Life learnings

tentino

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi everyone!

As I'm nearing a big birthday (...), and without wanting to diapersplain, I thought I'd post a bunch of things I've learned over a lifetime of being an incontinent DL. IMO, YMMV, OMGBBQ, etc.

• Most men are wearing diapers a size too small. (Doesn't apply, I think, to most women.) Embarrassingly, this one took me years and years to really figure out. If you're a medium, try large! And keep trying! As you age, your body changes, and so with the fit. Mediums worked fine in my teenage years, but trying large again in my 20s was a revelation. The tapes work far better for me if the top pair are a couple of inches apart rather than right at the side. Brands vary wildly. For overnights, even try an XL sample -- in certain brands they're not much different from L, but have more padding and are more enveloping.

• You probably aren't using boosters enough. Seriously, a booster can turn a mediocre diaper into something fantastic. Yes, there are discretion issues. And you'll almost certainly need to move up a diaper size (see point 1...). But really. Standard 6"x24" (15x60cm) boosters without a plastic backsheet work really nicely. My favorites are the Tena 8"x24" (20x60cm) for general usage/overnight, and for overnights from time to time even Seni V boosters, with only the front wings extended, are true luxury. (They're a lot!)

• Diapers without a landing zone are a scourge. But if you've found one that otherwise works beautifully, you can easily and quickly make a perfect landing zone with lengths of 2" (50mm) clear plastic packaging tape applied to the front center. 2 lengths work great for medium, 3 for large and XL. Virtually free, and they can turn something a bit meh into something wonderfully secure.

• We live in a golden age for diapers. Yes, they've got crazy expensive and availability is still spotty, but aside from the incredible AB ranges, those like me who use primarily medical diapers are super well catered for. In particular, I'm loving Drylife Slip Super from the UK, Rearz Inspire+ Incontrol, Northshore Megamax and Cloudry White from Germany. (Drylife Slip Super is essentially identical to Northshore Supreme in the US.) For daytime wear BetterDry Day is fabulous. And crossover product like Forsite Stars/Stripes and Megamax multicolored are fascinating. We've lost a lot of incredible products over the years, but nothing compares to the overall range we have today.

• There's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing diapers, and you have to come to accept this. Whether you need them or simply love them, as long as you don't involve any unwilling participants then anyone who disapproves isn't worthy of your time or attention. Not to say don't be discreet, but you have to fully accept yourself or you're in for a world of pain. Related: be honest with partners at the earliest reasonable stage. Making long-term commitments to someone who won't fully accept you is terrifying. Also related: there's little to nothing to be gained from telling your family (besides your life partner), and a lot to be lost. But if they discover your stash, that's not your problem -- even if you feel like it is at the time.

• I'm quite certain there's a link between DL and the autism spectrum, and possibly ADHD. If you've never considered this about yourself, look into it with an open mind. Understanding yourself better is excellent for mental health.

That's it from me. You might not agree! I'd love to hear your thoughts. And what about you? What have you discovered that you think some other people might not know about?

• Love
Reactions: tseaborn, espectro, Seasonedcitizen and 10 others

joemama

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Spot on

NotTheAverageMan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Spot on, though mediums size diapers still fit me very well. Tried large a few times, but couldn’t get a snug fit, so they felt odd, and didn’t provide me with that tight sealing between my legs.

Reactions: DLmikey

TreeLad

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
tentino said:
Hi everyone!

As I'm nearing a big birthday (...), and without wanting to diapersplain, I thought I'd post a bunch of things I've learned over a lifetime of being an incontinent DL. IMO, YMMV, OMGBBQ, etc.

• Most men are wearing diapers a size too small. (Doesn't apply, I think, to most women.) Embarrassingly, this one took me years and years to really figure out. If you're a medium, try large! And keep trying! As you age, your body changes, and so with the fit. Mediums worked fine in my teenage years, but trying large again in my 20s was a revelation. The tapes work far better for me if the top pair are a couple of inches apart rather than right at the side. Brands vary wildly. For overnights, even try an XL sample -- in certain brands they're not much different from L, but have more padding and are more enveloping.

• You probably aren't using boosters enough. Seriously, a booster can turn a mediocre diaper into something fantastic. Yes, there are discretion issues. And you'll almost certainly need to move up a diaper size (see point 1...). But really. Standard 6"x24" (15x60cm) boosters without a plastic backsheet work really nicely. My favorites are the Tena 8"x24" (20x60cm) for general usage/overnight, and for overnights from time to time even Seni V boosters, with only the front wings extended, are true luxury. (They're a lot!)

• Diapers without a landing zone are a scourge. But if you've found one that otherwise works beautifully, you can easily and quickly make a perfect landing zone with lengths of 2" (50mm) clear plastic packaging tape applied to the front center. 2 lengths work great for medium, 3 for large and XL. Virtually free, and they can turn something a bit meh into something wonderfully secure.

• We live in a golden age for diapers. Yes, they've got crazy expensive and availability is still spotty, but aside from the incredible AB ranges, those like me who use primarily medical diapers are super well catered for. In particular, I'm loving Drylife Slip Super from the UK, Rearz Inspire+ Incontrol, Northshore Megamax and Cloudry White from Germany. (Drylife Slip Super is essentially identical to Northshore Supreme in the US.) For daytime wear BetterDry Day is fabulous. And crossover product like Forsite Stars/Stripes and Megamax multicolored are fascinating. We've lost a lot of incredible products over the years, but nothing compares to the overall range we have today.

• There's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing diapers, and you have to come to accept this. Whether you need them or simply love them, as long as you don't involve any unwilling participants then anyone who disapproves isn't worthy of your time or attention. Not to say don't be discreet, but you have to fully accept yourself or you're in for a world of pain. Related: be honest with partners at the earliest reasonable stage. Making long-term commitments to someone who won't fully accept you is terrifying. Also related: there's little to nothing to be gained from telling your family (besides your life partner), and a lot to be lost. But if they discover your stash, that's not your problem -- even if you feel like it is at the time.

• I'm quite certain there's a link between DL and the autism spectrum, and possibly ADHD. If you've never considered this about yourself, look into it with an open mind. Understanding yourself better is excellent for mental health.

That's it from me. You might not agree! I'd love to hear your thoughts. And what about you? What have you discovered that you think some other people might not know about?
I know what DL stands for but what are the others?

Reactions: MATTJ33

DLmikey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
NotTheAverageMan said:
Spot on, though mediums size diapers still fit me very well. Tried large a few times, but couldn’t get a snug fit, so they felt odd, and didn’t provide me with that tight sealing between my legs.
I‘ve found exactly the same - I’m still most definitely a medium guy! 😊

Rita

Padded Rita
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Very Close hitting it on the head !!!

hti24

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
One thing I would add: no one knows or cares if you're wearing diapers in public. Personally, I love wearing in public: it's a major rush, and I wish I'd had the confidence to do it sooner. When I started wearing in public I'd be strapped in: diaper, boxer briefs, compression shorts, jeans, belt, tucked-in t-shirt. Now it's diaper and pants, and oftentimes it's sweatpants. I'll never make it obvious that I'm wearing a diaper, but I don't always go out of my way to hide it, either. Besides, what's the worst that would happen if someone caught me? No one's going to say anything, and if anyone did, it'd be their problem, not mine. Or yours, for that matter - wear your diapers proudly!

Reactions: ChrisK

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I can pretty much agree to this, I'd also add though...

The shopkeeper/clerk doesn't give a damn what you are buying, when going into a shop to buy diapers there is no need to be afraid of what they will say or ask at the till when you go to pay. They see people buying them all the time and unless it's someone you know behind the till they are not going to say anything much more than the price and ask if you have a loyalty card.

Reactions: Subtlerustle, chamberpot, hti24 and 1 other person

Subtlerustle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
hti24 said:
One thing I would add: no one knows or cares if you're wearing diapers in public. Personally, I love wearing in public: it's a major rush, and I wish I'd had the confidence to do it sooner. When I started wearing in public I'd be strapped in: diaper, boxer briefs, compression shorts, jeans, belt, tucked-in t-shirt. Now it's diaper and pants, and oftentimes it's sweatpants. I'll never make it obvious that I'm wearing a diaper, but I don't always go out of my way to hide it, either. Besides, what's the worst that would happen if someone caught me? No one's going to say anything, and if anyone did, it'd be their problem, not mine. Or yours, for that matter - wear your diapers proudly!
I’m the same now. In fact if I have too many layers on it takes away from the sensory satisfaction. Some pants and shorts are cut better to hide diapers than others. I must confess that I don’t upsize anything to hide them but I do jump on items are tailored to hide nicely.
Nice hot takes from the op too.

Reactions: ChrisK

ChrisK

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
hti24 said:
I also love wearing in public. I hide it .....but I don't hide it. Love the rush

Reactions: joemama