Kicking back into my audiophileness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, , Carer
So as most know, a while back on ADISC I made a poll on what size driver to go with for my boxes, and we had agreed on 12, so the question now is, how many did I buy, hehe

I bought 4 subwoofers, 4 12" subwoofers :3
1 LA P4.12.4
1 Pioneer W302R
2 Sony Xplod 1000W <600rms> subwoofers

yes, the LA and Pioneer are seperate boxes, the LA actually is getting either thrown away and replaced, or just thrown away

the pioneer sub hasnt arrived yet, it will be in my paws by the 20th

The sony subs on the other hand, I have, As most have probably heard, Sony Xplod subs suck really really bad, not these ones how ever, these are the hardest hitting subs ive heard in this world so far, I've built extremely powerful subwoofer designs before, the 48 18s reached a "might kill you" rating and is not demoable, but I do know it will be at a local DB drag event in august :3
But these, these are possibly the best subs their are in the 200$ range, I forked out 200$ for these bad boys and have em wired to a 400w amp, and my god these kick, the 'rents just love em, hehe

But yea, tell me what you think so far, and please dont tell me to match subs, I know this, im just poor :p

Role
Incontinent
I think you may wish to start putting some money away for some hearing aids. I have a strong feeling you might be needing some in your future.

On a serious note, it sounds like you are putting together a nice system. Enjoy!

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Omg, I'm so jelous! :tongueout: I've got two Mackie SR5's with NO subwoofer :frown:, but the bass responce on these things is incredible. If I had a setup like yours, my neighbors would hate me lol.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Glad it's coming together, and yes, watch your hearing. When I and the band play out, I have ear plugs.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
I've been playing pure tones on these to break in the suspension, the neighbors threatened to call the cops :O

Samaki

Contributor
Role
lol that when you say, "ITS NOT MY FAULT YOU DONT HAVE SOUNDPROOF WALLS!!!! JEEZE"

and also nice, my speakers are really nice, although they have been failing lately, and it seems everytime I accidently move the wire even a millimeter, the speakers go crazy and make a wierd noise.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
hehe

meep, I think it is time you check your meat, cause its done <lol, first time I said it like that>

well, at least check your wires out, could be simple

betagame

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I forked out 200$ for these bad boys and have em wired to a 400w amp, and my god these kick, the 'rents just love em, hehe

But yea, tell me what you think so far, and please dont tell me to match subs, I know this, im just poor :p
where do you get all this money? job?
PS: which 400-700W subwoofers do you recommend for me in the $200-400 range

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
where do you get all this money? job?
PS: which 400-700W subwoofers do you recommend for me in the $200-400 range
I mow lawns... about 20 of them.

and for subwoofers, my favorite drivers their are in the 200$ range < a piece!> are the Fi Qs, handle 1000w rms with a sensitivity of 93db, they about 250$ a driver.

but for complete systems, the best buy Rockford Fosgate P3 <like 230ish> are some of my favorites, I just didnt get em because this came with the amp :3

tiger2

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
ok
well
this is hardly audiphile stuff
but i have my tv hooked up to a speaker sytem to make it sound better
the stereo system is an 2.5k when new (like 10 years old)
sony, dunno tthe type, but it has 1 sub, p[retty nice and 2 standars speakers, but im happier that it has a vinyl system
vinyls arent bass heavy, but my god they sound ebtetr then cd's

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
Tiger2, apearently you haven't actually seen what my new setup looks like, I built every high tower and the box for 2 of my 4 12s :3

and just for the record, I do have 8 speakers on my desk to balance the 4 12s out with, my highs are very strong, 2 pioneer SH-151s, 2 Accoustic Research AR4x's <best small speakers EVER created, dont say their are better, because no driver can touch [email protected]@0.001THD, they just dont make em this good anymore>
and now with 2 Pyle Blue Wave 6x9 4-way's that will be used when I get the 6 channel amp :3, right now they are with the 8 speakers, not to mention they are on a divided crossover, meaning each speaker in this line covers a frequency range <so it stays clean and gets loud with no problem>

Last edited by a moderator:

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
vinyls arent bass heavy, but my god they sound ebtetr then cd's
Actually, I buy lots of new records, and with some of them, I have to be careful how much I turn up the bass because otherwise I'm afraid of bottoming out my woofers. But yeah, most of the time vinyl does sound better than digital.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
hehe, Kams, thats why I make sure all the drivers I get are bump backed and have em put into a tight enough enclosure that they cant bottom out in, for instance, my 6x9s cant do bass because of how small the enclosures are, and the things handling my low end is made to be long excursion that way it can be turned up without having problems, i've never bottomed out a woofer, its only possible if your over rmsing a lot

eddy200

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
and just for the record, I do have 8 speakers on my desk to balance the 4 12s out with, my highs are very strong, 2 pioneer SH-151s, 2 Accoustic Research AR4x's <best small speakers EVER created, dont say their are better, because no driver can touch [email protected]@0.001THD, they just dont make em this good anymore>
and now with 2 Pyle Blue Wave 6x9 4-way's that will be used when I get the 6 channel amp :3, right now they are with the 8 speakers, not to mention they are on a divided crossover, meaning each speaker in this line covers a frequency range <so it stays clean and gets loud with no problem>
Well, as a fairly involved audiophile myself, as well as a good friend of an audiophile with a near unlimited budget, and a professional sound engineer, I must say that there is much better then acoustic research. I must also say that unless you've listened to all the speakers in the world, you really have no room to say that a certain brand is the best; you simply can't. You can’t go by what the magazines say either, because any real enthusiast knows that their good reviews are bought.
Now, don't take it personally, but I'm just trying to open your eyes a little more in the audiophile world. For example, go check out the McIntosh website, McIntosh | Home
Although this is way out of yours or my price range for personal ownership, I have personally auditioned many of their components through my friend, and can easily say there is much better than AR.

Now, Realistically until you can really afford a good system, I would suggest any audiophile first invest in a good set of cans and a good headphone amp, and a quality player that has an integrated headphone jack. This will eliminate need for a pre-amp and amp which, for the most part of components in the sub-$500 range, with distort more than do good in delivering to a full-range loudspeaker system. Those who live/deal with your obsession will be much obliged as well. If you can afford them, I of coarse recommend the unrivaled sennheiser 650HD's, but if you’re a bit strapped for cash, the sony-7506's have proven themselves time and time again. As for a headphone amp, the CMOY headphone amp that you can find on eBay (or build yourself if you’re crafty enough) has outperformed many a headphone amp, even up into the $600+ range. As with all components, trust your ear first and foremost. Happy listening!

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
well, er, im not saying all of AR is the best stuff, its just the AR3 and AR4<x> that are some of the best speakers ever created, and for the price I got em nothing can compete, now the reason AR3s are so special is because of how low the woofer can go on the box, can go down to 38hz and still sound good doing it, But the thing here is the price-to-performance ratio, sure, usually the best stuff by the most overrated overapprechiated companys is the best, I'll admit Monitor Audio's stuff is better, but really, there is atleast a 400$ difference in the price tag for a 'Little better' performance, I just like the AR's because they have the performance of 1000$ speaker systems, these things are worth around 800$ right now because of how low they go. But it isnt necessairly 'how low' it will go, its how clean it does it, and again, im not saying that AR4s are the best thing out there, but in my price range, they are. I got my AR3s and AR4s together for 10$, now tell me, these are the best things in my price range, heh.

eddy200

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Very true, a lot of what most people get are usually bargan deals that are not able to be had by just anyone; right time right place sort of thing... Like my large advents were given to me when I helped my friend move once. certainly not the best speakers around, but sure as hell better than prolly 93% of all other speakers on the market right now. They do fine for listening to regular CD's. If I bust out some vinyl, I'll use my cans; It would prolly cost me at least $1500 or more to match what my sony's do in a loudspeaker setup, so I'll settle for those for now i guess.

Jakethefox

Est. Contributor
Role
hifi audio, such overpriced crap, build anything on a good crossover with a good port in a box designed for the woofer and you've got something perfect, see, it doesnt matter who makes it, its just a coil, a magnet, a cone, a surround, and a structure, its amazing how little differences in xmax & coils can cost so much, for instance, the LA S4 series uses the SAME parts in the 1000$ range, and is sold dirt cheap, neo magnets over ceramic, but the thing about my AR4s, Alcino magnets, 10oz. Probably the best sounding speakers i've ever heard, its kinda funny that you'll have people bitching about Sony Xplod subs because they couldnt wire an amp for shit and fed a speaker distorted signal, now you can have any driver, but its not going to be better dependant on the Amp and Preamp used, forsay, im not taking advantage of my speakers low thd because my amp is higher thd than the speakers, put a good preamp on a nice power amp, build some good towers, and you got a system comparable to the high end systems.

and just for the record, my LA P4 Subwoofer, 150w RMS, 750w Max, im feeding it [email protected] with a very clean signal, over rms'd by 50w, hits quite a bit harder than 50w did on it x3, but it wont harm my speaker because the signal is clean, no distortion, as distortion kills coils, you can feed a speaker plenty of power if its reasonable to its rms rating, I fed a 50w sub this 200w for an hour and it got hot and kept going back for more

my point is, with the right driver in a box designed right, you can get excellent sound in your price range

my bass is so powerful YYZ can make my diaper vibrate with me sittin' on my chair, such a good feeling, :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.