Lawsuit against Led Zeppelin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/sep/28/led-zeppelin-plagiarism-taurus-spirit-stairway-to-heaven-new-trial

So theres this Lawsuit against Led Zeppelin over whether or not they committed Copyright Infringement for allegedly stealing a part of the Spirit Song "Taurus" and using it at the beginning of "Stairway To Heaven".

I have to admit there is some resemblance between the beginnings of both songs, but is that enough to cry "Copyright Infringement", I kind of feel like it is a reach and somebody is just Salty their song didn't reach heights of commercial success.

I mean it is all over a part of a song that lasted like 10-15 seconds.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I think I heard about this, one or two years ago. It should have been settled by now. I personally think the suit is BS because the chord progression of that song is centuries old. I even think it got used in Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess". Some people are just idiots. It's just a simple walk down. If you're in the key of C minor, you play a C minor chord. Then you add a B to the bass. Play the C minor chord again with an A in the bass and then a G. There's nothing original here.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I think I heard about this, one or two years ago. It should have been settled by now. I personally think the suit is BS because the chord progression of that song is centuries old. I even think it got used in Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess". Some people are just idiots. It's just a simple walk down. If you're in the key of C minor, you play a C minor chord. Then you add a B to the bass. Play the C minor chord again with an A in the bass and then a G. There's nothing original here.
I was thinking this is the second or even third time someone has filed this suit. And it gets killed eventually for lack of evidence.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yes, this is the 2nd (or maybe even third) time this Lawsuit has happened with the same company that has the legal rights to the Spirit song "Taurus" (apparently one of the band members that held the rights to the song died and it went on to a company), it has already been ruled once that Led Zeppelin is not in the wrong; now it is getting brought up in a different court with a different Judge/Jury.

CuddleWoozle

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Incontinent
At some point they're going to have to be like "Look, you bring this in here again and I'm gonna kick your ass." XD Maybe not that wording, but the general effect. There's only so many times they can run around trying to make a quick buck by throwing a shaky lawsuit against someone. And it isn't even the actual artist who did the song...it's his 'estate', a lawyer hoping to cash in. :p

And besides, the scale is going the opposite way in 'stairway'. O_O It sounds like it moves UP and Taurus moves DOWN. (Both songs are actually quite pretty and I like them both.) I've just sat and listened through both of them, and it seems that it's a terribly common progression that's used in a bunch of songs. So it would be like going "I COPYRIGHT BREATHING!"

Now where the hell are the people bitching about Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" being a musical ripoff of BOTH Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London" AND Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama"? (Listen to it! OMG. I can't listen to "All Summer Long" because all it does is make me want to listen to Werewolves and Sweet Home Alabama. LOL It's like "Screw this thing. Let's get them both out.") But they defend that going "OMG. It was SAMPLED. Don't U kno ANYTHING?!" Like it's different for that song and not for the Led Zeppelin/Spirit debacle.. :lol:

(Disclaimer: I am not a trained musician or anything. I sang concert choir in high school and that's about it. XD)

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The guy who wrote the song for the original movie, "Ghost Busters" was successfully sued for stealing from someone's song. I can't remember the details now, but it was big news then because the Ghost Busters song was so popular, much more than the song it was supposedly pirated from.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The song was "I want a new drug" by Huey Lewis and the News
Haha...oh....I guess that is a well known song. I guess it does have the same beat when you think about it. It makes you wonder, are drum beats also copywrite protected?

Crinklebutt

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
The guy who wrote the song for the original movie, "Ghost Busters" was successfully sued for stealing from someone's song. I can't remember the details now, but it was big news then because the Ghost Busters song was so popular, much more than the song it was supposedly pirated from.
The song was "I want a new drug" by Huey Lewis and the News

Reposting since mobile keeps deleting my posts when I go to edit them. I wanted to add that they technically didn't win, it was settled before going to court.

SorcerorElf

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I wonder if some people actually try to have their work stolen so that they can get settlement money + whatever royalties they would normally get.

Status
Not open for further replies.