reactions: rainbowrudy
Yeah i agree since i got my ASD diagnose and FINALLY also understand my original (from birth ) MBD = Minimal brain damage diagnose (were most of my side diagnoses arrive from actually Incl ADHD /ASD etc... All the pices of my ME puzzle finally fall to place something not even the pro`s manage to figure out (MOST of my side diagnosis i found my self to have as the pros clearly stated that i have MULTIPLE diagnosis yet to be discovered but the ods of finding them all is non existing. So they have all resigned in trying to find more . And even to this day i still find new Diagnosis that fits in with said Medical criterias (just to MBD there are roughly 100 side diagnosis alone ) so LOTS to still discover im shore

Aspie69 said:
I didn't find out I had Asperger's until I was 38. I got my official diagnosis when I was 39. When I found out, it was like a whole bunch of puzzle pieces falling into place.

That is usually how it is for us older adults on the Autism Spectrum who never were diagnosed as children.
We just "muddle through", until something happens, then we finally get told later in life that we have always been developmentally disabled since birth.
I was described as MBD - "Minimal Brain Damage" in childhood.
Since 2003, I have been no longer able to work or be employed, and I used to be a Senior Electronics Engineering Technician.
Plus, with my Mild Cerebral Palsy, my mobility "crashed" and I can no longer walk without Loftstrand Crutches.
Last year was tough, with me having to perform a massive amount of heavy lifting despite my CP when I had to assist my younger brother with downsizing and moving into where I am living now.
I am happy here.
Nice helpful neighbors.
Near to medical care, shopping, etc.
The plan is for me to "age in place" here in the community where I have friends to not be lonely.
As one ages, one needs a support network.
Too many of us disabled end-up "isolated", which is not good for our emotional health.

Reactions: pd8615, Deleted member 47221, Deleted member 44276 and 1 other person
I even crashed before you my friend as i got my permanent Sick disability pension 2000 & was a Long haul truck driver (turned out i couldn't cope that well with 16 + Hoers / DAY 5 days week go figure huh ;)

All jokes a side yes sadly that is the fate for OH so many of us im afraid 😢

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rentistic
Hello there, another person on the spectrum here, started suspecting in 2014 and was assessed late 2016 aged 53. One of the cohort Sarah Hendrickx teases gently with the label of the "Feral Autistics", the ones which made it through life on our wits, winging it here, perhaps a few ears notched like old tom cats but made it none the less. I am in similar line to yours Caitianx, electronic engineer in alarge organisation with enough other feral autistics that none of us stands out particuarly, and I also have my little side business as an electrician / walking wiring regulations book. Sarah is a very good speaker on the subject, also an experienced trainer working in industry and occasionaly the criminal justice system, and does non clinical assessments which are useful for us old ferals who really need the confirmation about our profiles and once we have that we can drop back into engineer mode and work out a few more work rounds and the like.

I am a sucker for whole body pressure, curled up around a large stuffed toy like my Daddy Bear or in my pushchair in its five point harness.

ElectricalEngineer said:
Hello there, another person on the spectrum here, started suspecting in 2014 and was assessed late 2016 aged 53. One of the cohort Sarah Hendrickx teases gently with the label of the "Feral Autistics", the ones which made it through life on our wits, winging it here, perhaps a few ears notched like old tom cats but made it none the less. I am in similar line to yours Caitianx, electronic engineer in alarge organisation with enough other feral autistics that none of us stands out particuarly, and I also have my little side business as an electrician / walking wiring regulations book. Sarah is a very good speaker on the subject, also an experienced trainer working in industry and occasionaly the criminal justice system, and does non clinical assessments which are useful for us old ferals who really need the confirmation about our profiles and once we have that we can drop back into engineer mode and work out a few more work rounds and the like.

I am a sucker for whole body pressure, curled up around a large stuffed toy like my Daddy Bear or in my pushchair in its five point harness.
Good Evening and Welcome to this long-duration conversation thread, ElectricalEngineer!
Yes.
I classify myself as a "Feral" autistic.
I retired early, due to my Cerebral Palsy and issues with Autism.
I could no longer cope with employment.
Yes.
I "Burned-Out".
But I still tinker.
Presently tinkering with the Arduino UNO Microcontroller Board programmed in C++.
Next month, as I said, I will be 61.
More and more of us "Feral" autistics who muddled through life until getting disgnosed late in life are "coming out of the woodwork" to use the old tired cliche.

Hi y'all was part of the group father of a daughter with Asperger's I have urinary IC walked in my bedroom and my daughter was checking out my diapers, she knows that I am IC. Asked her if she was curious finally after several minutes she said yes then left the room. I told her it was okay to be curious

jasonm03 said:
Hi y'all was part of the group father of a daughter with Asperger's I have urinary IC walked in my bedroom and my daughter was checking out my diapers, she knows that I am IC. Asked her if she was curious finally after several minutes she said yes then left the room. I told her it was okay to be curious
Interesting.
Curiosity regarding Dad needing to wear diapers like a baby.

I'm under enormous stress. My mothers second diagnosis of cancer; and she is also forcing me to take a college degree, with threats of self harm. I don't need a degree, I have 20 years of experience and run a successful multi million dollar business that I've been slowly building. I mean a few years ago it wasn't doing to well, but its very good now. So anyways, the degree, only half fits what I do, or what I am interested in. The rest of it is math. I can tell you in 20 years I have not used 5% of all the math I have taken so far. Re-taking one of these math classes that I failed and I'm still not doing well in it. So if I don't pass it then I can't get this degree and the 5 years now that I have spent and lost business productivity and personal life over is in jeopardy not to mention that my mother is threatening to harm herself if I don't get the degree. I don't want the degree, I just want to build my business further but college is such a hamper. I've already lost so much. Homework that is due that I don't know how to do made me so distraught that I ended up tearing the book then bashing my head with something. lots of blood. I'll get it looked at because its pretty bad, I'll have to try and hide it. I don't know what to do.

MickeyM said:
I'm under enormous stress. My mothers second diagnosis of cancer; and she is also forcing me to take a college degree, with threats of self harm. I don't need a degree, I have 20 years of experience and run a successful multi million dollar business that I've been slowly building. I mean a few years ago it wasn't doing to well, but its very good now. So anyways, the degree, only half fits what I do, or what I am interested in. The rest of it is math. I can tell you in 20 years I have not used 5% of all the math I have taken so far. Re-taking one of these math classes that I failed and I'm still not doing well in it. So if I don't pass it then I can't get this degree and the 5 years now that I have spent and lost business productivity and personal life over is in jeopardy not to mention that my mother is threatening to harm herself if I don't get the degree. I don't want the degree, I just want to build my business further but college is such a hamper. I've already lost so much. Homework that is due that I don't know how to do made me so distraught that I ended up tearing the book then bashing my head with something. lots of blood. I'll get it looked at because its pretty bad, I'll have to try and hide it. I don't know what to do.

Sounds like your Mom is a control freak.
It also sounds like she is not all there upstairs between her ears.

Hi I'm on the spectrum too.
When I started school there were definitely some red flags but I had decent social skills so I slipped under the radar.
Later on in adolescence I developed problems with anxiety and depression when I saw a counselor I got diagnostic impressions for depression and Asperger's.
Years later I had recurrent episodes of depression after seeking help I was official diagnosed with Major Depression and Asperger's. (shortly before the DSM changed it to autism spectrum disorder)

stareegirl said:
Hi I'm on the spectrum too.
When I started school there were definitely some red flags but I had decent social skills so I slipped under the radar.
Later on in adolescence I developed problems with anxiety and depression when I saw a counselor I got diagnostic impressions for depression and Asperger's.
Years later I had recurrent episodes of depression after seeking help I was official diagnosed with Major Depression and Asperger's. (shortly before the DSM changed it to autism spectrum disorder)
Good Evening stareegirl!
Welcome to the group of Autistic Littles!
Anyway, let us mention our special interests, and also how long we all have been "Littles" as adults.

Me:
Disability Civil Rights Activism
Backyard Astronomy
Tinkering with Electronics
Sci-Fi and Japanese Anime

I have officially been a "Little" since 1987.

I ordered a new laptop a couple of weeks ago. I received it a week later. Now I can play Pokemon randomizer as often as I want. But I'm still trying to get a seed working for Fire Red.

I try to bring it to work, however carrying it in my backpack is hell on my shoulders and back. I would carry it in my arms but I'm afraid I might drop it.

Last edited:
Back