• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Just got a GPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
So today I went to Fry's to get a router- couldn't find one I needed, so I ended up leaving with an ATI Radeon 4850 HD GPU. With rebate, it's $149.99, I need to send that in. I just couldn't pass that deal up and I really needed a graphics card anyway. I would've gotten the new 4780 but it was overkill for what I wanted, and I plan to put two of them in my dream system down the road, so I'll enjoy what I have for now.

Initial impressions(its been in my comp literally five minutes) are that it was totally worth it! Performance is so much better, so glad I decided to lay down the dough. So my comp is finally complete, I think I put together a pretty good system for the money, it would be hard to beat anyway. Well, I'd liek to stick around, but I have some further testing to do.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
That's a great deal I think. I also don't prefer overkill cards, unless I had money to blow of course but I don't.

Anyways a 4850 can surely run any game on at least medium at 1080 x 1024 (the most standard max res screen size as far as I know) if it can't play them on medium then its most likely maxing it out to nearly every extent.

Will I be able to see you on Steam at all or UT:2004/UT3?

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]1080 x 1024 is not a standard size. Also my laptop 3650 256mb can run most games on full @ 1440 x 990 so the 4850 should definitly be able.
[/font]

Last edited:

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
[font="Calibri,Arial"]1080 x 1024 is not a standard size.[/font]
Well most monitors I seen only go up to 1280 x 1024. It sure does seam like the standard size of monitors if there ever was one.

Also as for your laptop I doubt it can really run games at max res at 30 frames or 60 frames per second. Laptops aren't designed for gaming at all and when they are they are only good for a maybe 2 years playing the latest games. Such as Farcry 2, Bioshock, Crysis, Fallout 3 etc.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Well most monitors I seen only go up to 1280 x 1024. It sure does seam like the standard size of monitors if there ever was one.
O_O Pardon? Most monitors that go up to 1280x1024 are ~17" LCDs, and 15-19" CRTs. There's so many resolutions in the world it's not funny.

Anyways, great deal on the card! Now just grab a copy of COD4 and/or COD5 and meet me on the battlefield >=D!!

I got a real cheap deal on my card, and this thing is matched to an 8800GTS|Superclocked (except the core clock, at 1022MHz instead of 1600MHz), and I get 180-220fps on CoD4/CoD5. It doesn't take much to get a good card these days -- and I'm thankful >=D.

See you on the front lines >=D

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Isn't Radeon notorious for having bad drivers?

Not even drunk. Like, just plain bad. Maybe drunk too.

I really need to get a graphics card. The only one I've ever had made my computer slower, but I got that one from my friend for free :D

Lazy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Incontinent
Isn't Radeon notorious for having bad drivers?

Not even drunk. Like, just plain bad. Maybe drunk too.

I really need to get a graphics card. The only one I've ever had made my computer slower, but I got that one from my friend for free :D
No. You're misinformed! It's just that nVidia has better driver optimization where as ATi has better Image Quality (nVidia lowers image quality slightly to gain performance)

:]

Congrats on the 4850, it's a great card! Plays Crysis on Very High @ 1080x1024 wonderfully, I had a great time playing with it. Though I only had my 4850 for two months before I upgraded XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-inmsI_UO4&fmt=18

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role

Also as for your laptop I doubt it can really run games at max res at 30 frames or 60 frames per second. Laptops aren't designed for gaming at all and when they are they are only good for a maybe 2 years playing the latest games. Such as Farcry 2, Bioshock, Crysis, Fallout 3 etc.
[font="Calibri,Arial"]
I don't have FarCry 2, Crysis etc.That's why I said most games. They're always be a few super high graphics games.

At the first part:

Resolutions on my 17" widescreen laptop:
800 x 600 | 1024 x 768 | 1280 x 720 | 1280 x 768 | 1280 x 800 | 1360 x 768
1440 x 900 (default, if you set it lower than this, it gives a message about poor display at lower resolutions the first time)

my 15" CRT on my old desktop
800 x 600
1024 x 768 (default)
1280 x 720 | 1280 x 768 | 1280 x 800 | 1280 x 1024
(+ when I installed my graphics card's latest driver about 100 others)

my old 15" laptop (widescreen)
600 x 480 | 800 x 600 | 1024 x 768 | 1280 x 720 - All of these resolutions look absolutely terrible on the screen. Text overlaps and pictures look weird
1280 x 768 (default)
1280 x 800 | 1360 x 768 | 1440 x 900 | 1680 x 1050

The ones marked default are the ones it is on if you reset to factory settings. None of them have 1080 x 1024 as a selectable resolution, never mind standard.
[/font]

Last edited:

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
I'm going to bold it, lol;

1080x1024 is not a valid resolution on 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, or 16:10 displays.

Lazy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Incontinent
I'm going to bold it, lol;

1080x1024 is not a valid resolution on 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, or 16:10 displays.
Doesn't mean you can't use it.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
[font="Calibri,Arial"]No. But why would you. Depending on how your computer handles it, it'll either mean a streched/squashed picture or areas of your screen being unused.[/font]

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Well, it has run everything pretty dang good so far! Unfortunately, I can't full advantage of it because I can't use Overdrive. :( Don't have another plug and my PSU only has PCI express power cord...

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Well, it has run everything pretty dang good so far! Unfortunately, I can't full advantage of it because I can't use Overdrive. :( Don't have another plug and my PSU only has PCI express power cord...
I thought it's called CrossFire not overdrive. I know Nvidia's is SLI.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Crossfire is when you install two of the same GPUs in a compatible board. I plan to do that with my next machine. Overdrive is a feature on AMI GPUs that allows you to boost the performance of the GPU. Like overclocking, but without having to mess with your BIOS. The only thing I really want to tinker with is the fan speed. GPU is running kinda hot(about 130*F on average, according to hardware monitor), but I don't know what is considered to be overheating.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Welcome to the 21st century.

Crossfire is when you install two of the same GPUs in a compatible board. I plan to do that with my next machine. Overdrive is a feature on AMI GPUs that allows you to boost the performance of the GPU. Like overclocking, but without having to mess with your BIOS. The only thing I really want to tinker with is the fan speed. GPU is running kinda hot(about 130*F on average, according to hardware monitor), but I don't know what is considered to be overheating.
To help the cooling turn your house temp down and take the side panel off your case, always helps me when things start running a bit hot.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Turning the house temp down is a non-option at the moment- Ac is broke. :\

I can try taking the side off, but when I was having CPU overheating issues, I found that leaving it on actually made for better air flow. The side on my case is pretty vented as it is.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Turning the house temp down is a non-option at the moment- Ac is broke. :\

I can try taking the side off, but when I was having CPU overheating issues, I found that leaving it on actually made for better air flow. The side on my case is pretty vented as it is.

Ah, well mine is a giant piece of plastic and metal, its made for aesthetics....then again I also have...6(?) fans on my case.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Since I overclocked the hell out of my machine, I also have a heat issue.

I do what Fallen suggested; I don't use a side panel on my machine. See;

[link removed]

Sure it's ugly as sin, but I'm getting a new case soon (and PSU). Those fans? They're from a '80s Industrial Air Conditioner used in a GMC factory. Meaning, they're fscking loud.

Don't believe me?

[link removed] (might take a while, might want to right-click --> save as -- if you're even interested xD)

Close up of the fans:

[link removed]

Without those things, the GPU would go up to ~80C. Which is bad. With these puppies, playing Crysis on medium-high; COD4 on Max, CoD5 on Max, stays at a settled 40C. Which is good :).

Last edited by a moderator:

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Well, if they work then great!

I was actually thinking about mounting a small fan on the bottom of my case, so that it will blow air onto the GPU. It should work. The clearance isn't great, but it should be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.