• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Just solved my first Rubik's cube!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I did, and I am quite proud of myself.

I was sitting in my living room when I solved it, and when I did, I held it up in the air and let out a triumphant battle cry. My roommates all looked at me funny, and one of the guys that was in our apartment was like, "So?"

So it made me wonder: Have you ever done something that was a huge accomplishment for you but someone else had to go and steal your thunder?

Last edited:
J

Jeffy

One time I finally finished one of those horse-shoe metal puzzles and it took me like an hour to do it, then my brother came by, put it back together and apart again like right in front of me.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
You told me you just bought it though, so it might not have been that mixed up :3

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
i solved my first rubix cube when I was 7.

I took all the stickers off and re-arranged them.

LittleMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
One time I finally finished one of those horse-shoe metal puzzles and it took me like an hour to do it, then my brother came by, put it back together and apart again like right in front of me.
My little brother does that to me all the time. D:
It kills me every time.

i solved my first rubix cube when I was 7.

I took all the stickers off and re-arranged them.
I think I broke one when I was seven by taking it apart...

Arlikra

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Congratulations :D

I never had the patience to solve a Rubik's cube. Hell, I didn't even have the patience to finish peeling the stickers off :laugh:

Role
Diaper Lover
I never had the patience to solve a Rubik's cube. Hell, I didn't even have the patience to finish peeling the stickers off :laugh:
True dat. It usually ends up aggravating me to hell.

Edit: 100th post!!! WOOT :king: I WILL RULE YOU ALL ONE DAY!!! BOW TO ME :worshippy:

Last edited:
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I actually love solving loving rubik's cubes.

I learned when I was in high school how to solve them from these two master guys. They at the time we're learning the 5x5 and 4x4. After getting some courage up I asked how do to 3x3, and they wrote out a crib sheet of algorithims and gave it to me. Took me about two days, and by the next week or two I could solve in less than 3 mins. Still haven't broken 90 seconds though...

In regards to the question at hand, my sister use to steal my thunder all the time. She was really known in school for good grades and for helping teachers. I didn't get a lot of recognition until my family moved. Then I had a chance to make a name for myself; my senoir year a few friends and I made a mockumentary dedicated to our class, and the rest is history.

Besides that, my friends are mean and often try to rain on each other parades. It's all in good spirits. I could see one of them doing the same, "So?" reaction.

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I actually love solving loving rubik's cubes.

I learned when I was in high school how to solve them from these two master guys. They at the time we're learning the 5x5 and 4x4. After getting some courage up I asked how do to 3x3, and they wrote out a crib sheet of algorithims and gave it to me. Took me about two days, and by the next week or two I could solve in less than 3 mins. Still haven't broken 90 seconds though...

[. . .]
Same here, but I lost the sheet... :(

I'll have my friend write down another for me. ^_^

~~~

People here on ADISC are always stealing my chemistry knowledge thunder. :(

Spiro910

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Come on guys... do it by yourselves and not with cheat sheets :/ I wouldn't feel proud by doing it like that.

@OP: Gratz :D

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Congrats, Olivia! I'd end up killing somebody with a Rubik's Cube before I ever had the patience to solve one.

Enjoy your thunder! Don't let anybody steal it (Pojo, this means you! :D)

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I never have been able to get a Rubik's Cube solved, but I have watched other people do it. The process looks so easy but the algorithm(s) evade me. I feel so stupid :(

Role
Private
In my (much) younger days, I had a flat version of the Cube called "Rubik's Magic." It had images of a set of interlocking rings (think the Olympic rings) and connected each flat square to its neighbor(s) with strong monofilament.

As for the cube, I realize that it's all matrix manipulation, but I've not sat down at one in years and don't know the appropriate transforms.

Last edited:

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You guys are too goddamned smart for your own good. "Matrix manipulation"? "Appropriate transforms"?

Holy shit. My brain. My brain!

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Wow! I really admire you! I've never been able to do the Rubix cube!

I was on the tube once and a man was twisting one into all sorts of amazing patterns. It was spectacular.

Skeeter

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I love the Rubik's cube. I can solve it easily but, I admit I had to be taught the basic moves. When the cube was first sold it didn't have any hints in the instructions like they do now.

I read that when Erno Rubik created the cube, he didn't even know if it could be solved. It took him about a month to solve it for the first time. Somebody else had to do the proof that it could be solved from any position.

I had a flat version of the Cube called "Rubik's Magic." It had images of a set of interlocking rings (think the Olympic rings) and connected each flat square to its neighbor(s) with strong monofilament.
You can still buy these at stores. In fact, I saw one at Wal-Mart the other day. The only problem is that it isn't very interesting to play with once you've solved it. It only takes about 10 seconds to solve it too. I still have an original one from around 1985 or so.

Role
Private
You guys are too goddamned smart for your own good. "Matrix manipulation"? "Appropriate transforms"?

Holy shit. My brain. My brain!
Here's the kicker: know how it is that I know this? It's a hoot ... ... ...

One of the leading researchers in steganalysis / steganography (recovering and hiding information in innocuous carriers) also happens to be a speed-cubing champion. I picked up on this while researching my M.Sc. thesis topic.

She's Romanian, and TERRIFYING when it comes to mathematics. She's smart, we'll leave it at that. She has video analysis of her speed-cubing--she has a clip that shows her "out of practice" doing something like 3-5 moves a second, IIRC. Either way, it's incredible.

Now, ask me if I can do any of this myself and I look very ordinary. :smile1:

Status
Not open for further replies.