Let's talk about Watchmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
... the upcoming movie/graphic novel. A search under "Watchmen" brings up 4 threads, all closed, so let's begin again.

http://www.adisc.org/forum/mature-topics/6352-i-keep-hearing-all-end-world-talk.html
http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic/5546-book-you-reading.html
http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic/4083-thread-dedicated-batman.html
http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic/4184-watchmen.html

BTW for the debate over whether the blue schlong was visible, it was... occasionally, ch. 3 p 20 in the first instance. The least interesting aspect of the book... but a convo starter

PS http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cN_qvhfeI

Last edited:

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
My god... I love Watchmen. It's just that it's so true, you know? Rorshach is the best character. No debate.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Terrible comic, who would ever read such filth?

POCKY AND MANGA R BETTAR DEN THEM STOOPID AMERKAN COMIX!

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
I would agree. There are so many things to like... The nearer you are to seeing or appreciating the truth the more you lapse toward cynicism... and ultimately madness... protected only by ignorance or a solid but wrong absolutist view... Love the Lovecraftian elements that pervade the whole book...

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
For some reason Watchmen just reminds me of Munich but with superheros... And considering that I did not like Munich I doubt I will like Watchmen.

Elizabeth

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
Fire2box - Is that response just from the trailers, or have you read some of the actual comic? I can kind of see that from some of the trailers, where they talk about someone picking off costumed heroes, sort of hinting at a revenge angle, but it really isn't like Munich at all.

Hans

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I'm praying that Fox does not take a giant dump all over this.

Hans

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Saw the midnight premiere. VERY well done, fans of the novel will not be disappointed. Casting, visuals, and overall style of the film is incredible.

Nitpickiness:
-This movie does bog down in places, be prepared. It does take a bit of effort.
-Every action sequence uses the slo-mo/bullet time feature, however considering the story isn't very action-driven it does give it that 'edge' it needs.
-Also with the action sequences, lots of CGI, along the lines of GRINDHOUSE, but exciting nontheless.
-Casual movie goers: ye be warned, If you're jumping on the Watchmen hype/bandwagon hoping to find the next Dark Knight this movie is NOT FOR YOU. This is definitely a fans' film and truly shows it's appreciation for the source. I repeat, If you're looking for another action-driven comic-book adaptation this movie is NOT FOR YOU.

4/5

A

annierighthurr

I saw the very first screening of this ever back in october. :p
be jealous.

Nicky

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I saw the very first screening of this ever back in october. :p
be jealous.
Was that at ComicCon??

Hmm...just finished reading it a couple minutes ago...it was a really really good story. Hoping to catch the movie this weekend.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Okay I was indeed wrong about my thoughts of watchmen. I hate it when I judge stuff wrong from the trailers! <_> (I even thought Fanboys would be funny and I thought Zack and Miri wouldn't be that great.)

so anyways I plan on seeing watchmen on Tuesday of next week, and late last year my town got a Imax screen. :p

The only thing they showed in Imax format though so far was the day the earth stood boring remake. So finally we get a good Imax format movie.

E

Error404

Just saw this over in England.

Impressive. Loved the philosophy behind it all.

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've never heard of Watchmen until I saw previews for the movie. The trailers do look fairly interesting though, so I'll probably go see it sometime in the next couple weeks.

Klokwork

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Well, I just saw the movie. What a dissapointment. Everyone in the theater was sitting around just waiting for the Rorschach scenes, by far the best parts of the movie. Plus, the movie was way more predictable than the book. The biggest problem was that the whole movie screams "prison". The camera never moves, so it feels as if the actors are trapped on the screen. The plot is imprisoned in the time constraints of the film. The great characters trapped behind shitty actors (with the exception of Rorschach). The character Ozymandias was really underdeveloped considering what a crucial character he is. The slow motion was cool in 300, but here it seems so tacked on, and all it does is slow things down. Everyone seemed to have super strength, when people got punched, they flew into the air for no reason, it was retarded. Watchmen also contains the worst sex scenes I have ever seen in a movie. Watchmen is a brilliant graphic novel. There was no reason for it to be a movie.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Watchmen was an awesome piece of modern literature. The pacing of the narrative, the framing of the story with external fictional source-material (the Dr. Glass writings, the excerpts from Under the Hood, Tales of the Black Freighter so on and so forth), and the social relevance of it all at the time it was released made it what it was.

I walked into the movie not expecting it to be anything but fanservice, and in that, I was not disappointed. So much of the character-development information comes out of the works between chapters that they tried to squeeze these things into the dialogue. Without the parallelism of the Black Freighter to help explain the psychological intensity of the story, a lot seemed really lost. Truth be told, without those parts of the presentation ... the characters, while they still shine, are just part of a rather doofily put-together plot.

Alan Moore's historical knowledge really comes out in his works, and that's one of the reasons why Watchmen appealed to me. Compared to other psychologically heavy comics, however (The Maxx, for example), Watchmen is consideraly mediocre when the actual story is separated from the supplement material that Moore wrote between the chapters. It all comes together as a movie that, while outstandingly presented, feels like it sets a series of great characters on a drab background and lets them run circles around one another.

Movie-goers -- for a more wholesome experience, read the book. While there are small things that are changed, the movie makes a lot more sense when coupled with the original material.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Well, I just saw the movie. What a dissapointment. Everyone in the theater was sitting around just waiting for the Rorschach scenes, by far the best parts of the movie.
Exactly what I was thinking, and that's what my friends all agreed on when we left the theater. The moral of the story: Gingers can ruin your shit. Also, whoever directed this had some kind of strange sense of humor. What with the, well, blue man walking around without that thong thing so much.

While there are small things that are changed, the movie makes a lot more sense when coupled with the original material.
These movies only make me want to spend money I don't have on comic books :<

Maybe I can find a download of some scans... who needs Spider-Man 1 when you can download it right? Nobody's going to eat that in your store, because it's not your store anymore.

ore ore ore ore.

Status
Not open for further replies.