Leaks happen easier with a booster than without...

dynodoggo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
I decided to try out the Abu powerups to see if it would make leaks happen less often if I plan to wear for a while. However it seems to have the opposite effect with me... my diaper leaks way easier than if it didn't have a booster. I am guessing the excessive swelling cancels out the function of the leak guards and that might be the reason why leaking occurs so easily. I also found that it swells too much and doesn't transfer pee into the diaper's absorbent layer.

A couple weeks ago I gave some to my friend to try out and he doesn't seem to have any problems with them, so maybe I am not positioning them correctly? Or maybe boosters don't work that well with medium size diapers since he wears size large?

Does anyone have any input on this?

DanielW

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
  4. Private
I decided to try out the Abu powerups to see if it would make leaks happen less often if I plan to wear for a while. However it seems to have the opposite effect with me... my diaper leaks way easier than if it didn't have a booster. I am guessing the excessive swelling cancels out the function of the leak guards and that might be the reason why leaking occurs so easily. I also found that it swells too much and doesn't transfer pee into the diaper's absorbent layer.

A couple weeks ago I gave some to my friend to try out and he doesn't seem to have any problems with them, so maybe I am not positioning them correctly? Or maybe boosters don't work that well with medium size diapers since he wears size large?

Does anyone have any input on this?

Most modern boosters/stuffers have the same problem modern diapers do too much sap and not enought pulp to distribute moisture. if a booster swells a lot in one place (where it get wet first) then it can easily alow moisture over the leak guards.

Paxe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Same here; full size boosters work for me in large nappies but not mediums. Part of that is the extra thickness in the middle interfering with the leg gathers, part due to changing the overall fit of the nappy. Any hourglass-shape booster is likely to reduce the effectiveness of the inner leakguards, although a rectangular one that fits completely between them should have less impact on a nappy that has very tall leakguards such as a Betterdry.

At the moment my usual night nappy is a Dotty Diaper Simple L with a 2XL booster, which never leaks. I don't wet in my sleep - I wake up to use the nappy when my bladder is completely full - so it has to be able to withstand floods. In reality the extra absorbency of the booster is only utilised if I have a very wet night, but I enjoy the comfort and reassurance of the extra thickness even if it is not strictly necessary. As a tradeoff, there's less room at the back for messes and the booster defeats the leakguards as far as keeping mess contained in the middle of the nappy. But that doesn't really matter here as I hardly ever need to mess in my night nappy.

Moonshot

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
This is a good discussion, I have wonder if it was just me having this type of problem. I have noticed that the booster seems to block flow to other parts of the diaper and just forces the flow sideways causing a leak. I have had diapers with completely dry back panels leak. I felt is was because there was little wicking by the booster that had swelled up and blocked any flow to the back.

Littlesweettooth

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I saw a video awhile back with instructions on how to improve booster performance.
1) Cut a very clean slit into the back of the diaper (Plastic side) about as wide as the booster, located between the two/four fasteners.
2) push your hand inside along the length of the diaper to separate the cover from the inner absorbent material. You’ll get fuzzies on your hand.
3) insert the booster to about where you want it in the diaper.
4) place a piece of clear packing tape over the cut you made to seal it. Try to make sure the tape doesn’t adhere to onto any creases in the cover to keep it 100% leak proof.
5) get snuggly in an extra thick diaper without reducing any of the effectiveness of the leak guards.

I’ve done this many times and it works significantly better, and only takes about a minute to do.

Inconjr

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I tried using booster in mediums and they kind of worked well at the begining after a while it would flow pee to the side gathers of my diaper and leak😡

MattDLJ

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I saw a video awhile back with instructions on how to improve booster performance.
1) Cut a very clean slit into the back of the diaper (Plastic side) about as wide as the booster, located between the two/four fasteners.
2) push your hand inside along the length of the diaper to separate the cover from the inner absorbent material. You’ll get fuzzies on your hand.
4) place a piece of clear packing tape over the cut you made to seal it. Try to make sure the tape doesn’t adhere to onto any creases in the cover to keep it 100% leak proof.
5) get snuggly in an extra thick diaper without reducing any of the effectiveness of the leak guards.

I’ve done this many times and it works significantly better, and only takes about a minute to do.
What diapers and boosters have you tried this method on? Keen to give it a go myself. Also, what size dips are you using?

Antientmariner

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover

I do this too. Only difference is I use baby diapers. There is someone on Tumblr who cuts the padding itself and places the booster pad directly inside the diaper, but I wouldn't do that

dynodoggo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
Im scared of modifying stuff like that. I always mess those things up somehow lol arts and crafts was always difficult for me

MattDLJ

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Here are some images of it helps

I suppose you could make the incision inside the diaper instead of on the outside? I’d prefer to do it on the inside at the top along the back as id be worried about leaks from a cut on the outside.

Useful to have the photos as a guide though so thank you for that.

ARBBB2

arbbb2 = a-real-big-baby-boy-2
Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer

yes, that's what I also do when wearing 3 boosters, if I put the booster on the inside of my diaper after I get two tapes fastened I put my finger on the inside of the diaper and slide it from the rear to the front making sure that the elastic is pulled out to my leg on each side and not stuck under the booster.

ARBBB2

arbbb2 = a-real-big-baby-boy-2
Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
I suppose you could make the incision inside the diaper instead of on the outside? I’d prefer to do it on the inside at the top along the back as id be worried about leaks from a cut on the outside.

Useful to have the photos as a guide though so thank you for that.
I cut the rear because my diaper never gets wet way to the top in back