let`s share pics of plants from around the world! what interesting plants do you have sprouting up around places you`ve seen? all plants welcome! nwn

gentletides said:
i could be wrong but it may be the california poppy
I was also going to say they look like poppies.

Reactions: gentletides
BigBlueBear said:
I wish I knew what type of flower they were. Maybe someone else here knows?
Tulips

Reactions: ElPulpo
BabyDavidMessiah said:

Really? I know what tulips look like, but these looked different to me. Shows you what I know about flowers. 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: RedPandaDL
BabyDavidMessiah said:

they might be 'King's Orange' or something similar.

87a13e-175.jpg

Around my yard.
BB6E5C76-2E6F-4547-9623-6D4C8AD93B7F.jpeg
iris
4C943218-9107-444B-941C-6D7A10E6146C.jpeg
knockout rose
6161E5A2-0D96-47BB-AF18-9212CE7EC477.jpeg
peony
EF68086C-700C-4571-BE87-C9E542D44144.jpeg
Japanese iris?
54712637-1EC6-4E31-B0A9-802292FAB042.jpeg
clematis (spelling?)

Reactions: hoimi, Seasonedcitizen, gentletides and 1 other person
BabyDavidMessiah said:
I'm wrong.
I don't get it - why should you be wrong?🤨 I agree with you that those are tulips.

ElPulpo said:
I don't get it - why should you be wrong?🤨 I agree with you that those are tulips.
Are the king's orange a type of tulip? When I saw that I thought I had the wrong thing.when I was really little I used to watch a guy named Ed Hume every Saturday morning. I'm not sure if he was broadcasting nationally or just local. Anyway, some of the knowledge stuck and other parts of it I'm sure are in there somewhere.

Reactions: RedPandaDL
20200517_140134 (2).jpg

Lupine. Very common in the Northwest USA (Lupinus laxiflorus)

20200515_163447 (2).jpg

I thought this was called "Indian sage" but there is no such listing in my Hand book of Northwest Plants. SO I am going to have to blow the 35 years of dust of my brain the holds the use of a Dichotomy Key and figure out the true identity of the nice smelling but still a garden weed.

20200515_163356-1 (2).jpg

This is another one that showed up about 6 years ago and is becoming a pest. I do not know the name so I will also have to work on Identifying it.

I also want to put out a big Kutoos to Gentletides for starting this world wide virtual herbarium!!!!

I have two others in my yard that are not quite blooming yet to post.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: hoimi, Seasonedcitizen, gentletides and 1 other person
gentletides said:
oh my, now that`s pretty interesting. what kind of fungus is that?
I wish I knew, though I can ask around.

egor said:
View attachment 41169

View attachment 41170

I thought this was called "Indian sage" but there is no such listing in my Hand book of Northwest Plants. SO I am going to have to blow the 35 years of dust of my brain the holds the use of a Dichotomy Key and figure out the true identity of the nice smelling but still a garden weed.

View attachment 41174

This is another one that showed up about 6 years ago and is becoming a pest. I do not know the name so I will also have to work on Identifying it.

I also want to put out a big Kutoos to Gentletides for starting this world wide virtual herbarium!!!!

the lupine are definitely the most interesting plants so far! they remind me of brussels sprouts.
iu

Reactions: hoimi, RedPandaDL, Seasonedcitizen and 1 other person
egor said:
View attachment 41169

View attachment 41170

View attachment 41174

as far as the last bit. you`re welcome, and thanks!

Edible weeds from my yard in addition to dandelions and chickweed. They are free, can be harvested early and the bugs don't eat them.

Attachments

• purple-dead-nettle-and-henbit.jpg
    purple-dead-nettle-and-henbit.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: hoimi and gentletides
Humming bird moth on the butterfly bush. The moth starts out as a big green catapeller that is a pest on tomato plants.
New Jersey, USA.

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    752.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: hoimi, RedPandaDL, BabyDavidMessiah and 1 other person
Seasonedcitizen said:
Humming bird moth on the butterfly bush. The moth starts out as a big green catapeller that is a pest on tomato plants.
New Jersey, USA.
is it actually that big or is it just the perspective?

NoodleDragon said:
I wish I knew, though I can ask around.
i`d love to know if you find out! i`ll post a reply if i figure out what it is

20200518_153157 (2).jpg

Winter Crest (Barbarea othoceras) Very common weed and if let go will grown into a major "Brier" of intermingle plants about 9 feet tall.

20200518_153209 (2).jpg

Bur Clover (Medicago hispida) Member of the Alfalfa type plants the down side is sheep will reluctantly graze on it and it does not hold the leaves if you attempt to bale it.

Reactions: hoimi and gentletides
BabyDavidMessiah said:
Did you take these? Your damn good at this.
Yep, they're mine 😁
I think more credit goes to mother nature for putting on the show and the Japs for making the cameras. I just pointed and pressed a button.
Although, getting to the place to press the button can be knackering:
full

A kestrel (?) snoozing in the winter sun on a willow (?) branch. I crawled through frozen moorland, with the dog attached to my ankle, to get close enough for this, in the hope that it'd awake and do something interesting, but it just kept right on snoozing.

• Love
Reactions: hoimi and starpup
Back