Not open for further replies.

Cayde

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
What kind of laptops are out there online or in stores what would be the best media laptop
i am thinking about getting a dell laptop

but if there is anything else out there tell me please

Dang it could you mods move this to computers and games please

Last edited by a moderator:

bgi39jsjw0ggg

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It depends on what you're going to do with it. If you just need a laptop, any laptop, then check out government surplus auctions. Craigslist isn't usually worth it, and neither is ebay - they're either scams or priced more than the laptop is worth, but sometimes you'll get lucky.

If you can't or don't want to get a used one, the netbook laptops are good. Those are the ultra-portable units like the Asus EEE and the Acer Aspire. They might not work for you, but like I said - it depends on what you want to do. If it's your primary computer, then you want something with more balls. But if you're like me and sometimes just need to take a laptop with you on the road or something and normally use a much more powerful desktop system, then a low-cost, low-power unit might be the way to go.

Another thing to keep in mind is the weight. I lugged a laptop with me when I was in university, and while it was invaluable, it was a heavy bastard to lug around. Big screen + big battery = heavy laptop, sadly.

ajsco

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Well it depends on what your budget is, also what size screen you want as it is a major contribitary factor in weight.
For a media laptop I would recommend a 2+GHz processor, also with 4GB RAM, a mid level graphics card and a 320GB HDD.
In America on the Studio 17, I would imagine that would cost about $900-$1000. I would also recommend taking out the 3 year warranty, which really is watertight.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
If you want a new computer... wait until the holidays. Specifically "Online Monday"... the Monday following "Black Friday". Buying then can save you a ton of money.

I purchased my new Compaq laptop on Online Monday last year... had it custom built and shipped to my door... they knocked $300 off of the price, and gave me free shipping. An $800 laptop was delivered to my door for $500.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
It depends on what you're going to do with it. If you just need a laptop, any laptop, then check out government surplus auctions. Craigslist isn't usually worth it, and neither is ebay - they're either scams or priced more than the laptop is worth, but sometimes you'll get lucky.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, eBay if used correctly is one of the best places to find good deals on laptops. I got my laptop im currently posting on that retailed for $1100 at the time for $400.(make an offer ftw)

Oh, and try Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM), they do a deal a day and you could catch a good deal on a decent refurbed/new laptop.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
A piece of advice... don't buy refurbed or used laptops... they always break.

I learned that the hard way... went through two reburbed laptops in two years before deciding to buy my new one. Lots of money wasted.

Cayde

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
well i don't know how much my dad is looking to spend on a laptop and if i will be able to get one online i am just trying to get ideas of what i should and shouldn't be looking for and idea with the specs

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
What's wrong with a Compaq? Same thing as HP... they're owned by the same company... mine works great.

Cayde

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
What's wrong with a Compaq? Same thing as HP... they're owned by the same company... mine works great.

See i have had bad things happen when i have a compaq frist one i got the mother borad crashed but that only had a 14 gb hard drive and not even a gb of ram and runing on SD ram this compaq i am using right now is a compaq evo with a duel hard drive which equal 70 GB and runing on 2 Gb of DDR2 ram

timmahtherebel

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Private
Lol..

DF: Compaq Computers ( esp. laptops ) are great. Sure.. they do get a bit hot.. but are durable and run forever

Otherguy: You don't know what your talking about

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
See i have had bad things happen when i have a compaq frist one i got the mother borad crashed but that only had a 14 gb hard drive and not even a gb of ram and runing on SD ram this compaq i am using right now is a compaq evo with a duel hard drive which equal 70 GB and runing on 2 Gb of DDR2 ram

It's like how Gateway also makes eMachines: Compaq is to HP as eMachines is to Gateway. They're the budget, cheap, throwaway brand. Built to sell, then replace in a year or two. Just like an Acer. So, for quality: don't go Compaq. For quick, cheap, short-lasting power, go Compaq.

I've only really seen HP, somewhat, and Compaq, especially, computers dying lately. It may be just an isolated trend, but it seems the whole DVX000 series and VX000 series likes to bite the shitter nice and early... I've got a Compaq Pissario... er... Pressario... sitting in my closet, that's been there since 2006 when it crapped out, and an HP DV1000 that's been sitting there since 2006 [near winter] when it crapped out on someone [a different person.] Before then I had a Compaq Armada 1750, which was a decent machine, but that was back before HP turned Compaq into the Budget Brand of laptop. I also had an Acer from nov. 2007 that felt the need to shit out on me the next year, Oct. 2008. I kinda knew not to expect much out of it [I bought it used because the screen was cracked, but other than that it was pretty much brand new], since it was an Acer, but DAMN! One year?

For real durability, and a nice quality long-lasting laptop, I'd have to say go IBM if you can afford it.
I've had a thinkpad T22 since a while back, and it hasn't crapped out on me yet [well, it has a new owner now, but it still runs just fine.] Then, when I upgraded to my T42, it ran just fine untill about two days ago [but I have reason to believe that my brother sat on the backpack it was in, so if that's the case, of course it's gonna be dead... Motherboard problem. Screen is still fine, though.] So, most reliability I've seen so far? Thinkpad. All the way.

TOAccountant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Over the years I've owned a bunch of laptops or known people with many types.

IBMs: I haven't had one for years but as I recall they are good. I know people who still use there's after 10+ years (some people never change)

Dells: Good price, nice to customize, good customer service, the deals are normally good but change often so if you see one you like you have to pounce. My Dell crapped out in the first month of ownership and I called them. They mailed me a box for it with postage paid return, replaced the malfuncting parts (harddrive), copied the information to a new drive and mailed (Fedex) it back in about 2 weeks and gave me the old drive back (to do what with?)

HP: I've had one, pretty good but I think on the pricey side. Friends had some. Intresting note that one version had a remote built in but each computer used the same frequency so my friends had a fun time turing off peoples computers from accross the room

Macs: Root of all evil (jokes). Not bad I had a friend with one that broke all the time but so did a lot of things around him...

Acer: Good price, good general purpose machine

Toughbooks: Not well known but a computer that can be dropped! have water spilled on it! and over all have the living (or not) daylights kicked out of it. The hardwear what a bit out of date last I looked but I think they up dated. Good if you are planning to take it to war or are a giant clutz

Overall I recomend a Dell for coustomer service, overall price and customizability.

Cayde

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
i was thinking about getting a dell

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
Dell's are good, I seem to be a fanboy for some unknown reason.

Have a look at the Asus EEEPC 1000HE netbook, I'll be getting one.

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other

DotDotDot

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
A piece of advice... don't buy refurbed or used laptops... they always break.

I have never had a problem. I have been buying refurb machines since 2003 - at least on number 6 by now and none of them had problems with original hardware. Infact, I don't plan on buying new again.

EmmEmmThree

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
  3. Carer
If you need something to get you online and get the basics accomplished, get a Netbook!

Status
Not open for further replies.