Keto recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Songnar

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Soooo, I'm sort of the "Ignus" of my relationship (the chef, if you prefer not to get Final Fantasy XV references) and doc just put my fiancé on a Keto diet.

100g protein per day.
No more than 20g carbs per day
No dairy
No grain
No starch

...I have no recipes or prior knowledge for this.

Anyone got some tasty meal ideas to share? She hates onions and celery, naturally. :p

I don't subscribe to any diet plans, but I think your best bet would be to purchase a keto cookbook!
I can't imagine they'd be expensive, and one would supply you with heaps of recipes.

So I completely understand hating celery... I'm not a big fan myself and only use it sparingly in, e.g., beef stew. But she hates onions?? Say WHAT? ^^;;; I'm not terribly familiar with the Keto diet, but as a general rule, unless dietary restrictions indicate otherwise, I usually suggest following what your body tells you to eat.

I also am a little reluctant to take doctors at their word. I've been bitten that way too many times. Why, precisely, did your fiancé's doctor suggest such a diet?

I'm also sorry to come across as critical, if I do. I've been through a number of doctors and nutritionists for gastrointestinal issues, and have learned that they don't have the answers for me and I need to learn to forge my own path forward. I had to take issues into my own hands to make any progress with them.

Zucchini stuffed with ground meat
Roasted chicken with citrus and fennel
Artichokes with an aoli dipping sauce
Roasted cauliflower
A nice juicy medium-rare steak!

I've been on a low carb diet for a decade now and there's TONs of yummy ways to focus on meats and veggies.

Sapphyre said:
So I completely understand hating celery... I'm not a big fan myself and only use it sparingly in, e.g., beef stew. But she hates onions?? Say WHAT? ^^;;; I'm not terribly familiar with the Keto diet, but as a general rule, unless dietary restrictions indicate otherwise, I usually suggest following what your body tells you to eat.

I also am a little reluctant to take doctors at their word. I've been bitten that way too many times. Why, precisely, did your fiancé's doctor suggest such a diet?

I'm also sorry to come across as critical, if I do. I've been through a number of doctors and nutritionists for gastrointestinal issues, and have learned that they don't have the answers for me and I need to learn to forge my own path forward. I had to take issues into my own hands to make any progress with them.

Morbid obesity. Her original plan with 30g carbs per meal didn't work. :(

Songnar said:
Morbid obesity. Her original plan with 30g carbs per meal didn't work. :(

Hmmm. I don't have a LOT of experience with obesity (I tend to suffer the opposite problem), but what I have understood is that diet is only a component of that. For a start, has her thyroid function been checked? Lots of things can influence that, including too little iodine. After that I would suspect gut bacteria... so naturally fermented foods such as Greek yogurt or Kimchi or sauerkraut (if you can find the real stuff) MIGHT help. I understand some people have gone so far as to exchange gut bacteria by using so-called "poop pills" (link: Poop Pills ).

That aside, what does her diet normally consist of?

It's almost certainly PCOS by my reckoning. She exercises a lot, does power lifting and works as a nurse so it's definitely not a lack of activity.

Normally, I bake/grill chicken and fish most nights; sometimes with macaroni or rice, always with corn or green beans.
Favorite food is Pizza but that's a rarity for us... Generally, her diet consists of a protein shake in the morning and and whatever I cook at night.

What, no asparagus? No spinach salad? No broccoli? (Ok, I'm joking!)

It doesn't sound like her diet is the problem, so it's probably not the solution either. At best it's a method of compensation.

This is actually the first I've heard of PCOS, so I'm probably not terribly helpful if that is the case. But I'm concerned that attempting to control her condition, whatever it may be, through dietary modification would result in malnourishment in addition to obesity (a combination few health professionals are prepared to recognize, in my experience).

I'll reiterate my first question: has her thyroid function been checked?

I believe so, yus. It was one of the first things they tested for.

Hmmm. I'll do some reading on PCOS. I'm not convinced that diet is the solution, but on a personal note my digestive system kind of shuts off when I'm stressed, and I can go days on just water. But when I do eat, it's fairly healthy fare. My most commonly prepared meal is scrambled eggs (with Mexican cheese) and home fries (with minced onions and garlic, and other seasonings like paprika and black pepper). Cooked in olive oil.

I have NEVER counted calories or carbs and I generally don't recommend such practice. Who knows how much is being absorbed anyway? But I struggle to stay above the "clinically underweight" mark. My mother, quite by contrast, has been obese for much of her life and tried many diets. All of them failed. For her, and maybe for your wife, diet just isn't the issue, and modifications to diet probably won't help very much.

Also, I was only half-joking re veggies.... I tend to eat a lot of them (when I eat anything). Asparagus, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes on the vine, kalamata olives, etc, etc. All kinds of things. It works well for me. It probably involves a high "carb" content, though, so might not fit well with a Keta diet. But again, I don't think that's the problem.

I'll see if I can find a better solution.

~S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back