• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Ok so I am trying to get more familiar with Linux. While I was looking at all the linux os I could play with I picked out 4 that I would like. Wanted to know what you think about them?

Open SUSE
PC Linux OS
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Debian

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Open SUSE
PC Linux OS
Haven't used these.
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Debian
Ubuntu and Kubuntu are really the same distribution, except they have a different default desktop environment. You can actually install one inside the other by installing either ubuntu-desktop or kubuntu-desktop packages respectively.

Also, these are both based on Debian, which use the same package manager. I'd recommend trying Ubuntu. But, just learning the GUI won't make you a *nix guru.

If you're really looking for a learning experience, I'd recommend Gentoo or Arch Linux. Then maybe LFS if you're feeling particularly hardcore. In either case, Ubuntu is at least a good start for getting your feet wet. And, it's not that you can't become a *nix guru, it's just that Ubuntu doesn't force you to learn very much.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
I have played with Ubuntu a few times. Kinda like it. But I was going to try Open SUSE. But I went ahead and downloaded Gentoo just for the heck of it. Only have 2 hours left on the download. Grr I hate my internet

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]I would reccomend Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS. Ubuntu is supposed to be easy for many users (haven't bothered with it myself, I don't like GNOME, I prefer KDE).

PCLinuxOS is the easiest to transition to from Windows. It's my favorite distro aswell. It's literally foolproof. You can install it without reformatting windows if you follow the instructions on the website. It is also really good for compatibility. I have had 4 laptops and 2 desktops run Linux. From the LiveCD, every single hardware component ran (except for one stupid wireless adapter which barely ran even on Windows).

However it's one disadvantage, is it's easiest the least popular distro on the list, so for some less popular applications, your either going to have to compile it yourself or give the Mandrake/Mandriva RPMs a go (they work about 80% of the time).
[/font]

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
If you're really looking for a learning experience, I'd recommend Gentoo or Arch Linux. Then maybe LFS if you're feeling particularly hardcore. In either case, Ubuntu is at least a good start for getting your feet wet. And, it's not that you can't become a *nix guru, it's just that Ubuntu doesn't force you to learn very much.
It's because of this that Ubuntu has become so popular to those who take the plunge into Linux. I know, because Ubuntu is what got me away from Windows way back on 6.06! Ubuntu doesn't force you to learn much, but the doors are there for you to walk through if you want, which is phenomenal. Ubuntu is a great place to start off your Linux learning.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It's because of this that Ubuntu has become so popular to those who take the plunge into Linux. I know, because Ubuntu is what got me away from Windows way back on 6.06! Ubuntu doesn't force you to learn much, but the doors are there for you to walk through if you want, which is phenomenal. Ubuntu is a great place to start off your Linux learning.
Oh I totally agree. This is, after all, a good thing. But I know that baby_mike has been working on some tech support type things, and so I thought it might be good for him to get more technical background with Linux, that's all.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Oh no, I wasn't downing you at all! Sorry if it came off that way :p. While he's at it, he should also try Solaris, Fedora, Red Hat, and HeliOS (not all at once, of course :p).

Bryce

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I would suggest you get Ubuntu to start out with and then Arch Linux. They're based off the same base system, but Arch is compiled more to your system. It looks hard to compile/install, but it's not if you read the documentation, which is GOD. Check out Archlinux.org and ask some questions there. It's real helpful.

Role
Private
If you're really looking for a learning experience, I'd recommend Gentoo or Arch Linux. Then maybe LFS if you're feeling particularly hardcore. In either case, Ubuntu is at least a good start for getting your feet wet.
Pffft. My first experience with Linux was in 1995 with Slackware, installed from about 10 floppies. Back when Linux couldn't guarantee it wouldn't fry your video card with a bad X configuration.

(Uphill both ways!) But I digress...

If you're looking for a good *nix experience, I would recommend FreeBSD. I find its ports system insanely good and no-nonsense. And, of course, FreeBSD is built for performance (as opposed to OpenBSD, built for security).

If you want to stick to Linux proper, you should work with a couple different distributions to get your feet wet. I'd recommend:
  • Knoppix
  • RedHat
  • Debian
  • Gentoo
  • Suse

That should give you reasonable exposure to different system layouts, package management, and System V compliance.

Okay, this is somewhat esoteric - here's some more immediate advice:
  1. Join a local Linux Users' Group (LUG)
  2. Pick up some issues of Linux Journal
  3. X (Windows) is a good thing, but learn your way around the Command-Line Interface (CLI) - it's powerful!

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Well today when my mom came home she brought in the mail. I got a Kubuntu 8.10 disk that I forgot I had requested. I installed it on my desktop and I have to say I like it. Works very well.

How would I go about getting a flash player for Kubuntu 8.10

Last edited by a moderator:

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
How would I go about getting a flash player for Kubuntu 8.10
[font="Calibri,Arial"]If you are using Firefox (and on Linux you should be. Opera is pretty poor on Linux compared to the Windows version and don't get me started on Konqueror), just click Install Missing plugins when you go to your first flash video. In fact, you may already have Flash.[/font]

kapi

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I would suggest you get Ubuntu to start out with and then Arch Linux. They're based off the same base system, but Arch is compiled more to your system. It looks hard to compile/install, but it's not if you read the documentation, which is GOD. Check out Archlinux.org and ask some questions there. It's real helpful.
Wait, Arch was inspired by CRUX and has nothing in common with Debian or Ubuntu, except that its also linux. A completely different distribution (which I love btw, great ports-like package management, still very easy and lean. CRUX or Gentoo arent that user friendly imho. )
I started with Arch after trying Ubuntu for a very short time. Its fine if you just want to use it, but I looked for a more custom solution after years of windows.

/e and you dont have to compile a thing to install Arch. Its a binary distribution for x86_64 or i686.

So my recommendations would be Arch, probably Ubuntu if you like that approach or maybe Fedora (RedHat) as an alternative. I'll test it on my mothers PC instead of Debian soon.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
[font="Calibri,Arial"]If you are using Firefox (and on Linux you should be. Opera is pretty poor on Linux compared to the Windows version and don't get me started on Konqueror), just click Install Missing plugins when you go to your first flash video. In fact, you may already have Flash.[/font]
I have Konqueror at the moment and it completely sucks. I will download firefox when I use my desktop again. And im pretty sure I dont have a flash player because when I went to youtube it said you may have your flash player disable or need to install on.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I have Konqueror at the moment and it completely sucks. I will download firefox when I use my desktop again. And im pretty sure I dont have a flash player because when I went to youtube it said you may have your flash player disable or need to install on.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

With a plain install of ubuntu, it won't have Flash on it be default. And you have to do a 'manual' install if you try to use the "install missing plugins". Which isn't exactly straight forward as double clicking on linux for the newbie.

But if you follow that link, its all just one command. Thank goodness for package managers :p.

baby_mike

Est. Contributor
Role
Ok having a little trouble.

Set Show: to All available applications--------GOT STUCK HERE.
I can not find "Set Show"
When I click "view" at the top nothing drops down.

BTW I have Kubuntu 8.10

Is virus protection needed for linux?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think most viruses are designed for Windows, no?

I don't even use an anti-virus on Windows, I learned to simply remain careful online.

Status
Not open for further replies.