Leaving Permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I had an absence during which I missed what was obviously a lot of drama, people keep alluding to, some of which tied into the circumstances under which some long-standing, well-liked persons left or are considering leaving. While I don't know the full story (though would like to)

I would like to see many of them stay or be given the opportunity to come back.

So unless a person was banned for security reasons, would it be possible to allow quitted people to come back, say, after 6 months?

I recognize that leaving is considered permanent and this is to stop leaving being a form of executing drama. On the other hand, some of the people gone had such unique, entertaining, contributive voices that without them ADISC has lost a big part of its soul. There isn't a rival ADISC we can just flip to; if they are not here they are really gone, in the sense of being part of a collective. (Some of them left individual contact info, or are known to be at other places like IMVU, 2nd Life. But it's not the same as having them together and part of a community.)

Let me point out, as others have, that in the future ADISC may change into an entity in which they would fit again, an entity that they would want to be a part of as much as the entity would love to have them. It would be a shame if the door was permanently closed.

Last edited:

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
I've been thinking about allowing people to re-open closed accounts, but requiring something non-trivial to do so. For example, an email to the webmaster.

In the meantime, I've added a cooling off period to account closure - accounts which have posted in the last 30 days are not eligible for being closed. The idea is that if someone has a moment of madness, they don't paint themselves into a corner.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
I've been thinking about allowing people to re-open closed accounts, but requiring something non-trivial to do so. For example, an email to the webmaster.

In the meantime, I've added a cooling off period to account closure - accounts which have posted in the last 30 days are not eligible for being closed. The idea is that if someone has a moment of madness, they don't paint themselves into a corner.

A thought: Doesn't that eliminate "Goodbye" threads?

Not the bad ones, but the ones that are legitimetly meant to say 'good bye' to those you know will miss you, and you'll miss yourself. Like, if I get into a situation where I won't have internet for, say, five years, and I'd like to close my account. I won't be allowed to make a thread to say "good bye"?

Or was that a part of the intent? (Not to not allow the good ones, of course, but to make it impossible for someone to make spammy, flamey, "I'm leaving" threads.)

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private

Not the bad ones, but the ones that are legitimetly meant to say 'good bye' to those you know will miss you, and you'll miss yourself. Like, if I get into a situation where I won't have internet for, say, five years, and I'd like to close my account. I won't be allowed to make a thread to say "good bye"?

Or was that a part of the intent? (Not to not allow the good ones, of course, but to make it impossible for someone to make spammy, flamey, "I'm leaving" threads.)
It doesn't eliminate goodbye threads, but if someone posts one, they have to wait a month after that before they can close their account.

This has the effect of discouraging goodbye threads from people who are absolutely determined to leave, and making those people who aren't sure, think twice before deleting their account.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
It doesn't eliminate goodbye threads, but if someone posts one, they have to wait a month after that before they can close their account.

This has the effect of discouraging goodbye threads from people who are absolutely determined to leave, and making those people who aren't sure, think twice before deleting their account.

that's a good idea. it makes me wonder why there's even an option to delete your account. if someone doesn't want to post here anymore couldn't they just stop posting? deleting your account seems like an inherently drama-ridden deed.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
Most sites don't have a 'delete your account' option, because they don't want to give you any opportunity to leave.

Here at ADISC, I implemented the deletion option as a response to requests, to provide people a way to leave if they really wanted to, and to provide additional privacy.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur

Yes, absolutely. They may have to acknowledge that they were in the wrong somehow or promise not to repeat some sort of behaviour; they should certainly have to ask to come back. Some may have left for reasons connected to immaturity, mental illness, or some other mental state - and have simply matured or got well in the meantime. I can imagine circumstances under which a requested account deletion is connected to the member's personal security, such as their computer having been stolen/hacked, or others posting under their identity, or their being stalked or harassed. Or if, say, they know they're going to jail. (Of course, in such rare cases they would simply contact site admin and explain.)

Bravo! I see no downside to this and much potential upside.

Good point: that there are genuine goodbye threads (terminal illness, progressive mental illness, prison, weird religous conversion) - and there are
spammy, flamey, "I'm leaving" threads.)
In the case of purely dramatic goodbye threads, which turned out to be insincere down the road, -rep would be appropriate, as well as the inevitable critical comments. Another reason to be able to rep old posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Role
  1. Private

This is a really good technical control, methinks.
:pizza:
(Because pizza is awesome and I never get to use that icon.)

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent

I suppose that could also work in reverse, if a member had a really good reason for leaving and never wanted to come back, (health issues, etc.) they could post a goodbye thread for the other members to read.
The person could then send email to the webmaster and have their account closed by the admins.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
An important point raised in this thread is not to be shy about contacting the staff over important issues, like why you are thinking of leaving, reporting posts, why you want to re-open your account, why you suspect a member of being up to no good. On important issues they respond quickly and reasonably, and their door is always open.

This is not to suggest bothering them with trivia; I suspect that although some people have surmised that approaching the staff is avoided out of fear, many simply assume that they won't get a response. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.