Limited Access??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello_Kitty

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
I really think it is kinda screwed up that I get downgraded to a "lurker" just because I haven't been posting much.

I got this message: "Your access to the site is limited because you aren't posting much. Post more and you'll get better access."

I have been super busy and not to mention my internet has been fading in and out for the past week and half and no technician has come to fix it!
So in my time of moving, getting a job, and taking care of other people in my life, I got docked. Gee Thanks. I thought my status would stay the same considering I don't spend all my days and nights on the forums. I have a life ya know.

I did my time. I earned the posts and other stuff that I had. Why should my status be taken away from me just because I am having a busy and very hectic time in my life.

I really think you should let people stay at the status they are at despite how absent they have been lately.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well the whole point is to keep people active. Whats the point of having people post their 10 posts or whatnot to get their desired status, then just quit posting.

And saying "I did my time" kinda makes it seem like you look at posting as a punishment, just a requirement to lurk... So I guess the lurker status would be good for you.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Your status will go back in just a few posts...It's not like it's down forever...And you won't go from lurker to member, to regular...You'll go from lurker, to regular...It's not really that big of a deal...

Avocadoy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, there would be active, and then active against one's will.

Reason why I refrain from posting in most threads, is I usually won't have anything relevant to contribute to said thread.

I post, I make threads, just not as much as one would classify as "Active". Being classified as a lurker makes me feel dirty though.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
See Hello_Kitty...You made like one post, and you are already back to regular...It really isn't something to freak out about

G

gamebaby

yea the point is to talke to people like yourself. so if you cant get on and you are bussy i think your right

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I think it's stupid, I didn't post for maybe a week or so and all of a sudden I can't reply to public threads, look at any profiles (including my own to see *when* I posted last...) or even look at the member list. Sometimes members don't post every day, and I don't think we should be punished for that.

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I keep hearing problems from several people about this.

Maybe we should remove the feature?

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
The activity requirement is 1 posts in 2 weeks. If you don't make that many posts no big deal, just post one post, wait up to an hour and you can do anything you did before.

I don't see why everyone keeps making a fuss out of this.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I think people need to just stop feeling so attacked when they get changed to lurker and read why it happened. There's no shame in the title, it just means you're busy. Or, crazily enough, a lurker!

On the other hand, being moved to lurker shouldn't have such a drastic drain on your privileges.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
The activity requirement is 1 posts in 2 weeks. If you don't make that many posts no big deal, just post one post, wait up to an hour and you can do anything you did before.

I don't see why everyone keeps making a fuss out of this.
The reason it keeps coming back is that it lands most heavily on the people who are the least plugged in to the day to day changes on the site. It's not a friendly or welcoming feature. I understand our desire to have active members, and it works to defeat the person who does the absolute minimum required to become a regular and then just lurks. Obviously I don't have the stats on that behavior, but I wonder if it's worth the hassle of the fix?

If I went away for a bit, I'd know what to expect, although I'd still find it a bit annoying. I'd guess there are some people who were only occasional users and came back to find themselves demoted and just decide to give up and move along without saying anything.

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I think the major problem is that it seems as if we are punishing our less active members. You don't use revokation of privaleges as a way to encourage activity. That is negative reenforcement and it is frustrating a lot of people.

"Welcome to ADISC, post regularly or lose the ability to PM your friends, view profiles, reply to threads, etc."

Is this the kind of message we want to send?

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
Until it happens to you.

Not everyone can post, then wait a freakin hour for their privaleges to come back so they can PM someone.

Can we put this new "system" to a popular vote or something? I have a feeling it has a lot more opponents than supporters.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If we keep this, I think we should at least have it so you don't have to wait an hour...

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
If we keep this, I think we should at least have it so you don't have to wait an hour...
Instead of an hour, maybe we can have it at around like 15 mins or something.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
The reason you have to wait for an hour is that the program that calculates in what group you belong runs only once an hour. If you're lucky you'll only have to wait 2 minutes or even less, if you're unlucky you'll have to wait 58 mins.

Hello_Kitty

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
Well the whole point is to keep people active. Whats the point of having people post their 10 posts or whatnot to get their desired status, then just quit posting.

And saying "I did my time" kinda makes it seem like you look at posting as a punishment, just a requirement to lurk... So I guess the lurker status would be good for you.
So the fact that I have been moving and couldn't post doesn't matter. I managed to sign in a couple times but shortly after my internet crashes.
Some people don't have ample free time to sit behind a computer and post their a$$ off to stay "active".
I'm not the only one who had their status relinquished. Yawg had VIP taken from him too. He doesn't have time to post either. It's not like we want to avoid the forums, it's just we don't have the chance.

And as for "I did my time", If you worked your ass off for a Assistant Manager position and you go on vacation for a week or two and come back to find you have been demoted to Sales Associate/Cashier, you would be pretty pissed off wouldn't you. This is just on a smaller scale.

I post, I make threads, just not as much as one would classify as "Active". Being classified as a lurker makes me feel dirty though.
I know right. When I first got my old s/n of Doomshatterkat transferred to Hello_Kitty it had me listed as being a member for a year or so. And I got patronized in the old chatroom and called a Lurker. Like I was scum...the lowest of the lows. When in reality I had made Doomshatterkat and didn't do anything with it. And then I forgot it's password and email to recover it. So I made Hello_Kitty and it said I already had an account.
So yea Lurker makes me feel like some creepy mugger in an alley.

I think it's stupid, I didn't post for maybe a week or so and all of a sudden I can't reply to public threads, look at any profiles (including my own to see *when* I posted last...) or even look at the member list. Sometimes members don't post every day, and I don't think we should be punished for that.
Thank you...I completely agree and I do feel punished for this.

...If I went away for a bit, I'd know what to expect, although I'd still find it a bit annoying. I'd guess there are some people who were only occasional users and came back to find themselves demoted and just decide to give up and move along without saying anything.
I agree. I used to be a rather frequent user and I was kinda decreasing it to occasional user and it was disconcerting to see that I had been demoted, I thought about just saying "well fukk this place!". Most people only come to these forums when they have "diapers/ab related stuff/or need support for diapers,ab stuff" on their mind. And as most of us know there sometimes comes a time where we are completely not interested in diapers, etc. and we avoid anything related to it for weeks or even months at a time. I've been so busy lately that bothering with the "lifestyle" seems so much more time consuming and annoying. So I haven't. >_>

Last edited:

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
A forum lives and dies with people who contribute on a semi-regular basis. Otherwise, we could all write down our thoughts on diapers and TBism in one big post and create a static website.

Yes, it's debatable if 1 week of absence should cause you to lose your status, or the reasons for people's absence. But at the end of the day, your status is a representation of your activities on the website. VIP status should be more than just writing 10 awesome posts with one rep each and then being a no-show. It's like giving birth to a child and then thinking your job is done. A forum is like a child - it needs constant love and attention, and when people aren't around to provide that, I don't think they should be called "good parents" or "role models", or "VIPs".
Yes, there are always good reasons for being away, but who is to judge which reason is important enough to keep one's status and which reason is not?! Same rules apply to everyone.

Besides, people who got demoted to lurker status regain their old status within the hour. I don't see what the big deal is - after having been away for 7 days or more, an hour hardly matters!

Peachy

MarcusBear

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Diaperfur, , Carer
Some people don't have ample free time to sit behind a computer and post their a$$ off to stay "active".
I'm not the only one who had their status relinquished. Yawg had VIP taken from him too. He doesn't have time to post either. It's not like we want to avoid the forums, it's just we don't have the chance.”
It doesn’t take two minutes to post a single reply to a thread, for example welcoming a new member to the forum, simple & brief. Everyone has a minute or so to spare if regaining your status is that critical. There is no need for you or anyone else to post their ‘’a$$” off, don’t exacerbate. Since you have little time using the internet you’ll be kept occupied until your status soon returns.

And as for "I did my time", If you worked your ass off for a Assistant Manager position and you go on vacation for a week or two and come back to find you have been demoted to Sales Associate/Cashier, you would be pretty pissed off wouldn't you. This is just on a smaller scale.
Awful logic, nothing alike, first of all being a member of ADISC forum isn’t a job, absolutely no need to work your arse off. If you feel your time on ADISC is more like a chore to begin with maybe this isn’t the place website for you. This is a place to enjoy yourself within a community, not to work. As someone had already pointed out you have to wait approximately an hour till your status to return, a little patience goes a long way.

Lurker makes me feel like some creepy mugger in an alley.
Lurker, serious business? It's an internet forum for goodness sake, if lurker status makes you feel that way then wait till you find yourself in some real issues.

I agree. I used to be a rather frequent user and I was kinda decreasing it to occasional user and it was disconcerting to see that I had been demoted, I thought about just saying "well fukk this place!".
Why blame this place when you’re the one who decides how often you visit, if at all? As you yourself admitted you were visiting the forum less & less, is lurker status that undeserved?

Some members are handling this minor issue as if there human rights are being violated, it's pathetic.

Most people only come to these forums when they have "diapers/ab related stuff/or need support for diapers,ab stuff"
Actually excluding new members most members come for the community aspect and, most discuss topics outside of *B related 'stuff' with the friends they have made.

To quote the Peach just incase it was overlooked:

Peachy said:
I don't see what the big deal is - after having been away for 7 days or more, an hour hardly matters!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.