• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Linksys WRT110 Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
I've found the answer to your prayers. Tired of having to put up with dropped connections, lousy speeds and whatnot?

If anyone has this router and experiences these problems, please post in this thread and I will help you out.

Role
Private
I've found the answer to your prayers. Tired of having to put up with dropped connections, lousy speeds and whatnot?

If anyone has this router and experiences these problems, please post in this thread and I will help you out.
... this may get better views over in the Computers section of the board.

Is it a firmware update, or flashing an image onto it?

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
Are you a Linksys salesman? :p
No but I am an owner of the router in question, and after taking notice that many others have been having problems ( Just about 75% of the people who have bought this router ) I am trying to help people out. I have tinkered with it and discovered a solution.

I am however, a certified computer technician. ( Hardware and Software, E.G., Windows XP/Vista and 2000/ME, and stuff like Video Cards and Modems, and Routers of course. ) :educate:

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
Yes it includes a Firmware update and changing some settings on the router ( Such as adding a WEP key ) which few people know that adding a WEP key helps to sustain your connection due to the increased amount of stability in your network ( meaning that your computer knows exactly where to send the signal to )

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Why would you tell them to use WEP? :p Shouldn't they be using something more like WPA2 with AES?

Anyway, what about DD-WRT? That's what I'd be using. But for now I'm content to be wired.

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
Why would you tell them to use WEP? :p Shouldn't they be using something more like WPA2 with AES?

Anyway, what about DD-WRT? That's what I'd be using. But for now I'm content to be wired.
This router doesn't support DD-WRT. That is why I am posting this. I have seen a few people brick their routers by uploading DD-WRT.. >.<

WEP is fine for me, really though, I haven't tried the others... Usually use WEP when setting up a network for a customer because its simple.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Ah, bummer. Well, the problem with WEP is that someone with a tool like aircrack-ng can gain access to your network pretty quickly heheh.

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
Ah, bummer. Well, the problem with WEP is that someone with a tool like aircrack-ng can gain access to your network pretty quickly heheh.
To be honest, I haven't thought of that. I might need to take some Networking classes... >.<

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

M

Mako

WEP has been standard in linksys (and pretty much all routers) for quite some time, and it's not really secure at all. WEP is pretty easy to crack.
I'm not as knowledgeable with new black linksys wrt's, but the old WRT54 series and BEF's were pretty average. Though the former could be quite a bit more useful with homebrew firmware.

Personally I use a D-Link, I have a personal bias against linksys when forced to deal with their tech support, as they're dumb as bricks.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I've had a WAP54G, ever since the storm we had, it's been acting up. And during it's final moments of its life (It was getting Really Really Unstable, E.I. Worked no longer than 30 seconds without a 1 minute reset cycle). Given it's limited memory, I though giving it the mini version of WRT-G would be a gamble. And now folks, it's bricked and a burnt out compent (not due to firmware, but became apparent in it's last few weeks of its life).

Will I get one again? I don't know. Probably will. But even then the Linksys firmware was a little buggy in the first place. And I get it years ago, so I don't know how things have changed.

Personally, I'm all for wired, even with 100Mbit, rather than going towards 'n' with what 480Mbit shared between all local nodes? Bah, I like my dedicated 100Mbit, if you buy a decent switch. It only becomes a bummer when sending large files across.

As for WEP, It's ridiculous. I'm sure every computer nerd has tried and tested it. Takes less than a minute in ideal conditions. Most routers (at least supplied by ISPs) come with WEP on it and a little sticker on the side with the code. That will just make most people happy. WPA2 with 'RADIUS' ftw. But a Shared Key should be more than enough really. It's only if you want to track multiple users access. And you can give and take temporary access as and when you need too.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Why not just buy a new and better router?

The company I work for is now selling Business class wireless routers manufactured by Engenius Technologies for home use on E-bay. These routers offer triple the range of comparable products made by Linksys and Netgear and are bargain priced.

We have 802.11b/g routers for under $50... and 802.11b/g/n ones for under $75. Just let me know if you are interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.